Forums Latest Members
  1. apkesh May 26, 2014

My Omega Speedmaster automatic reduced 3510.50 is failing to retain it's 'charge' . It is 20 or 30 mins behind in the mornings, or sometimes doesn't even move until I reset the time.

I took the watch to the only Omega repair store (Swatch Group) in Toronto, Ontario and they are asking $525 for a full service. I bought the watch used and from what I understand it uses the caliber 1143 and is from around 1996 to 1998

Does anyone know if there are cheaper alternatives? I am willing to send by mail to US if there are credible online repair shops one can recommend.

2. Matty01 Port Adelaide's No.1 Fan May 26, 2014

Australia might be too far... but ive found these guys superb
    http://www.adetimewatchandclock.com.au/ John and Grant

they have worked on 3 watches so far and done flawless work
    [​IMG]
    Full service and replacement crown and polish to caseback was about $500

[​IMG]
    I got back the 125 last Friday with a bill for just on $600 us ... which paid for a light polish, a full overhaul and new crown, gaskets and pusher assemblies.

I get nothing out of promoting these guys other than the delight in sharing my positive experience with them...

Matt

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2014

Al Archer is in Canada, he's very busy though so it might be a wait to get booked in, they don't get any better though.

4. Habitant May 26, 2014

Cost notwithstanding, I believe you'll find that Archer is worth waiting for. Swatch/Omega service has few, if any, friends on this forum.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2014

Just an FYI - I don't service the modular chronographs. I service any other chronograph movement Omega makes, but not these.

Omega in Canada does not sell the parts for the module, so I won't risk taking one apart if I can't get the parts. The only option they offer me is a movement exchange, and the price of that is so much that I would be no cheaper than sending it into Omega, so that is what I usually recommend when people ask me. In fact in Toronto they will do the same - install a movement that has been refurbished, and send the one from this watch off to Switzerland to be refurbished, and subsequently put in some other watch somewhere around the world.

Whoever the OP asks about service they need to make sure that the shop is willing to service a modular chronograph. Many, if not most places refuse these for service. I'm sure there are people out there but I don't think you will be getting any bargain basement pricing on the service.

Cheers, Al

D.D. likes this.
  6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 26, 2014

Is that why these watches have the serial number printed on the caseback rather than the movement?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 26, 2014

Not sure about that as some other markets do supply repair parts as I understand it - not sure why the policy is what it is here in Canada.

8. TNTwatch May 26, 2014

I believe Christian in the UK (Al's buddy) has done service on these sandwich movements for better price than Omega. http://watchguy.co.uk/

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 2, 2014

1143 is the older caliber, and the 3220 is it's replacement.

As I mentioned, because I have little control over the prices, unless I work for nothing, my price will not be different from Omegas.

Send it to them, or move it along and get something else.

Cheers, Al

10. repoman Jun 2, 2014

Hate to say it, but I'd spend the money on a replacement watch, and not look back.