Forums Latest Members
  1. boristhepig Jun 27, 2014

Hi
    This is my first post and my first Omega Seamaster Professional, have been collecting watch's for many years but this is my first with a helium valve. The helium button will not turn I doubt I will ever be diving deep enough to necessitate using it but I am unsure if it is fully screwed down. I do not wish to force it and would appreciate some advice
    Thanks Terry

P1030869.JPG P1030867.JPG P1030863.JPG P1030862.JPG
  2. Hijak Jun 27, 2014

That is not screwed down at all...but I think these are designed to only let pressure out and not let any thing back in. Still it should be looked at and I would be cautious around water/moisture. Your watch is of an age that, if you don't know the service history, it probably could use a service about now anyway.

3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jun 27, 2014

more than likely there is build up of grim and dirt causing it to seize. You can have a watch maker free it up or if you get something to grip the valve (leather glove or something that can give you leverage and not using a plier or something unless protected with a towel or non abrasive material) and turn slowly counter clock to get it to loosen up. The first option is better and less risk of screwing it up.

4. boristhepig Jun 27, 2014

Hi
    Thanks for the advise think i willl take watch to my local dealer over the weekend get them to take a look at the valve and give me a price for a service.
    Thanks Terry

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Jun 30, 2014

You will NEVER dive deep enough to use the Helium relief valve unless you intend or already are a Bell Saturation Diver. Mixed gas diving at extreme depths requires a very high concentration of Helium (replacing Nitrogen in the breathing mix) to minimize the narcotic effect of Nitrogen at great depths. Since Helium is a much smaller molecule than Nitrogen it has the uncanny ability to get through the seals of the watch when in a dive bell under high pressure. On ascent (in the bell) you would open the valve to allow the Helium to equalize to ambient pressure, thus keeping the pressure/volume of the Helium from expanding and rupturing the watch. You would never open the valve while actually "in the water", only when in the bell. Opening the valve while in water will flood the watch. Not a good thing.

6. boristhepig Jul 4, 2014

Hi
    Just to update took the dealer about 2 seconds to free up the valve, it was just very stiff but I didn't want to be the one to force it. Asked them about cost of service they told me about £295 with Omega
    Think I will have a look around for some more quotes first
    Thanks for the help Terry

gpobernardo and tpatta like this.
  7. gpobernardo Oct 3, 2017

This forum may be old, but my Planet Ocean 8500 also had a "stuck" He valve. It only took a few seconds of proper mechanical technique (and tools) to free it up.

8. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Oct 3, 2017

9. mr_yossarian Oct 3, 2017

styggpyggeno1 likes this.