Forums Latest Members

Omega Has A Secret - Caliber 8508 Aquaterra, 1.5 Teslas. Photos From Press Conference

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 16, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-01-17 at 9.11.06 AM.png

I guess we'll find out in about 10 hours

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 16, 2013

Better not be a new constellation that looks like the other new constellations.

Dablitzer likes this.
  3. ulackfocus Jan 16, 2013

Right. Don't expect me to set my alarm for 4:30 AM tomorrow morning to get the big news first.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jan 17, 2013

Antimagnetic to 1.5 teslas

So? Comments? Views?

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

My God... that press conference must be boring!!! Not one decent tweet! I will come back later

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

So 1.5T is the limit of the testing equipment, they don't know what the limit of the watch is. And its a new Calibre 8508, to be released in Basel. Probably a new Railmaster?

The 1.5T part is interesting, the Rolex Milgauss is... 1000 Gauss, which is 0.1T. This watch can be used by MRI technicians, and people exposed to similar fields without damage assuming they use a non-ferrous case and bracelet (ie. Titanium or Gold)

Trev likes this.
  8. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Well guess my Millgauss will be for sale! lol

9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Word and Picture Courtesy of OMEGA.

[​IMG]
    OMEGA announces the first truly anti-magnetic watch movement

OMEGA has announced the creation of a watch that is resistant to magnetic fields greater than 1.5 tesla (15,000 gauss), far exceeding the levels of magnetic resistance achieved by any previous watch and solving a problem that has challenged watchmakers for centuries.
    The movement was introduced at a press conference at the Cité du Temps in Geneva on January 17th by Raynald Aeschlimann, OMEGA Vice President and member of Swatch Group’s Extended Group Management Board. Mr Aeschlimann opened the press conference, welcoming the media and introducing Jean-Claude Monachon, OMEGA Vice President and Head of Product Development, Michel Willemin, CEO of ASULAB, Thierry Conus, the Director of Research & Development at ETA and Mathieu Oulevey, a Tribology and Materials engineer at ETA.

In his opening remarks at the press conference, Mr Aeschlimann gave credit to Swatch Group’s unique ability to benefit from the contributions of the best engineers and researchers from all of its brand and companies. He added, “All of the heroes are here – not only my colleagues from OMEGA but from ASULAB and ETA. It was only through their shared creativity and enthusiasm that we could introduce this important innovation to you.”

The technlogy developed by the team led to the first prototype of the movement, which has been fitted in an OMEGA Seamaster Aqua Terra. Unlike other efforts to combat the effects of magnetism, the OMEGA movement does not rely on a protective container inside the watchcase but on the use of selected non-ferrous materials in the movement itself. Several patents are pending for the new movement.

Jean-Claude Monachon reminded the attendees at the press conference of OMEGA’s long history of technological innovation, showing slides of highlights going back to 1894. He went on to point out that magnetism has always been an issue for watchmakers, adding that magnets are now more present in our daily lives than they have ever been before. Watchmakers have to deal regularly with the issue of magnetism, as it is necessary for them to demagnetize mechanical watches whose performance has been compromised by exposure to magnetic fields, a problem that will be solved with the new movement.

He explained that G. N. Hayek, the CEO of Swatch Group, challenged OMEGA to create a totally non-magnetic watch and announced that OMEGA, with engineers, scientists and metallurgists from its sister companies had met the challenge.

Michel Willemin’s presentation focused on issues of magnetism in daily life. He gave members of the press a brief primer on magnets and magnetism and pointed out that the evolution of the strength of permanent magnets was a key motivation behind the development of the movement.

Thierry Conus explained how magnetism had been dealt with previously, including inner cases designed to limit the effect of magnetism. He pointed out the limitations of the approach including the facts they couldn’t handle the challenge of the increased strength of permanent magnets and that, from an aesthetic standpoint, they block the view of the movement. He then showed a short film showing how a conventional mechanical watch exposed to high levels of magnetism stopped immediately and dramatically lost its accuracy. The OMEGA prototype was subjected to even higher levels of magnetism (15,000 gauss) and continued to perform. Testing showed that the watch was as accurate after its magnetic exposure as it had been before.

A live demonstration was then made that offered compelling and conclusive evidence that OMEGA’s new >15,000 Gauss movement is a landmark development in watchmaking.

OMEGA expects to present the technology at the Baselworld trade fair in April. The new movement, the OMEGA Co-Axial calibre 8508, should be introduced to the market in 2013.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Caliber 8508 Aquaterra

Seamaster_Aqua_Terra_300dpi.jpg
    conférence_presse_omega_17jan2013-12_A4_300dpi.jpg
    I'm guessing the .9 Railmaster was there old answer?
    conférence_presse_omega_17jan2013-2_A4_300dpi.jpg 13-2_A4_300dpi.jpg

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Mildly interesting. Used to own a cal. 8500 AQ (large size with white dial) and sold it as the design to me was rather plain. I much prefer the Hour Vision which is my daily wearer at the moment.

pascs likes this.
  12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Interesting point on this new one, the polished center links on this new version of the Aqua Terra IMO add some more detail and interest to the Aqua Terra design which I always found clean but a little flat.

The second hand is also rather cool, I'd imagine against the black dial, the black parts of the second hand blend into the dial giving the impression at a distance of a segmented yellow line. I think its a handy step in the right direction for the AT design, but I too prefer the dial and case design of the Hour Vision.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 17, 2013

Because its amagnetic by design they wouldn't need a caseback, so I'm guessing this is probably the first anti-magnetic type watch (Railmaster Milgauss etc) that could have a sapphire displayback as well.

14. Sarkosky Jan 19, 2013

Hello!!! From 15.00 gauss...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 19, 2013

VERY NICE, is that on your wrist Sarkosky? I love how because its a prototype watch, instead of having a serial number under one of the lugs, it has NOT, FOR, SALE under the lugs.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 19, 2013

As a concept, I like it a lot - it's a new solution to the problem, and it trounces the competition in the magnetic resistance game. I like it in execution, too, although perhaps not so unreservedly. Is it a rule that antimagnetic watches have to have a showy second hand? This one reminds me a bit too much of Bremont's Martin-Baker ejection-seat-pull second hand.

17. The GMT Master Chris @ ΩF Jan 19, 2013

18. speedbird Jan 19, 2013

I think it's beautifully executed. In the AT line, there is something for everyone.