Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

Hey guys!

I'm interested in acquiring an Omega Globemaster - The name before they bought the rights to Constellation in the US..

I know only of Kyles few..

I was wondering if it is rare to get one with a black dial? Did they make them?

Are they considered rarities?

Which are considered good caliber?

Thanks!

2. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

Just to add..

What's the difference between the ones with 'Globemaster' written on the dial and the single Constellation star?

3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

The "Globemaster" - early US market constellation with the star on the dial is the more desirable model compared to the one with Globemaster on the dial which is a US market watch and is not as collectible as the early connie version.

Any connie globemaster is an uncommon watch. If they exist with an original black dial I would say that was rare and one I personally would try to buy if one came up for sale.

Samir likes this.
  4. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Black dials would definitely be harder to find. One of the members here has a watch with this dial:

[​IMG]

I think the more desired Globemasters are the ones with the bumper movements in them, especially those with the 352. The ones without Globemaster on them are 1st Generation Globemasters while the ones with Globemaster on them are the American assembled ones with American cases. Desmond has a good article here about them.

http://users.tpg.com.au/mondodec//Globemasterpost.pdf

Dablitzer likes this.
  5. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

Thanks - Would the second generation "Globemaster" with subdial and rotor with a black dial be uncommon then? The one I have seen has numerals at 12,3,6 and 9 and the Globemaster script under the Omega script and symbol. and textured dial..

6. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

The one I saw looked like this

image.jpg

7. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

That's definitely a more uncommon dial. Case is in so-so condition though.

8. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

Thats not the actual watch, just the nearest thing I could find..:whistling: Is it the combination of honeycomb and black that make it more uncommon? I have nothing to go off as I've never personally held one like you have! ;)

9. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

It may be uncommon but it is not in demand among vintage omega collectors.

10. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

That's interesting, thanks! If I may ask you. What is actually in demand by vintage omega collector then? Doesn't it depend on what they 'don't' have in their collection, and/or that is in demand or sought after by a general mass appeal? Or just what they in particular are attracted to? I'm only asking as I'm confused and interested at the same time.

11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Mike is right. They are uncommon, but the value just isn't there like the Connie Pie-Pans. The Globemasters are still cool watches though, and if you see one for the price of a SS Seamaster pick it up!

Edit: Was talking about the 2nd gens

Samir likes this.
  12. Dablitzer Feb 1, 2013

It boils down to the question - How much would you be willing to pay for a 14k gold black waffle dial 2nd generation Globemaster. And that all depends on your priorities, I guess!

13. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

In all honesty, the US market globemaster branded omega isn't on the radar of most of the serious vintage omega collectors - even those who specialize in constellations. For me it's not an issue of getting as large a variety of vintage omegas as I can - I would rather have 10 of the exact same model if I love the model than 10 different omegas none of which I find particularly interesting. The speedmaster is a good example - I and other collectors have no problem accumulating as many cal. 321 speedmasters as we can - it would be nice to have as many different case references as possible but have no problem having many multiples of the same watch.

14. apollo XI Feb 1, 2013

The only thingh I know is that this tipology of watch is Rare and I would like to find one, perhaps with black dial.

Giuseppe.

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

Maybe I can clarify this a little bit...

The 1st generation Globemasters, made from 1952-55, were identical in every way to the original Constellations made during the same timeframe. Same movements, case referenced, movements, cases and logo. Only difference is the lack of any model name on the dial. I've never seen a black dialled 1st generation Globemaster. I don't believe that these sell for a premium in the marketplace over an equivalent Constellation. Maybe the same as a contemporary Constellation, or a bit less, all other factor being equal. To me, it's a nice conversation piece.

The 2nd generation Globemasters, made from 1958-62?, were totally different than any other model made by Omega. These have Swiss movements mated to US made cases (as was common in that time period), were only sold in the US and had the "Globemaster" name on the dial. The movements were generally considered obsolete by Omega (cal. 491, 501 and 520) and were likely sold on the cheap to Norman Morris, Inc. I don't think it fair to compare the market prices on these to Constellations.

The dial pictured is for a 2nd generation Globemaster, cal. 491.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

16. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 1, 2013

I feel a bit differently - I think they are worth the same or perhaps a bit more than the typical connies everything else being equal. But I certainly know a few others who share your opinion and frankly haven't really had a chance to closely monitor and compare market prices.

Samir likes this.
  17. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Feb 1, 2013

definitly! And I know some who are even crazy about the different sub case references and little dial differences ::jumpy:: ::screwloose:: :D

18. justin.moore Apr 2, 2013

Absolutely love mine, its my daily wear with a dark brown lizard strap

image (1).jpeg
    Samir and Dablitzer like this.
  19. Dablitzer Apr 2, 2013

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1364916052.718400.jpg

I know. Mine on handmade French lizard ;)

20. dandog Oct 25, 2023

If anyone reads this thread again, could you please give me an opinion on this example.
    IMG_5182.jpeg

Samir likes this.