Forums Latest Members
  1. ClareCon Jul 11, 2016

OMEGA GENEVE AUTOMATIC CALIBRE 491 MENS VINTAGE WATCH WITH PAPERWORK C1958

Please can I have an experienced opinion on this watch? I would like to buy it as a gift but unsure on it's quality.
    Thank you in advance

image.png image.png image.png image.png
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 11, 2016

Dial has been re-done, sub-second hand is wrong, case has lost sharp definition from polishing, WAY overpriced.

There will be better around.

cristos71 and OMGRLX like this.
  3. ClareCon Jul 12, 2016

Thank-you for your help. Roughly how much would you expect to pay for this, he may be open to offers?
    I'm struggling to find any others.

thanks Clare

4. heavenscloud Jul 12, 2016

This reference was my first vintage Omega and I've only seen a few for sale since I purchased it in late 2014. Much of the beauty of this watch lies in the sharp bevels of the case and bezel, which have been dulled by over-polishing. I would wait for a better example.

OMGRLX likes this.
  5. Willem023 Jul 12, 2016

By the looks of it they lurrf the polishing wheel and pride themselves in 'fully restored' dials....::facepalm1::

Pass.

OMGRLX likes this.
  6. ClareCon Jul 12, 2016

ok, thank you very much for all the advice.
    Do you have any recommendations of where to look for people selling these please?

7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 12, 2016

I've been collecting Omegas for a number of years (too many to count).

I'm still looking to find one of these to suit me (condition, originality, price).

It's not like buying a pre-owned Toyota

heavenscloud and OMGRLX like this.
  8. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 12, 2016

How much time do you have? Any other requirements?
    People new to vintage watches and those buying gifts frequently gravitate towards watches that look shiney and new. Such pieces are often have dials that have been repainted and cases that have had all of their original contours polished off. Experienced collectors would prefer a scratched case with its' original edges intact and a dial with some patina.
    I suggest you take a look at the sales forum here, where questions will be raised if anything is misrepresented.

9. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jul 12, 2016

It’s quite difficult to advise without knowing a bit more. There are a lot of questions that help to narrow this down. For example:-

Why vintage?

What style does the recipient currently favour?

Is the recipient male or female? In this case I’m assuming male.

Does he collect watches, and if so, do you know what sort he collects?

What is your budget?

And that’s just for starters ;)

You will get some helpful advice, and that already given should be taken on board. However, if the intended recipient is not a collector who appreciates signs of age/patina, then there is little point in getting him a watch that while I’m sure would get appreciative comments on receipt, will sit in a drawer as it will not truly appeal and get worn.

Willem023 likes this.