Forums Latest Members
  1. JAC Oct 29, 2013

I currently own an 1962 Omega Geneve: http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/history/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15107

I'm the second owner and I bought it off Ebay. I have no idea when it was last serviced but it looks like its been awihle.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The watch will start and stop. If I tap the side of the case it will eventually start ticking away again but only for <30 seconds, at which point I have to re-tap. Is this due to it needing to be serviced or is there an issue with the dial hands. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Jon

2. Lex4TDI4Life Oct 29, 2013

Cool watch...cooler avatar :thumbsup:

3. JAC Oct 29, 2013

:) Thanks!

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 29, 2013

I can't see a problem with the hands or dial.

On the other side though :eek:

The evidence of water intrusion is shown by the amount of corrosion on numerous screws, the barrel and crown wheels, the stem and the balance/pallet/escape (the heart of a watch).

I can't see the clutch (keyless works) but I suspect there's a nasty amount of rust there too.

A grain of dust can stop a watch, the bits of rust growing in yours will do it no good.

The 601 is a pretty bullet proof caliber but won't survive long if not cared for.

Call an ambulance and get it to a good watchmaker and request a service, i.e. strip, clean, oil and adjust.

Oh, nearly forgot, don't wind it or keep on trying to make it work, it's not like a human that needs CPR until it gets to hospital, it needs to be completely at rest to prevent further damage.

And I don't like your avatar, it's creepy and it scares me ;)

5. JAC Oct 30, 2013

I knew it wasn't that good when I took a look, but thank you for your input. Is there a general guesstimate of what a servicing for this would cost. I can't really find anyone in my area that seems reputable and not charging $600 without even looking at the watch. Any watch repairmen capable on this forum or that someone would know around the Orlando/Clermont area of Florida.

And upon further inspection the screws in the picture are darker and appear way more rusted than in person.

-It's an album cover. :D

Thanks,

Jon

6. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Oct 30, 2013

Looks to me like it just might be in need over a service. My guess is an overhaul should run in the 150-200$ range, if not parts are needed. I could be off on the number. I don't know of anyone in your area, but perhaps GatorCPA would?

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2013

The movement doesn't look that bad to me. I do see some "residue" on some of the polished surfaces like the pallet fork and escape wheel, so this could mean some moisture was inside the watch. Difficult to say what the full cost will be since we don't know if any parts are needed other than a new mainspring, but general service on something like this would be $200 from me, plus parts.

These are usually very good movements, so it's worth getting serviced.

Cheers, Al

8. JAC Oct 30, 2013

Alright cool, thank you for the information. I'm just debating whether I should return it, get a refund and try to find one recently serviced in running condition. While going through the trouble of spending more money getting it serviced and the trouble of sending it in to someone, so bear with me.

Thanks,
    Jon

9. John R Smith Oct 30, 2013

Frankly, you should reckon on getting anything bought on eBay serviced whether the seller says it has been serviced or not (unless they can produce a receipt for the work, of course).

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  10. JAC Oct 30, 2013

True, I just feel weird buying something "broken". I'll most likely end up keeping it because the dial, hands, case are in great condition compared to the others I've seen. I do not know if anything has been retouched but it doesn't seem like it, the crystal hasn't been replaced either as far as I know. Just had high hopes of wearing it.

Archer let us assume that the parts that are most likely to be damaged are. Since I do not know much about the inner workings if a few were damaged what would be the cost for parts?

11. Patrick Dixon How do these messages get here? Oct 30, 2013

IME as a watch repair customer, most watches just need a clean and adjustment and a new mainspring but if someone has been in and 'fiddled' before you, almost anything is possible.

You could try asking for a contribution towards a service - given that it's not actually running and was presumably declared to be.

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2013

Bingo - it should be factored into the purchase price IMO.

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 30, 2013

Well it's not really "broken" just in need of service. It may need no movement parts or a lot of parts, but I would lean closer to no parts based purely on what I see there.

I would count on replacing the mainspring, case back gasket, crown, maybe stem, and possibly the crystal. Those would be $90 or so...

If movement parts are needed, they can vary in price from a few dollars to $500 on a typical movement. I don't think yours will need any, but you can see the difficulty in giving guesstimates...

Cheers, Al

Daniel B likes this.
  14. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2013

You could take to the Orlando Watch Company in downtown Winter Park. Scot is Omega trained and capable. I'm sure you could get a service estimate.
    1869.jpg

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 1, 2013

Slightly off topic but some of my favourite watches have been bought non-running but clean looking. When buying vintage a lot of recently serviced watches are also polished by the seller to maximise price on sale. Any good watchmaker can fix a time only 500/600 series Omega movement, but restoring the edge to a bezel that's been buffed smooth is another story. That's why raw and unserviced beats prettied up for sale / ready to wear pieces in many people's eyes.

JAC, Stewart H and SpikiSpikester like this.
  16. JAC Nov 1, 2013

They quoted me at $325-$395. Which is more than I'm willing to pay.

17. JAC Nov 1, 2013

Yea makes since. Just when the seller says it is in working order, I expect it to be so. I just don't want to pay more for the servicing than what the watch cost me. I understand in the long run it will cost more just dont want to spend that now.

18. ulackfocus Nov 1, 2013

If you're willing to ship it, Steve / N2FHL can fully service it for at least $100 less. Worth contacting him. He does many of our watches. Shoot me a message if you're interested.

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Nov 1, 2013

A three hand watch should cost no more than £150.00 ($225.00) to have serviced, plus the cost of any parts - other than a new mainspring.

As a hobbyist, I reckon on half a day for a watch with three hands and date.

JAC likes this.