Forums Latest Members
  1. rollee Feb 8, 2018

I have my father's Geneve 136.0098 cal 613 from the 70s. AFAIK it has never been serviced and was in a box for the past 30 years. I wound it up and it is working, date change is at 11:56.
    Currently it is running fast by 6 seconds in the past 5 hours, looks like everything is original, Omega logo is seen at centre of crystal and even the lume glows faintly.
    The dial, indices and hands are clean like new, photo below was bad due to lightning and scratches on crystal.
    I plan to service this watch and wear it in memory of my dad.

I like to learn some technical information on this watch.
    1. Is the power reserve rated around 40 hours.

2. There's no T next the Swiss Made, is the lume tritium?

3. After service, can I expect -4/+6 or better accuracy.

4. The case is clean without dents whereas the crystal is well used, I like to keep the case untouched but can the crystal be polished? Is it hesalite?

5. I read the Geneve is like a predecessor to the Seamaster, can someone clarify this.

6. The watch can be wound without pulling the crown, there is no hacking of the movement and I noticed an odd behaviour in the date change, by pulling the crown full out (position 2) the date jumps ahead, are these normal?

7. This watch came with a leather strap, but I saw bracelet photos on google, was it true and what is the part number?

8. The caseback is without any engraving, should it have an Omega logo?

Any suggestions and recommendation is very much appreciated.

IMG_5721.JPG IMG_5716.JPG
    Edited Feb 8, 2018
  2. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 8, 2018

I'll answer the questions I can and leave the remaining queries to others.

6. That's what it should do.
    7. Normally a leather strap, which would also reduce any unnecessary wear on your well-preserved lugs.
    8. Geneve case backs are not engraved.

It looks to be a beautiful watch.

rollee likes this.
  3. rollee Feb 8, 2018

Thank you for the reply.
    Its truly a classic looking piece and have plenty of potential, I would like to use this watch with bright colour straps.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 8, 2018

Many Genèves are engraved with the Seamaster logo, many aren't.

Davidt likes this.
  5. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 9, 2018

1) The power reserve is actually 48 hours when healthy.
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_613

2) Yes the lume is most definitely tritium

3) Depends on who does the service but yes in the main that level of accuracy sounds achievable.

4) Yes probably hesalite.

5) No not a precursor, a separate line, often used for more dressy less waterproof manual wind watches originally a small step down from Constellation and made in a factory in Geneva (though there were also autos and chronometers labelled Geneve). After 1967 when the Geneva facility closed the name was used on models lower down the range or out of the ordinary stuff like the Chronostop and f300. Yours is a nice mainstream piece but would have been at the cheaper end of the price list, I had one just like it.

You already have good answers to the rest but I would add:

7) probably a 18mm beads of rice bracelet, I have one and will check the number but it is the end links you need to be careful about as they are fitted to the case profile. I have no idea what end link would work with that case but examples include no12 and no14, there may be more. My example was also on a leather strap.

Edited Feb 9, 2018
    rollee likes this.
  6. ChrisN Feb 9, 2018

That's a great resource but has some errors. Omega quote a reserve of 38 hours for these:
    613.png

Regarding +4/-6, it's possible but not necessarily easy if there is wear on the movement. You'd need it serviced properly and set up over five positions at both "full wind" and "full wind +24 hours" and most watchmakers won't do that.

It's a nice watch in a proper classic design.:thumbsup:

Regards, Chris

Archer and padders like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 9, 2018

Yikes! I had no idea that there were mistakes on there, I always treated is as gospel. Many thanks for the heads up, I'll double check in future.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 9, 2018

I made the same assumption just recently where I figured the power reserve of a 601 would be much the same as a 611 or 613 (where I consulted my tech guides). However, it's apparent that Omega not only changed the numbers, but mainspring sizes as well. So the 600 series can have various power reserves.

padders likes this.
  9. Passover Feb 9, 2018

2. Tritium T marking was only used during a certainy period, as far I know the marking only was used up to around 1970

4. You can easily polish the crystal yourself with Polywatch

[​IMG]

Edited Feb 9, 2018
    rollee likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 9, 2018

It's a handy resource, but as I've said many times, it far from being completely accurate. I often see mistakes there...

All 600 calibers use the same mainspring. All have the same power reserve.

Cheers, Al

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 9, 2018

Quite right, Mainspring 600/1208.
    The problem with having too many documents open at once and not checking which one is being referenced. :whipped:

Interesting that Omega is to blame for some of the confusion.

Omega Technical Guide No 17 Dated 1960 - Caliber 610. Power Reserve 50 Hours.

OTG_17_610.png
    OTG610T.png ::love::

Omega Technical Guide TG-19C-106-FDES Dated 1960 - Caliber 610. Power Reserve 38 Hours.

OTG610N.png

12. COYI Feb 10, 2018

I have the exact same reference but with a blue dial. I really enjoy wearing mine. It's a great watch to wear in memory of your father and has a really solid in-house Omega movement.

Mine runs very accurately but I wouldn't necessarily expect chronometer grade accuracy after a service. It's a vintage watch after all.

I think all your questions have been answered but let me know if you need any more information.

IMG_20180210_130623807.jpg

rollee and Spruce like this.
  13. COYI Feb 10, 2018

By the way what was the definitive answer to the power reserve? When I tested mine it was in excess of 48 hours.

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 10, 2018

F1DD5F06-E769-437C-84A2-681A12EE176B.jpeg Here’s mine, now gone. Looks the same (interestingly has the Ts though) but is 136.070, still with 613 movement. 1970 serial

Edited Feb 10, 2018
    Spruce likes this.
  15. COYI Feb 10, 2018

Mine is the 136.0098 which is a slightly later model and dates to the early 1970s.

The lume to the hands and hour markers is definitely tritium but it is correct for this reference to have a 'dash' rather than a 'T' either side of the Swiss Made. Also note this reference doesn't have lume plots at 3,6,9 & 12.

rollee likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 10, 2018

COYI likes this.
  17. rollee Feb 15, 2018

It is great to hear your responses.
    This past week I was timing and cleaning my watch, it is running +51s and have a power reserve of 49+ hours. Tritium still glows faintly to my amazement. Non lume plots on 3-6-9-12. Watch was purchased brand new and was never serviced, it is quite a miracle to see it running consistently after 38 years in the box. I am so happy to see the cal 613, the 35mm size and thin bezel made incredible wrist presence.

Coyi your watch is gorgeous, mine is also 136.0098 from the 346xxxxx serial year is 1972. Nice to see a blue dial with white hands and indices. Which leather strap is yours? Did you polish your watch case?
    Padders, there are small differences, like your silver seconds hand and Swiss Made T above longer minute indices.

I am having this watch serviced, the beauty of the copper cal.613 took my breath away. The dial is pristine and I have successfully used Polywatch on the hesalite crystal, things are coming back to life.
    There are fine hairline scratches on the case nothing dent or major, I decide to leave it untouched as memories and for character of the watch.
    I like to ask about the original Omega leather strap, where is the best place to get one? I saw the Omega logo on the buckle having 2 appearances, one is protruding on the buckle whereas another is imprinted into the buckle. Which is correct for the 1972 Geneve?

After service I will post updates, this watch is truly a classic and made me smile when I see the 2 tone hands / sun ray silver dial sparkle in the light, the lume plot have turned a beautiful yellowish patina, and I am getting a new leather strap for it.

On another note, does anyone know if its possible to custom make a see through case back. I like to show the beauty of the cal 613, with that possibly making my Geneve unique a world first :)

Edited Feb 15, 2018
  18. rollee Feb 23, 2018

The watch is back from the great hands of the watchmaker, I left the case untouched as memory and character. His work is exemplary in absolute perfection, I am thoroughly impressed. Thank you SE of Toronto, a first class job highly recommended.
    Accuracy: +5.5s
    Power reserve: 49+ hr
    All lume plots on dial and hands are glowing and intact

IMG_9310.JPG
    Edited Feb 23, 2018
    Spruce and Passover like this.
  19. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Feb 23, 2018

Looks great.