Forums Latest Members
  1. StevieJ81 Jan 25, 2018

Hi All,
    I am new to watch collecting and this forum.
    Just wanted to get a bit of a steer from people who know alot more about vintage Omegas than I do.
    I have a chance to buy a Geneve Dynamic with the checker board face.
    The price is £350, I have only seen photos so far (see attached) and these do not include the movement (which I have asked to see)
    I just wanted your initial impressions based on the pics I have if this is a) legit and / or b) a Screenshot_20180124-203206.jpg 20180124_202838.png 20180124_202858.png good buy or not.
    I look forward to your responses.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. fjf Jan 25, 2018

That case has been polished to death. Not a good buy.

Noddyman likes this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 25, 2018

I agree, nice dial but the case should have a radial brushing from the dial to the edge. That's been polished away.

The movement is accessed through the case front, the crystal is removed. Takes a special tool even a lot of watch enthusiasts won't have.

Noddyman likes this.
  4. StevieJ81 Jan 25, 2018

Thanks guys.
    Looks as though I should walk away from this one then.
    Appreciate the bullet dodge ;)

5. Vanallard Jan 25, 2018

Noddyman and StevieJ81 like this.
  6. mikechi22 Jan 28, 2018

I’m not expert enough to contradict the respected Members above, but I do recall reading in that blog that the second iteration of these watches had a polished steel finish. Now it’s possible that it’s from the earlier iteration so the guys are correct, but even still, that price doesn’t seem at all bad.

I just bought one in great shape from another member on here for $600, to give the market some context. Also, I haven’t seen many racing dials like this with a black/Gray/blue background ... a guy from Spain just got one and loves it ... so I think it’s an interesting piece. I’m not seeing your pictures well, so I can’t comment on the originality of the dial or whether it’s obvious that this one started life with a brushed finish, but I’d surely want to know more!

Anyway, these are nice watches, very comfortable and cool looking in the wrist. The price you’re being quoted is less than I paid for 3 of the four I own. So, I’m not so sure you should just drop this one. I’d at least ask for more photos, see if the guy knows what movement is in there, etc. if it’s been serviced, despite the polish, it’s priced to wear!

7. Noddyman Jan 28, 2018

With patience and an extra £50 - £100 I think you can do much much better.
    Lots of choice with these Dynamics and plenty available in the UK.