Forums Latest Members
  1. andya Nov 4, 2011

Hi guys,

I am new here so a warm hello from me :) I am also new to Omega

I have got a chance of buying one of these it's a silver racing dial it may have a NOS dial on it well that's what the owmer has told me I don't know anything about these so here are the case numbers etc can anyone make any sense of these and does it make sense. It has the 1481 calibre inside the case reference is ST166.108. it is on a bracelet which I am told is correct for that model, is this true?

It has some lovely orange on the hour markers and also the lume on the hands is orange with an orange second hand does this sound correct?

this is also what the owner has told me written below

Hi Andy, yes the dial is NOS, the bracelet is original refurbished Omega - and perfectly correct for the model. I have a print off from the OmegaeMuseum which confirms ST 1153/138 bracelet is correct.

Genève – Dynamic I Racing dial Reference ST 166.0108 Movement 34719290, 1481 calibre.

I just can't seem to find an omega picture library how much should I pay for one of these ist looks to be in superb condition.

lastly how would I know if it was an NOS redial?

thanks in advance

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2011

Could you post some pics of the piece in question?

3. andya Nov 4, 2011

Hi there,
    Thanks for reply and any help/advice will be much appreciated as I know nothing about these watches. I need to know if it is original with the correct bracelt and did the hands have orange lume, also how much should i pay for this watch?
    thanks
    Andy

4. pmontoyap Nov 4, 2011

Nice watch, The price could be anywhere between $300 to $600 for mint condition or original watch, or more if it has box and papers. From the pictures I can see some type of rash on the case which leads me to believe the watch has been heavily used and polished at some point. I personally wouldnt want a watch with those marks. Also the orange details in the hands are probably touched up. And from what I could search all the dials that have orange hour indicators are presented as REFURBISHED DIAL, so I couldnt confirm an original one could have that color scheme. the letters GENEVE dont look correct ti me. As for the movement I have no idea, Good luck

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 4, 2011

As far as what to pay, hard to say, I LIKE it, frankly more than any other Geneve Dynamic dial I've seen, it looks great and very unique. $300-600 is par for the course used, these are not high demand pieces. As strange as it sounds, with a piece like this I think you're buying a look more than a collectible, and there's nothing wrong with that, as its a great look, but as to the dial and hands being refinished, while I can't tell myself, I also doubt most people in the market for one of these really care about the fine accuracy of it. It reminds me of my Seamaster 300 remanufactured parts watch in that looking at it from a fine horological sense isn't as important as looking at it from an "is it serviced, and does it look cool" sense.

Not what you normally hear on a vintage Omega, but that's my take here.

6. ulackfocus Nov 4, 2011

It's either a service replacement dial or a very good refinish. Most sellers don't know what NOS truly means or they use the term loosely. Still, it's a cool watch and I could see going $300 - $425 for it just because it's different.

Be aware that it's probably put together from parts that fit but weren't meant to go together from the Omega factory. We call these frankens. That watch should have a 1000 series caliber inside - either a 1012 with just a date or a 1022 with day & date.

Almost forgot - it wasn't meant to come with a bracelet. If the first number of 166.0108 were a 3 instead of a 1 then it would have come on a bracelet when new. It was probably added by the seller.

7. andya Nov 5, 2011

Wow :) thanks for the info guys. It has the 1481 cal inside but from what you knowledgeable guys have just told me I am not going to buy it as he want's £300 pounds for it and I like watches to be original so as nice as it looks it's not for me but without a your help I would be none the wiser so thanks :)

Andy

8. Steve Nov 5, 2011

The rash you refer to, is that the 'pitting' on the lugs ?

9. pmontoyap Nov 5, 2011

Hi Steve, yes that is what I'm refering to. English is my second language sometimes I have to use not so correct terms. My second choice would have been celullitis LOL