Forums Latest Members
  1. iMikkel Feb 5, 2020

Dear All

I inherited an Omega Geneve Dynamic from my dad.
    The watch has great affection value for me and I therefore plan to have it refurbished.

Are there any, who have experience/good advice on where to start and where to end? I think the dial should be changed, maybe the glass should be plastered/changed and then a new strap.

I have been told by a watchmaker that it is a cal. 562/565 watch, so the parts I get should fit this. Do you know any places, online, where this can be purchased. Links and suggestions are received with great gratitude.

Bw Mikkel

4901EB02-5BDD-447E-8E41-690DD08A723D.jpeg 0FA59824-E593-403A-9CF7-4C40C17C0839.jpeg 04BB5C4C-313A-4294-8C64-6EFA02FF19EE.jpeg F72D7EF6-96D6-42DA-819B-E184D97D1E4C.jpeg

2. ChrisN Feb 5, 2020

Hi Mikkel

It's a very nice memento and deserves to be brought back to life.

If you want it to look like new, then your best bet is probably to send it to Omega.

Other independent watchmakers can source the dial and crystal plus a bracelet/strap so, if you want some control over what is done, then say where you are and someone will suggest a watchmaker you can use. Don't try to buy parts, leave that to the person who will work on the watch.

It does look like a 550 series to me as well and these are well supported for movement parts so, it should be possible to bring it back to working well for everyday use.

Good luck, Chris

3. iMikkel Feb 6, 2020

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your response. It matters!

I didn't know that Omega repaired vintage watches. It does seem a bit expensive to me though, despite the high affection value :)
    I think I'm going for an independent watchmakers.

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. If anyone knows a good place, please let me know.

bw Mikkel

4. KingCrouchy Feb 6, 2020

Going with an independent Watchmaker sounds like the best way to go. Here some good Watchmakers in Denmark:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/looking-for-a-good-vintage-watchmaker-ind-denmark.100462/

Looking forward seeing this Watch comeback to life.:thumbsup:

iMikkel likes this.
  5. momosono Feb 6, 2020

Why change the bracelet?
    These watches need a special kind of bracelet which Omega doesn't supply anymore.
    Finding a good aftermarket one is not going to be easy, especially a steel one.

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. Walrus Feb 6, 2020

You can find them everywhere but it seems 98% are fake.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  7. ChrisN Feb 6, 2020

Because the OP specifically said he wanted to?

It's his watch and if he wants to change then it seems fair that he can. We shouldn't have an issue with that.

Chis

8. connieseamaster Feb 6, 2020

Omega sells a bracelet that will fit this watch (and the adapter ring if you want to put a leather strap on it) but it's slightly different than the original version in that the center of the link is slightly wider. So you can't mix old and new bracelet parts :(

9. Walrus Feb 6, 2020

Ya that’s cool probably the best route to go as they are all over esty and several other sites with omega stamps on the bracelet but fake as the day is long. My dynamic is the same color scheme as the OP. I really like it. They look great on steel. I have the “leather” band. It’s that foam type one I forget what it’s made of despite looking it up before I bought it. So good on OP being an heirloom I would go all out restoring it. We don’t get heirlooms all the time. If you choose to send it to omega I’d love to see pics when they are done.

Edited Feb 6, 2020
  10. iMikkel Feb 6, 2020

Dear All

You've given me a lot to think about. Initially, I had imagined something like the attached image.
    But as I wrote, it is an heirloom so I would also like it as I remember it from my childhood.

If I send it to Omega, the minimum price is $ 1,834.90 :eek:
    Omega Geneva 2.jpeg

11. Walrus Feb 6, 2020

Ya that is a very real consideration. You could get a mint one for less than that. I’ve had good fortune with local omega certified watchmakers maybe you can seek some out get some estimates. It won’t be cheap but it will be much less than 1,800

12. iMikkel Feb 7, 2020

But do you think an independent watchmaker can make the dial look nice again? That is my biggest concern.

13. momosono Feb 7, 2020

First of all have your watchmaker open the case and verify the calibre inside and the size of the dial and postion of the feet.
    Then look in the for sale section of the forum and on the bay for a replacement dial. They can be found.
    There's a seller in Italy who has two dials for sale right now. But just going for them without knowing what you need is not the right way of doing things.
    They look OK to me but I'll leave it to the Dynamic experts to shed their light.
    https://www.ebay.de/itm/Quadrante-O...256323?hash=item1f00bb3a43:g:as4AAOSwqwddaiMKPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    And it is possible to make an offer.
    [​IMG]

And as for sending it to Omega: forget the price and look around on the forum what people think of sending watches to Omega.
    The consensus seems to be that watches usually come back from Omega with non period correct parts and heavily polished so they may look nice but have lost all their collectors charm and value.

iMikkel and connieseamaster like this.
  14. connieseamaster Feb 7, 2020

As others have said, your most cost effective bet would be to find a donor dial from a parts watch or a seller with a minty stand alone dial. The dial on your watch would need to be fully refinished (which is probably a large chunk of the estimate from Omega).

15. lillatroll Feb 7, 2020

I absolutely agree with the sentiment of wanting your father's watch to be restored as a way of remembering him but I think in this case a replacement dial would be the way to go or leave the watch as it is and have the mechanism serviced. Hopefully having the original dial to look at from time to time would be a reminder for you of your father.
    My second option would be to buy a brand new watch that you feel would be a fitting reminder of your father. I did this when my mum passed away. It only has significance for me but it reminds of her when I put it on.

iMikkel likes this.
  16. malilis Feb 8, 2020

Hello !
    Any competent watch smith should be able to service the movement, no problem !
    To find a replacement dial is very possible, see eBay proposals. To replace or repolish the crystal is easy.
    As to the leather band, it's true that the original corfam material bands from Omega are long gone .. but you can easily find a leather band for the Dynamic on eBay again (cheap .. something like 30.€) or you could go the way I choose and get a band made by MartuLeather :
    Gax9jC.jpg
    Good luck !

17. iMikkel Feb 8, 2020

I have a plan :)

I have allied myself with an independent watchmaker. An older man who has refinished watches all his life (such a store you only see in movies).
    Fortunate he has an original omega leather strap in blue. I replace the dial (via ebay, thanks to momosono). The crystal will be plastered or changed depending on what can be done. We have agreed on a price of about 600 USD (without the strap), which I think is fair.

Thank's to everyone - thanks for your ideas and good advice. It has helped me a lot!

bw Mikkel

18. wilderbeast Feb 8, 2020

Please post photos back here when the work has been done! I think you’ll enjoy wearing the Dynamic and it’s great that it will get a new lease of life.

iMikkel and KingCrouchy like this.