Forums Latest Members
  1. coromandeler Dec 8, 2013

Hi folks,

I've been trying to source a replacement dial for my Omega Geneve Dynamic Automatic, and have a few questions regarding this. I'm not an expert in this topic at all, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out here! The watch was my grandfathers, and is a generation-1 Dynamic. I'm not sure what the exact caliber number of the movement is: pulling the crown out to the very end (twice) advances the date by one (quickset?). Some online sources mention that this could indicate that the watch is a 565 caliber, although I'm not sure about this. I came across some Geneve dynamic dials ("bulls-eye" pattern) being sold online, which are advertized as being compatible with the caliber 1010 movement. I would like to know if these dials are compatible across calibers - would a dial meant for caliber 1010 fit a 565 (or similar) caliber? The diameter of the dial seems to match (32 mm), but I'm not sure if the position and size of the legs for example are identical across calibers?

Also, does Omega undertake repainting of dials? Any idea on how much this will cost (approximately)? Anyone got one done recently?

Thanks for your time, much appreciated! :)

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2013

A first generation automatic Dynamic with date should be a cal 565. I've never heard of Omega redialling them though - only replacing them with a service dial. Can you post a photo so we can see what condition it's in ?

3. coromandeler Dec 8, 2013

Thanks for the reply SpikiSpikester. I'm attaching a photo below. The dial was repainted around 15 years back in India, and it was very poorly done (as you can see). The original dial colour was blue (bulls-eye pattern). I am hoping to restore it back to its glory days :) ... Other suggestions/pointers in this regard will be most welcome too!

Btw, the back case has the markings "TOOL 107" and "WATERPROOF" embossed on it. It runs fine, and keeps time pretty well.

DSC_0754.JPG

4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 8, 2013

The 1010 and 565 dials are not interchangeable.

5. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2013

Unfortunately that dial is toast. You'll need a replacement.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 8, 2013

7. coromandeler Dec 9, 2013

A quote from Omega sounds great. I will prefer to get the first dial on that page (blue and silver, traditional bulls-eye pattern), with image file name 064PP1634020_zps286e378d.jpg . Attaching the same image below. Thanks for offering to look it up!

064PP1634020_zps286e378d.jpg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2013

Okay I'll get you a price, but I just realized that the dials in that thread are for the later 1010 series movements, so these are the options for the 560 series:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the middle one here is what matches the dial you liked from the other thread.

Cheers, Al

9. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 9, 2013

well I know many here think I am a bit crazy, but I love your dial and I wouldn't change it.

the reason is that yours is an original dynamic, and it shows it's history. It will clean up beautifully, without a serious polish, just a clean. Really, to me it is far more special as it is. It is actually quite rare to see an attractive used dynamic.

There are SO MANY so called NOS about, that I like seeing yours. I don't know why there are so many NOS ones, they look like build-ups to me. Indeed I did one myself! To restore this watch will probably cost no small amount, and you might as well buy a NOS. (Keeping this one showing its history).

One theory is that these watches ran out of sales as the 1970's economy shrank, leaving loads of stock all over the world. I did just buy a green dialed day/date that the seller promises was in his safe for 30 years. Yes I'll post a photo when I get it.

At almost anytime you can find NOS ones in eBay, as indeed you can find new dials......and cases.....but not so easily hands. (The correct ones can be tricky but not impossible.)

So I believe this watch is beautiful, and while needing a service and a clean, is a wonderful example as it is. Full of character, patina and history.

very much not like these. All NOS.

Note the brown dial has the incorrect hands. image.jpg

10. coromandeler Dec 9, 2013

Hi Al, yes, the middle one will work best for me. Thanks!

11. coromandeler Dec 9, 2013

Spacefruit, appreciate your inputs. You do have a point there. In my case though, the dial has already been redone once before (around 15 years back), and the quality of workmanship wasn't good. So it's lost the originality already, in some sense? Which is why I'm inclined to get a replacement dial. But will save the current dial, in case I decide to follow your suggestion in future! :)

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 9, 2013

You have a PM with the price - let me know!

Cheers, Al

13. RalphCanada Aug 5, 2014

Hi Al,

I am also looking for a replacement dial for a 1022 movement. Ideally, I'd like to get the dial that is on the first picture you posted (bullseye with blue center). If you can PM me with a price, I'd really appreciate. In advance, thanks for your help! ;)

Ralph