Forums Latest Members
  1. BHou Oct 17, 2014

Hi everyone,

New member here, I've recently been burned on an omega watch I purchased on ebay and I just wanted to get an opinion of things to look out for when shopping on ebay. I'm personally interested in a nice starter piece and was wondering if this Geneve was worth the price (265US) and if servicing would be required. Appreciate all the help. Also curious as it looks pretty similar to seamasters I've seen and wondering why that is.

Cheers.

$_12 (1).JPG $_12 (2).JPG $_12 (3).JPG $_12 (4).JPG $_12 (5).JPG $_12 (6).JPG $_12 (7).JPG $_12.JPG
    Varasc likes this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 17, 2014

The Ω601 is in my opinion, one of the finest manual wind movements ever produced in the history of the universe and that's no eggzaturashun.

Well, maybe not that good, but it's a fine movement and that one looks nice and clean.

The particular model doesn't appeal to me (I like SS cases) but it would make a nice vintage wearer. Price is a mystery to me as the Aussie dollar has turned crapola but our US based cousins may suggest it's wee bit high.

The caseback gasket has turned to goo so get it to a decent watchmaker quickly before you think of wearing it. That black shit can get all over the movement or dial if not handled properly and can be a bitch to clean up.

Let's see it when you have it in your hot little paws.

Raworth and BHou like this.
  3. Sherbie Oct 17, 2014

Also interesting is the buckle, as it looks like the original. I suppose this also gold plate, but if its actual 9K gold ( look for hallmarks), you have US $170 worth of buckle right there, never mind the watch value

cheers, Paul

BHou likes this.
  4. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 17, 2014

Not a bad looking watch, with the box and buckle the asking price wouldn't be outrageous, but closer to $225 would be more reasonable.

Gold plated cases are at the bottom of the food chain as values go, so that keeps the value of this one down.

Servicing is always recommended when buying a used watch, depending on where you are located figure another $100-125 for servicing a hand wind.

Those "Seamasters" you see that look like this are likely Geneves with refinished dials, I see them on eBay all the time. Unscrupulous sellers trying to make a extra buck on the unknowing newbie.

Cyborgpete and BHou like this.
  5. BHou Oct 17, 2014

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice- I ended up going with another Geneve for aesthetic reasons. From the looks of it, it doesn't have the original crown or strap/buckle which will probably make the value even lower but I did like the looks of it more. Although I may have not paid the appropriate value, I suppose its alright since its a gift to myself for graduating university.

Another quick question X350 XJR if you don't mind, when purchasing servicing from a watchmaker what exactly does that include?

Thanks again for everyone's help.
    $_12 (5).JPG

$_12 (4).JPG
    $_12 (3).JPG
    $_12 (2).JPG
    $_12 (1).JPG
    $_12.JPG
    $_12 (7).JPG
    $_12 (6).JPG

6. peatnick Oct 17, 2014

Price sounds fairs since you got original box and strap

[​IMG]