Forums Latest Members
  1. karkay Jul 25, 2018

Hi y'all,
    I recently won an auction for what seems to be an omega geneve 166.041 with a geneve dynamic red/orange hand.
    Does anyone know if this particular setup is original? From what I can tell, the date wheel should be black and the hands should be slightly different. I just really like the look of the orange/red seconds hand which is why I had to have it. I have read online somewhere of franken pieces coming from Korea and this happens to be coming from a seller in Korea. Do you guys think it's original and if not, is it worth keeping on the sole basis that I might enjoy the heck out of the watch. (when it arrives)

FjxAVlc.jpg
  2. Dan S Jul 25, 2018

I am just going to skip to this part of your question because it will make me happier to simply answer "YES".

The dial is repainted, but that was disclosed in the listing, so you already know that.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 25, 2018

Refinished dial and case, very typical from Korea. Very unlikely the dial was originally black however the Orange second hand was a feature on some of this reference.

Dan S likes this.
  4. karkay Jul 25, 2018

haha you guys are awesome; btw do you guys think I overpayed for it? ($560) and how about the resale value? Yeah, I know I didn't do my homework and definitely bought impulsively.
    I believe the orange hand was on a blue sunburst dial because I saw it on an older thread.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 25, 2018

If you like the watch then you didn't overpay, however you are unlikely to get your investment back upon resale, just enjoy it.

Yes, the orange hand was a feature of the blue sunburst pieces.

Dan S and karkay like this.
  6. Vanallard Jul 25, 2018

There are a lot of people new to the vintage watch scene who look for vintage watches that are shiny and look brand new, like the one that you purchased. These sorts of watches don’t appeal to collectors but I doubt you’d have difficulty selling it as there are plenty of people who are looking for this sort of watch.

As mentioned above, the most important thing is that you are happy with your purchase.

kaisiang098 likes this.
  7. karkay Jul 25, 2018

i just wanted to say that I appreciate your opinion because I can see both sides myself. I wanted something vintage but I didn't want the piece to look too beat up and also my budget was quite low so I guess where there is a demand there shall be a supply!

8. kaisiang098 Jul 25, 2018

In my opinion, if that's the case, you should be looking for brand new watches with vintage inspired design. That will make things a lot less complicated.