Forums Latest Members
  1. lillatroll Apr 15, 2015

I was looking through a thread the other day about post count for new members, and someone suggested that newbies should write an article about watches as a way of making a positive contribution to the forum and as a way of showing genuine interest. I thought that learning about one of my watches and sharing it here would be a good starting place.

I thought I would start with this one as it was the first vintage watch I bought. Everything in this post is available from the internet and, in that sense, nothing new to most seasoned watch collectors. It is really, a short summary of what I managed to find out about this particular model. I hope that in the very least people enjoy reading it and can share their knowledge, filling in the gaps along the way.

How long this particular watch was produced for I have not been able to find out for definate. I think it was produced from 73 until 79 but it could be more or less than that. It does not seem difficult to find one of these but they don t seem to be hugely popular either. I think a lot of people might be indifferent to them as collector pieces because they are quartz rather than mechanical, they not interesting enough for people who like a lot of the 70s chronographs that Omega produced at that time. I think it has a bit of understated cool about it but that’s just my opinion.

Watch dimensions
    Top case to bottom 45mm,

Side to side: (without crown) 39mm,

Thickness: (crystal to back cover) 12.5mm

Crystal: diameter is 32mm.

These watches were expensive when they came out, but you can pick them up for very little these days. I paid 950 dollars for mine, which, at the time was about 550 quid, probably more than twice what it is worth in pounds and pence but worth every penny in terms of how much I love this watch.

upload_2015-4-15_11-55-5.png
    (Image of the movement is from the internet and not my watch.)

The movement in this watch is a 1310, someone in another forum said it preceded the 1510 which I believe is considered a better movement and was used in later quartz watches. There is also a 1320 movement with date but no day feature. Having no technical knowledge of watch movements I don t know if it is better.

I found a few discussion threads about these movements and some people said they should be serviced regularly while others said that as long as the battery was replaced as soon as it was needed then they should be left well alone because they could be damaged. Most damage seems to be caused by battery corrosion or the coils being damaged when the battery is being changed. The battery on mine lasts about 18 months which seems about right in regards to what other people said. The general consensus seems to be that with normal wear these movements are durable but if it does go wrong then it’s an expensive fix and are best left alone. Some did say that the seals should be replaced every couple of years too. An Omega watch repairer told me that I should not wear it too often because it is not easy to get hold of parts. I think that STS can do it in the UK if it needs servicing.
    upload_2015-4-15_11-57-1.png upload_2015-4-15_11-57-12.png upload_2015-4-15_11-57-24.png

There are several watches that used this movement including the Seamaster and a Constellation as well as the Genève. There are quite a few different designs available.
    My Watch:
    I bought the watch in LA while on holiday in 2009. The shop owner said his father had left 18 different omega watches in the vault and forgotten about them. He told me it was from 1973 which would make it my birth year watch but having read threads about how watches could be manufactured in one year but not sold until much later I suppose it is not possible to say with certainty that this particular watch was made in 1973. When I bought it there were only two watches left and this one was the one I liked the most. I was a bit skeptical about his story but after trying it on I was going to buy it even if he had told me it was made by leprechauns and covered in fairy dust that attract bear naked ladies on the hour, every hour. (I think this would be a major selling point for any watch manufacturer out there if you are reading this)

How long this particular watch was produced for I have not been able to find out for definate. I think it was produced from 73 until 79 but it could be more or less than that. It does not seem difficult to find one of these but they don t seem to be hugely popular either. I think a lot of people might be indifferent to them as collector pieces because they are quartz rather than mechanical, they not interesting enough for people who like a lot of the 70s chronographs that Omega produced at that time. I think it has a bit of understated cool about it but that’s just my opinion.

I think it is in good condition. It did not come with the original strap and I have not been able to find out what bracelet belongs to this watch. It came with an aftermarket blue leather strap which fell apart last year. It always bothered me that the strap was aftermarket. I liked having a leather strap on it so I bought an Omega strap for it. It has 22mm lugs and it is not that easy to find Omega straps for it, at least older ones, I know that Planet Ocean watches can have 22mm lugs but I don t think they are suitable for my watch. It has two push buttons on the side which require a tooth pick or something small enough to push them in. The top one changes the seconds hand and the bottom one changes the date. If you pull out the crown once it adjusts the hour hand, if you pull the crown twice it changes the minute hand. Mine seems to keep decent time.

I am looking forward to learning more about this watch and others
    cheers
    Stuart

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG],

omega1.jpg SAM_1217.JPG SAM_1218.JPG SAM_1219.JPG SAM_1224.JPG upload_2015-4-15_11-56-0.png upload_2015-4-15_11-56-11.png upload_2015-4-15_11-56-26.png
  2. lillatroll Apr 15, 2015

Not sure how I managed to upload all these photos twice. Sorry. maybe one of the mods could delete the duplicates?

3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 15, 2015

I think you spent a few hours compiling a post just to get you over the 200 barrier.

You could've just replied to any thread with a "nice one" to do that!

;)

And on to proper watch talk.

Thanks for the story and the history of your watch, I always find these discussions more interesting than the "does my bum look big with this Speedie?"

Another question, I have two hummers, does the 1310 make any noise or is it just a quartz stepper (almost silent).

I could go and check a few of my quartz Omegas but sending you on another quest has merit (I don't have to leave the couch ;))

Cheers

Jim

4. lillatroll Apr 15, 2015

Mine is silent at least....I just put it to my ear so i didn't have to go far.:)

Edited Apr 15, 2015
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 15, 2015

Nice watch. The watch looks entirely unpolished, with the grain still very clear.

One thing that we sometimes see in some mk II Speedmasters, for example, is the case being redone, but in the wrong way. Have you been able to find other photos of your model with the grain going the same way?

Not that I am in anyway suggesting your watch isn't correct. But this would be the next stage of your research.

WELCOME

lillatroll likes this.
  6. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 15, 2015

7. lillatroll Apr 15, 2015

I have only found two or three pictures of watches similar to mine, I often wondered how you might tell a polished watch from an original, I know that sometimes you can tell from the edges being more rounded than they should be but I never thought to look at the grain. (learning new stuff already, cool)
    Even if mine is not 100% it wouldn't really bother me. A would not buy a redial or franken but a bit of a polished case would be acceptable to me.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Apr 15, 2015

Good thread here
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-mark-ii-case-refinishing.9970/

Working out if something is over polished is the hardest thing for me too. Look at the excellent examples in some of these threads and you can see how sharp some of the bezels are, etc.

Look at chuck maddox's wevsite and his photos of pristine speedies and compare that to some of the trash on fleabay and you can really see the differences.
    Daniel

9. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

I don't know of anyone who's redailed megaquartz's other than the museum/ Omega Bienne who will restore anything on request (simply because it is not economically viable as the values aren't there). I have a good knowledge of Megaquartz and the watch looks completely original to me. MQ32KHz represented some of the best value Omegas for me, they were incredibly expensive when new, the build quality is exemplary and the testament is that they are still going strong now.

I've owned 30-40 of these and keep a few in my collection, including a few prototypes

Edited Apr 21, 2015
  10. lillatroll Apr 21, 2015

Hello tom
    Do you happen to know what the bracelet number is for this watch and if I could get one in the UK?

11. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 21, 2015

I know you're not addressing me, but the easiest way is to start with the case number, which is on the case back, and then check a wholesaler/retailer like Cousins in the UK or Otto Frei in the US. Since that looks like it takes a straight end, just about any bracelet with a straight end of the proper size would work.

Tom

12. lillatroll Apr 21, 2015

Hello Tom,
    Thanks, all help appreciated.
    Do you happen to know if omega always used the same bracelet for A particular model or did they use what they had available for each production run. I know it is a bit anal but for some reason not having the correct strap bother me. I will take it to a watchmaker and get him to take the back of it so I can have a look.
    Cheers
    Stuart

13. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

This model came in two executions, strap model (which you have) and bracelet, the bracelet model had an integrated bracelet which attached to the case (specially adapted). Your best bet for a bracelet is to fit an aftermarket one, I can always help with a period Omega if you need a leather band.

I have about 10 articles on various Omega models to upload to wikipedia, including the 1310. It was a real land mark for Omega as it was their first mass produced in house movement. The beta 21 obviously came first but was hugely expensive to manufacture and sell and the 1500 family of watches, again outrageously expensive to develop, manufacture and hugely expensive to buy (by far the most expensive watches in Omegas line up)

The 1310 represented Omegas first foray in to the world of in house relatively high number produced quarts watches and really is extremely well made and reliable. The motors are the most susceptible part of the watch along with the circuits but these are easily sourced and there are masses of variations of model with 1310 which can be picked up (unbelievably) for around £100 so they are a great source of donor parts.

Hope this helps

Cheers Tom

14. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

Here is the integral bracelet model

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 19.27.44.png

and here is the strapper with an adapted 1310 MQ TV dial bracelet, which looks good IMHO

Screen Shot 2015-04-21 at 19.27.58.png

VetPsychWars likes this.
  15. lillatroll Apr 21, 2015

I read some of your articles about the 2.4mkz, really enjoyed those. I have an omega strap on it but always thought it came with a bracelet.
    I hope to buy a few different models in the future but right now I am saving for a seamaster bullhead. I am only a lowly paid teacher other wise I would be knocking on your door in the hope of buying the one that you have for sale right now.

16. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

Bullhead, a great choice, I have a couple and I love them! I work in education too, it's a small world!

Let me know if you need any help with w bullhead or any future megaquartz's

Best wishes Tom

17. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Apr 21, 2015

Your question to me is not easy to answer. The factory might have provided a bracelet... or the dealer might have affixed one from stock. Which is correct? Both!

With that watch I would search eBay for the deployant strap that makes you happiest and then affix a genuine Omega deployant buckle of the appropriate size.

I am not one to insist on period-correct straps or bracelets because I wear my watches to keep time. On the other hand, if you can use or adapt modern but still Omega and not ugly, I see no reason to criticize that... I have my vintage Seamaster 300 (Watchco) on a 1610 with 840 end pieces after all!

Tom

18. Tom Dick and Harry Apr 21, 2015

Hi

This model was specifically designed with a strap, the bracelet model was integrated as per the images I provided. 22MM period deployment bands for this type of watch are extremely rare, I have seen less than 1/2 dozen in my years of collecting, a modern 22mm deployment Omega band would be excessively expensive.

My advice is a good period band or an alternative SS band as pictured. It may be that the factory released some watches with the 22mm lug fitting on bracelet but as they specifically designed the bracelet version to have an integral bracelet I would be surprised why they would do this. IMHO the bracelet on the strapper above is a bracelet from a TV dial MQ 32khz which 22mm end links added (which did leave the factory with bracelets like this).

but I could be wrong ;)

Edited Apr 21, 2015
    VetPsychWars likes this.
  19. overgrosseren Feb 20, 2020

Just got 2 fantastic watches back from service.
    Gold plated on bracelet and steel version on homemade strap. Perfect fit.

20200219_134827.jpg 20200218_194441.jpg
    demer03 and lillatroll like this.
  20. timos12 Feb 21, 2020

Hello. I’m new to Omega, and is this watch electric? Which I’ve been told was before quartz movement, or quartz? Thank you

timecube likes this.