Forums Latest Members
  1. theboytaylor76 Mar 12, 2018

Hi all,
    First post here..... in recent times a vague interest in vintage watches has morphed into a bit of an addiction, albeit I'm dabbling in the shallow end! Latest acquisition was this Omega Genève Dynamic from eBay. Searching this wonderful forum before bidding I think I picked up a few tips what to be looking for and for the price I got it I'm not too upset if it's a dud. However, the slightly brushed case, the shape of the letters, incl "T Swiss Made T", Omega strap, etc looked OK to me, despite the scratched crystal.

So, I picked it up yesterday. With just a couple of turns of the winder it kicked into life. I used the quick-set to adjust date, set the time and was happy. It kept time for about 6 hours. Today wanted to give it a proper test to see if it would keep good time or needed a service. Wound it thoroughly, was adjusting the time when.....the crown came off the stem. It screws back on and feels secure but I can't adjust the time any more without it undoing. Looking at the end of the stem it doesn't look like it has sheared ......
    1) Can it be fixed or should it be replaced?
    2) Can you get a new crystal with the Omega logo in the middle?
    3) Second time the watch kept time for c11 hours before slowing and stopping - due for a service?
    Thanks in advance
    Photos, including one with a humming cousin

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    mikechi22 likes this.
  2. lillatroll Mar 12, 2018

Hello
    You can get a new crystal and you will need to get it serviced. I had the same thing happen with the crown on my dynamic. A service should cost a few hundred usd plus parts.

theboytaylor76 likes this.
  3. theboytaylor76 Mar 13, 2018

Thanks lillatroll!
    I feel like I factored in the risk of further work being required into my bidding so a service on top doesn’t seem too excessive.... depending on what is found (in my keenness I must confess I didn’t get a pic of the movement :unsure:).....

4. Mr Blond Mar 13, 2018

Get a service, depending on where you are in the world Simon Freese or sts are always good. Wherever you take it just make sure they don’t polish the case.

Yes you can get a new crystal with the omega logo and it won’t break the bank.

Movement pictures are always a pain for this watch as there is no caseback, you have to remove the crystal to get to the movement from the front of the watch.

5. lillatroll Mar 13, 2018

The movements are pretty robust in these watches so it should be fine.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 13, 2018

The manual winds like this I agree - on the autos the bill can add up quickly if the automatic winding mechanism is in rough shape...and they often are.

7. theboytaylor76 Jun 3, 2018

Hi, apologies if bumping posts like this is frowned upon. Just a quick update: the day after posting here the whole stem came off. After a bit of faffing on my part, I sent it off to STS for a service and crystal replacement and wanted to share the results. It looks absolutely amazing! So chuffed with it. Thanks for the advice, all

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    mikechi22 likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 3, 2018

Glad it's fixed. I didn't notice this the first time around on this thread, but this is a sure sign of a case refinish...

Case refinished.jpg

Likely done somewhere outside of an Omega service center, because they would replace the case tube as part of the service, and would have done so only after refinishing the case. I guess whoever did this refinish just didn't want to bother replacing the tube after doing the refinishing job. Hopefully the tube was replaced at the service you just had done...

Cheers, Al

9. Sherbie Jun 3, 2018

Looks great.

Did STS carry out case refinishing on you recent service?

10. theboytaylor76 Jun 3, 2018

The invoice doesn't mention anything specific about the tube.... Says service and then crown included..... Guess I could ask them?

11. theboytaylor76 Jun 3, 2018

Yes, they did. In the photos in the original post above you can detect the brushed finish but it is mostly gone, whereas in the new photos you can (hopefully) there is far more definition.