Forums Latest Members

Omega GB service: a bit surprised....

1. tikkathree Nov 13, 2018

My SMP seeming to not have a great power reserve I treated it to a full service at Omega GB sending the watch to them via my local Goldsmiths high street "rings and fashion fings" store.
    First the 8-week turnaround date came and went, not a great problem but I made sure I didn't leave Goldsmiths until they'd phoned Omega and got a firm revised deadline which, happily, Omega beat by a full week.
    I picked the watch up yesterday pleased with my refreshed-looking watch and a small stack of replaced parts - seals, bezel spring, ratchet spring, stem & tune and several toothed wheely things. And an Omega service card - a plastic item with various items of data related to the watch.
    No worksheet, no pressure test print or accuracy performance statement.
    The "geezer" in the store, snappy suit, nice haircut, clean and well-groomed but sadly a regional accent better suited to the fruit and veg stalls not far away said he'd phone Omega to chase it up, I said that I'd wait, off he went and came straight back with a slight smirk and the offer that he couldn't do it because his manager was on a conference call. I know they have cordless phones and especially as the shop was empty he could have made the call from the counter but, instead he said he' phone Omega and follow it up. Yeah sure sonny I thought, just like sand sticks to the ceiling.
    Today I picked up my service card and took advantage of the "please contact our customer service department at any time... " message.

Omega don't provide work sheets with full services unless specifically requested at the point of booking the service. Apparently.

The customer services agent and I skipped through the whole
    "Because of the age of the watch we can't guarantee WR and recommend that you don't wear it in the shower"

"but you've just replaced all the seals as part of a full service and I need to understand the value of that work?"

Omega have "restored the watch to its factory settings" so confirmed that full 300m WR is covered now by a 24 month guarantee. Apparently.

Omega also guarantee for 24 months that the chronometer will run to -1/+6 seconds per day. Apparently.

Omega can't provide details of the 24 month service guarantee. Apparently.

Frankly I'm sceptical and went off here in search of facts
    https://www.omegawatches.com/custom...s-and-prices/main-steps-of-a-complete-service

where I found this information

"SERVICE WARRANTY
    WE GIVE YOU A TWO YEAR WARRANTY ON EACH INTERVENTION
    We offer a twenty-four (24) month warranty on the work carried out. In the event of a fault covered by this warranty, we will, at our discretion and without cost, repair or replace any spare parts and/or rectify any faults as identified by our customer service. All other rights resulting from the faulty execution of our services are expressly excluded. This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear or damage caused by accidents, lack of care or negligence. This warranty is rendered void if the work is carried out on the watch by persons who are not authorised to do so by OMEGA SA."

and I can only wonder why Omega customer service staff couldn't navigate their own way to this information.

2. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Nov 13, 2018

Quote: "The "geezer" in the store, snappy suit, nice haircut, clean and well-groomed but sadly a regional accent better suited to the fruit and veg stalls not far away."

What a'Fakkin cheek'! :D

Well as the owner of a "sadly", 'Soufff Lundunn', regional accent, It's a shame you didn't ask here first my old fruit!;) I would have, happily, assisted you in the very same accent as "The Goldsmith Geezer".:)

You haven't said how old your SMP is, but we could have steered you nicely away from Goldsmiths and Omega.:eek:

We would have told you to 'give em a swerve' and put you in touch with a 'diamond geezer', in Essex, who is the 'horological dogs doo dahhs'!:thumbsup: The 'bloke's name is Simon Freese and if you'd got him on 'the blower', you would have been 'well clued up' with some real expert advice in 'ya lug-holes' on what to do with your watch.

We are very lucky, here in Britain, to have some of the finest watch technicians, 'in the game', 'knocking about' on the East coast of our little island. If you need any further assistance with your lovely watch 'pick up the dog and bone and givv im a bell mate'! Alternatively, The lovely chaps, here on Omega Forums, will get you 'sorted'. They have saved me 'bundles of dosh'! ££££ :thumbsup:

http://www.simonfreesewatchmakers.com/

http://www.swisstimeservices.co.uk/

Edited Nov 14, 2018
  3. Stufflers Mom Nov 13, 2018

Cor blimey, guv’nor!

4. thatonewatchdude Nov 13, 2018

Did you not receive the card signed by the watchmaker who performed the servicing on your timepiece? It states on it, the diagnostics of your timepiece leaving QC, also exemplifying your two year warranty on the timepiece as well.

5. Mongooseman Nov 13, 2018

As soon as I read the phrase “sadly a regional accent” I stopped giving a shit. Take your pathetically ignorant snobbery elsewhere...preferably somewhere in excess of 300m.

Als 27 and BlackTalon like this.
  6. tikkathree Nov 14, 2018

Nope! Their customer care department advised me that they don't send out anything like that unless it is specifically requested when the work is ordered. I'm not sure that the latter is accurate....