Forums Latest Members
  1. ChrisMudd May 10, 2015

Hi everyone

Im from Indonesia and very new to vintage watches, last night my grandma showed me a watch which belonged to my late grandfather. It turned out to be an Omega Seamaster, she said it broke but she brought it to the watch repair guy that shes always gone to since she was young. When she told me where it was i realised she did not go to a proper authorized service man instead one of those dodgy ones in a market, im not an expert but i have a bad feeling she might have been scammed. I have a few photos could anyone help me with the type of this watch? and also if the back is meant to be plain with an odd crown? Cause if this is not meant to be like this i would like to give that service guy a piece of my mind for lying to my grandma.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  2. ChrisMudd May 10, 2015

Thanks so much in advance

3. marturx May 10, 2015

In what way do you think your grandma was scammed?

4. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 10, 2015

I can't see anything obviously wrong?

5. ChrisMudd May 10, 2015

My apologies im not very knowledgeable ... All the images ive googled have shown me that the back of the watch has an omega etchings of sorts and that the crown i think usually has a omega logo again this is limited knowledge? Like i said im not sure which is why im asking for advice :(

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 10, 2015

It looks fine to me. Standard Omega quartz from the mid 80s

Is there a small button in the top of the crown?

Clearer pics would help too.

7. ChrisMudd May 10, 2015

Yes there is! Ill try upload better photos..id be really glad if everythings fine..i jumped into conclusions after comparing many google images

8. Canuck May 10, 2015

For a short period, possibly during the 1980s, Omega quartz watches used a system for re-setting the time that annoyed many Omega dealers, Omega owners, and watch repair people. The hour hand (and thereby the calendar) were re-set in the usual way- by pulling the crown out into a hand-setting position. The minute hand was set by pushing the button in the middle of the crown in repeatedly to advance the minute hand one graduation at a time. If you pushed that button in for 10 seconds or so, letting it out and pushing it in again and holding it in, the seconds hand and minute hand took off. You held the button in until the correct seconds and minute showed, released the button in the crown, then re-set the hour hand in the manner described above. Watch dealers hated the system IIRC! These crowns do NOT have an Omega logo.

Nobel Prize likes this.