Forums Latest Members

Omega Forums Demographic Questions

1. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 1, 2016

It has been stated before what the average age of a member is on this site.

I was wondering if your statistics are sophisticated enough to answer some more specific questions:

1. What is the average age of members who contribute to each subforum (Vintage Omega, Rolex, Universal Geneve, etc.)

2. What is the average age of the top 50 posters as opposed to the average age of members with 0 posts. (In other words, contributors vs. readers).

aap, Jonatan and pcdubc like this.
  2. pcdubc Jul 1, 2016

You, sir, sound like a social scientist.

I especially like (1). For (2) @kyle L will mess up that statistic bad

kyle L likes this.
  3. Jonatan Jul 1, 2016

What is the average age of a member? I'm guessing between 50-60 years old.

And I would love to know your predictions for Modest Proposals questions.

Here is mine:

1) The average age of members who contributes to each forum.

Rolex > Omega = Longines > Universal Geneve > Zenith From oldest to youngest.

I believe that contributors are not only long-time owners but also knowledgeable on the brand and do not only own a watch to show it off. The only reason I think Zenith is at the lowest age is because it is a little less expensive than the other brands. Of course, this is model dependent. Omega and Longines are tied in second place because these watches may be less costly but they still attract older gentleman and Ladies that have been interested in these brands for a very long time. AKA COLLECTORS!

2) Contributors vs. Readers

Zenith = Longines > Omega > Universal Geneve > Rolex = Luxury Brands and size of watch From Oldest to youngest.

This goes with popularity and Hodinkee readers. Probably a lot of "Nouveau Riche" that are looking for information or just want to see pictures of watches that would impress their friends and co-workers. Not related to watch collecting as much as knowledge transfer. When I say luxury brands I mean Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet, etc. and for the size of the watch, I refer to Panerai and IWC (refers to modern watches not to vintage watches)

Please prove me wrong.

What do you think is the average age of "How do I post in the sales forum" members?

Edited Jul 1, 2016
  4. WatchmakerTheory Jul 1, 2016

Would anyone be in favor of making a poll for members to answer? Anything that should be included that hasn't been discussed above?

M_franco, Jonatan and Fritz like this.
  5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jul 1, 2016

and the average number of watches owned by members..... although the numbers here could make us all blush.

6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 1, 2016

The premise is entirely fallacious. There is NOTHING average about this forum and it's contributors. All strictly ABOVE average...

7. Jonatan Jul 1, 2016

Capture d’écran 2016-07-01 à 13.12.02.png
    morethan1, George.A, Spy and 6 others like this.
  8. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 1, 2016

The Counter intuitive example or Typical outlyers ........

9. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 20, 2016

Any of the moderators take a look at this thread? It is something that's not possible to do?

10. ulackfocus Jul 20, 2016

There's an innate problem with this thread - people on the internet thrive in their semi-anonymity and you're asking them to do the opposite, and then asking the moderators to share potential privileged information that probably isn't accessible even to the forum owners.

RegF, kurtj29 and aap like this.
  11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 20, 2016

I didn't think the average age of hundreds or thousands of members was compromising to anyone in particular in any meaningful way - but I understand if the moderators think differently.

12. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 20, 2016

Someone could make a survey money survey and post the link. No direct responsibility for the forum or mods and only those who want to participate will .

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 20, 2016

I'm sure an anon survey monkey link would be tolerated.

14. flyingout Jul 20, 2016

I don't remember supplying my birth date. How would the mods even know?

15. kurtj29 Jul 20, 2016

As one recent politician said - we need to work on the below average schools to bring them up over the average...

morethan1 likes this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 20, 2016

Ave number of watches owned by members with 200+ posts vs ave number watches owned by members with less than 200 posts.

Ave number of speedies owned by any member that owns at least one Speedmaster.

oddboy likes this.
  17. micampe Jul 20, 2016

The forum uses Google Analytics so an estimate of that is available, as well as which pages/sections of the website you visit, so what is being asked here could be inferred.

Haven't read t&c in detail but I would expect sharing an aggregate of that information is allowed both by Google and this website. It would still require someone to do the work and analysis of the data of course.

18. flyingout Jul 20, 2016

Ah. Thanks. Google may or may not know my age; my profile there doesn't have it. And I block as much tracking as I can, including Google Analytics (although I see I unblocked ΩF from getting to it; I don't know why since I rarely do that). But tracking is so pervasive that I am not under the illusion that I'm blocking it all.

Cheers

19. bvertz Jul 20, 2016

In reality, there are forces more sinister than OF mods who are constantly collecting data about our browsing habits and personal data. :eek:

20. ulackfocus Jul 20, 2016

delete-cookies.png

khmt2, ahartfie, RegF and 1 other person like this.