Forums Latest Members

Omega Forums 2 - Report Bugs, Provide Input. Help Shape The Future Of Our Forum

1. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 2, 2013

Hello everyone,

ΩF2 is a design refresh of Omega Forums that we're launching today. We've re-written much of our site for improved usability, readability, speed, and a strong focus on the content. v2.0 is more about refining the look and user experience, v2.1 will be about adding new/requested features.

It's important that any browser related bugs are found so we can fix them quickly. If you find a bug or any other problems, please send me a message directly by clicking here. I'll be able to track each issue much more easily this way.

For general input, comments, your wish-list for features, etc, please feel free to chat about it in the thread here. We carefully consider all comments and criticisms. You can help shape the future of Omega Forums.

Cheers to the best members and forum I've seen anywhere. :thumbsup:

Trev

YYTIN, marco, Eve and 7 others like this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 2, 2013

Omegaforums 2.0 is now LIVE for everyone!

Thanks to the moderator crew that did the initial private testing, and the members that participated in the public test phase for us, hope you enjoy it!

kendrick likes this.
  3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 3, 2013

:thumbsup:

4. danomar Mar 3, 2013

Different but nice!

Is it possible to have a front-page button to show only new posts? I just discovered it on the earlier version and now miss the ease of checking up on what is new.

5. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

danomar, clck on "latest" at the top

6. danomar Mar 3, 2013

Yes, I do that, but then I have to click "Show only new" on the subsequent page. I am lazy. I like clicking one button on the main index page to get all the new posts.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

I respect your e-sloth. ;)

Wheels and Trev like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

What we've actually done is all the new posts will be in red, so you can see those as well as recent posts you've read in black

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Mar 3, 2013

All is well with Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Loving the new look/feel. :thumbsup:

10. kendrick Mar 3, 2013

Very impressive, Loving the new design on my iPad.

11. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 3, 2013

Thank for all the hard work oncreating and updating this forum.
    It has the best GUI of any forum I have used. Kudos!
    I have a suggestion that I posted a while ago in the
    Open Discussion:-

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

I'm sure Trev will appreciate that, he really spent many hundreds of hours working on the new site to get all the details squared away. He's still going to be working hard on the tablet version, and we've got a lot more planned for version 2.1, we really needed to break away from a lot of the conventions and cruft that old-school forum software seems to force you into in order to get something that will work across desktops and tablets neatly while giving a more content focused experience.

It brings us to the point where we can now start working on some features that people are really going to enjoy in coming months.

13. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Are you familiar with RSS feeds? We could have one of those for each forum. Then you could follow a forum via your email client or something like Google Reader, an app, etc.

Would that be useful?

14. pitpro Likes the game. Mar 3, 2013

Hi Trev
    Thanks for the reply.
    I am in a business where I have to follow news from many sources all day long.(Including Twitter
    and a squawk box)
    I am familiar with RSS and have used it in the past. I found that it was a bit of overload
    for my own personal use. Email is the best aggregator, for me at least.
    I just thought it might be possible to get an email when a new For Sale forum item comes up,
    like following a thread. That way I could go and check it out ASAP if it was something I was highly
    interested in, instead of seeing it next time I enter that forum.(and it's sold already :( )

Again, thanks for your efforts.

15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

Its strange that, we've probably got the first real vintage Omega oriented FS section and many of the better watches that go on their are gone in 24 hours.

arkstfan likes this.
  16. speedbird Mar 3, 2013

iPad usage is fine, iPhone compresses it down to an almost unusable interface though. I like it better than the first version.

17. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Mar 3, 2013

I've been in that situation several time. So I empathize with pitpro.
    However if the feature is on, I guess it's even less than 24 hours before the better watches go.......:confused:. Let's the competition begin.

18. Trev The Architect Staff Member Mar 3, 2013

RSS is fairly easy, that's why I brought it up. We can generate feeds for various forums.

I can appreciate the email point of view. I'll keep an eye out for any easy way to implement something like that. The risk is that it could result in a very large amount of email being blasted out. We'd need friendly controls exposed so members could easily manage their forum/email subscriptions.

It almost seems like we'd need a "power users" toggle in the control panel. If members want to see extra/geeky features, they can flip the magical switch to add more functionality (and clutter) to the interface.

From the data we've reviewed, most members have a very simple usage pattern and don't need too many options forced at them. This is why we try really hard to distil down the user interface to what's most important. Make it fast, easy to find, and get out of their way. :) We're not aiming to over-simplify or dumb-down, but definitely want to keep it lean & mean.

19. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2013

How are you guys adjusting to the new design? =D

20. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Mar 5, 2013

Great. Using the tablet and it's faster than the previous version.