Forums Latest Members
  1. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 17, 2015

I think a watch should not be blamed for what it's earlier owners have been up to.
    In that respect I see nothing wrong in owning a Luftwaffe or SS watch as such. They would be part of a history that could not be told often enough.
    I am far more concerned if people try to erase parts of the history by destroying artifacts that might remind us of it.
    On the other side I would be appalled if someone wore a labeled watch of such origins as a "fan club" item.
    In my collection I have one watch that most likely was worn by a Wehrmacht officer during his service during the occupation of Norway (where I live) between 1940 and 1945. The watch is however not bearing any Nazi symbols.
    To me that gives it historic value, and perhaps one day I can use it to tell my kids about those horrible years. Because the kids needs to know as much history as they can, if not they might end up with some very wrong ideas!

As for the watch in question, it is as pointed out a horrid Ukrainian fake, and as such should not be allowed to see the light of day.
    Since it holds no historic value I would see it as a "fanboy" item, and fans of either the Afrikan Korps, or SS, should be given more than one historic lesson. I am actually uncertain if this kind of items are legal to sell in Austria? In Germany I am quite certain they would not.

2. Kwijibo Dec 17, 2015

And so many other adentures : Kontiki, Le mans, Everest, Alaska project... there are enough gerat moment in history not to play a nazi f..k

3. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 17, 2015

I am not feeling the urge to sail for months on a balsa raft when I wear my KonTiki, and I do not for one second belive I am an astronaut when wearing my EdWhite Speedy.
    Likewise owning a watch with a darker history would not make me wanting to become a Nazi.
    If we only focus on highlights in history, and forget the lows, we may fail to tell the stories that needs to be told to future generations.
    Having said that I draw a line wearing a watch (or other items) with the symbols of evil (Nazi, Sovjet Communist, Pol Pot or Spanish Inquisition alike).

4. Kwijibo Dec 17, 2015

I hope that finding a 3rd reich watch won't make you feel like invading the rest of Europe :)
    I admit that is has an historical value (not the one that was mentionned above).I don't know if you live in europe or not but all these nazi stuff reminds us of a particularly sad period. Even nowadays.

5. Northernman Lemaniac Dec 17, 2015

Living in Norway we had our fair share of Nazi forces between 1940 and 1945. Not as badly ravaged as many other countries, but still.
    Sad times indeed, but also very important lessons to be learnt from understanding and remembering.

noelekal and Seaborg like this.
  6. Kwijibo Dec 17, 2015

You had Kissling we had Pétain. I didn't mean to hurt.

Northernman likes this.
  7. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Dec 17, 2015

I think that there is a clear distinction between a historically significant watch (i.e. SS or Nazi watch), and a modern fantasy watch created with Nazi symbols and faux provenance. One is real, and has to be viewed through a historical lens, and the other is new, and trying to capitalize on a dark past in our world history, and can be viewed as of poor taste--honestly, who would want to own that?

Was there ever an Afrika Korps watch? Seeing that the Nazi made everything so it could be identified with the 3rd Reich, I would have to imagine that the Afrika Korps had some sort of timepiece.

8. LHBZ Dec 17, 2015

Smalls Auctions, Sydney

9. Kwijibo Dec 17, 2015

You are perfectly right. There's a difference between collecting historical pieces (even if nazi stuff is not my cup of tea) and creating some kind of tribute to "nazi action" by making such craps.
    As far as I know, there were no special watches for the SS or the AK. these wer just ordinary watch by Junghan ie taht has a engraving or stamping on the dial sometimes but not spercial series. May be only the Luftwaffe has some special ones. May the Uboat crews too.

Northernman likes this.
  10. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Dec 17, 2015

I didn't expect that

ahartfie and Northernman like this.
  11. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Dec 17, 2015

iVCpwgq.jpg

Ascalon, grokas, DaveK and 3 others like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2015

Spot on. When I was in Glashütte a couple of years ago and went to their horology museum there (highly recommended if you are in the Dresden area), they had displays of many war era watches, including of course pilot watches...

[​IMG]

The museum was a place with many emotional reactions for me as a watchmaker, and looking through the history of German watchmaking was primarily a very pleasant experience, as I am a big fan of German watchmaking. When I saw that pilot watch and the others there, I was mainly looking at them as a collector, so looking at condition, etc. Not much emotion there. When I saw these pocket watches it was different...

[​IMG]

At first just a nice ALS pocket watch from 1938, but then you see the signature engraved inside...

[​IMG]

It was a gift from Hitler to one of his Lieutenant Commanders, and giving watches as gifts was something he did often.

At first I'll say I was a bit surprised, sort of shocked, but within a fraction of a second I realized that it was a great thing to have these pieces here, because it shows that no one is trying to hide any history here...then of course the Soviet era of watchmaking was widely covered, which has it's own dark history.

Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it...

Cheers, Al

PS - yes of course the watch posted by the OP is a POS fake, and needs to be smashed with a hammer...

13. Richard H Feb 11, 2016

Rommel had a1938 Omega Lepine pocket watch.

14. speedbird Feb 11, 2016

The average DAK soldier wore whatever and those who needed a watch specifically for a job were issued a DH made by any number of Swiss or German companies. Glycine, Zenith, etc.

As for not owning a watch with a nazi connection, you pretty much have to discount any A or B-uhr dialed watches and every IWC big pilot. Just about every major Swiss company supplied to the Reich, and it's hard to find one that didn't. Rolex is a notable exception. Old Wilsdorf was opposed to the Third Reich thankfully. For the rest, it was just business if not downright collaboration.

These big case pilot watches harken back to those issued to Luftwaffe crews and were used for navigation.

watchyouwant and Darlinboy like this.
  15. Richard H Feb 16, 2016

As per my recent post on Rommel and his Omega. IMG-20160216-WA0000.jpg

16. Richard H Feb 16, 2016

"Similar" 1938 pocket watch recently fully restored by Omega. 20160208_130716-1.jpg

17. Richard H Feb 16, 2016

Together with 1939 wrist watch of similar design. 20160208_130322-1.jpg

Seaborg, Omegafanman, Mark020 and 2 others like this.
  18. pete26 Dec 1, 2021

Do you think he carried this with him all the time? I have been looking at pictures and can't see him wearing a wrist watch at all. I just watched the Desert Fox and James Mason wears a wrist watch.

19. momosono Dec 2, 2021

You won't see pics of him him wearing that pocket watch on his wrist.

pete26 likes this.
  20. Omegafanman Dec 2, 2021

Yes - we dont want any Nazi connections... better to stick with the Moon landings then...........:whistling:

I dont see anything wrong in collecting and researching milliteria - it is when people iconise it to celibrate the politics it iron crosses the line.

Dont mention the war... That Mitchell And Webb Look - "Are We The Bad Guys"? - YouTube

1101580217_400.jpg
    Edited Dec 2, 2021
    Ascalon likes this.