Forums Latest Members
  1. LM2611 May 23, 2019

Hello all, I am struggling to find a speedy from circa 1991, therefore considering the current First Omega in Space or the Moonwatch Professional. I am swaying more towards FOIS, but would appreciate all your advice - pros and cons. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

sp_moonwatch_fois_vuecv2_1600x900.jpg
  2. TJH May 23, 2019

3. Risto May 23, 2019

There have been some threads about this comparison and I've had modern PRO, but I just bought FOIS, put on 1125/617 bracelet - it's awesome! And some people even modify FOIS to look like the original 2998, see photo (hesalite, new dial, hands).

Screenshot 2019-05-17 11.12.20.png fois.jpg

Twehttam, ReturnOfUltraman and pascs like this.
  4. Donn Chambers May 23, 2019

As others have pointed out, there are threads on this, so make sure to take a look at them. Ultimately, you have to decide which you like more. For me, it was the FOIS (as pictured in my avatar). I have owned two regular Speedmaster Pros in the past and flipped them after a year or so because I just didn’t like the white stick hands.

I’d finally decided three years ago to give one a try again, and stopped by a boutique in Vienna while traveling. I saw the FOIS in person and was instantly smitten. After a quick check of the currency exchange to convince myself it was cheaper to buy there than in the US, I got it.

Here are the reasons I like it more. Others may hate some (or all) of these. You will have to decide for yourself.

1. The case size is just enough smaller it fits my wrist perfectly.

2. The alpha hands are much more attractive than the white stick hands. I love how the light will reflect off of them at certain angles. Yes, the white stick hands are more visible at lower lighting conditions, but honestly, I prefer the bling over perfect visibility. We fool ourself that it’s a tool. It’s jewelry.

3. Ditto on the applied Omega logo. Love how it reflects the light. Adds a luxury look to the watch.

4. I personally love the strap that came with it. The chocolate vintage calf leather looks great on the watch, is instantly pliable, and develops a nice patina over time. I think this watch looks best on a strap as opposed to a bracelet, but others will disagree. The standard Speedmaster Pro bracelet has never appealed to me. One thing to be aware of though — its a small strap. If you have large wrists it may not fit.

5. I also like that the chrono hands are all base white for better visibility, while the time hands are metal. Some hate this, as it’s not “original”. But his is a modern interpretation of a vintage watch. I like that the running seconds hand disappears — I find it a useless complication and like that it’s not distracting when timing things.

The FOIS is the one watch in my collection I will never get rid of. It’s a keeper.

5. pianomankd May 23, 2019

Use the search function!

6. LM2611 May 23, 2019

Thanks all - THREAD CLOSED

Swissmister likes this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! May 23, 2019

Who died and made you a mod? ::bleh::

Nobel Prize, pianomankd and LM2611 like this.
  8. mjb May 23, 2019

LOL. I guess he didn't want to hear what I had to say.

sad

9. LM2611 May 23, 2019

Now you're here........

10. alam May 23, 2019

WatchShopping likes this.
  11. mjb May 23, 2019

Ha, honestly I just started reading the thread because I wanted to learn what FIOS stood for. Still learning all of the SOA.*

* - Standard Omega Acronyms

12. padders Oooo subtitles! May 23, 2019

More to learn. It’s FOIS.

mjb likes this.
  13. jrhave2 May 23, 2019

First Omega In Space

mjb likes this.
  14. mjb May 23, 2019

LOL, I'm not just ignorant, but dyslexic to boot.

Virgil Grissom likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 23, 2019

FBB1F8DE-E40C-4507-B10B-C6DF8B47BA09.gif

16. jsducote May 23, 2019

You forgot symmetry.

17. Bp1000 May 23, 2019

This is a VERY difficult question to answer.

As a collector of Omega chrono's of all product lines i can summarise by saying, i couldn't be without a classic speedy pro in some form, even modern form.

I have the FOIS, CK2998 LE's and CK2915 LE and i much prefer the 39.8mm case size / 38.6mm in the latter case. And i prefer the straight lugs too.

But whilst i like the size better, nothing, for me, can replace the look of a hesalite equipped speedy. In the case of the FOIS and the CK2998 LE panda, both have sapphire crystals.

The only other criticism of the FOIS is the "shiny" sword hands. I personally find them a bit too shiny, which i know sounds ridiculous. Originals have aged to a matte finished, some have the skeleton hands of the speedy pro. I also prefer either all stick hands on subdials or all alpha hands. My OCD kicks in to see the mix of alpha and stick on the FOIS, although it does actually make sense to differentiate the running seconds from the chrono sub dials.

Ultimately, i'd pick a speedy pro hesalite if i didn't own a speedmaster, add the CK's and FOIS later.

But you need to try both on and pick what works for you more.

18. nismo May 23, 2019

You can put hesalite on a FOIS. Same one as on the standard speedy with a tension ring too. My FOIS has that. And hands can be changed. Mine has the vintage white ones bent at the end.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! May 23, 2019

Al @Archer disagrees that this is as easy a swap as you suggest and has stated that the crystal case aperture is a different size between the Hesalite and sapphire models. If this is so then a Hesalite can indeed be made to fit but not without some way of seating it properly. A modified tension ring perhaps? This could adversely impact the water resistance and safety of the dial furniture if not done well. Until shown otherwise I personally see the crystal swap as a bit of a bodge, but am prepared to be persuaded otherwise of course.

Eve, Virgil Grissom and Foo2rama like this.
  20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 24, 2019

Not really unless you want to spend a fair amount of money to machine the case to make it work.