Forums Latest Members
  1. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

Morning Omega Forum Users,

My name is Thomas! I am still fairly new to the forum here, but am absolutely here to stay. I recently ran into a Omega Flightmaster and am having it serviced as we speak. I have several questions about the piece that I'd much rather hear from other collectors than doing my own research that may not produce the best findings. Thank you in advance for any time spent helping me through the world of vintage Omega!!!

I was curious to know what the true application of the "Space Shuttle" hand is exactly?

What about a Flightmaster allows it to be in the $2,500+ range?

Are original boxes / tags hard to come by?

How many links were included originally?

How can you date a Flightmaster easily?

Does discoloration of registers hurt the value?

Very interested in learning more about this watch & it's value/history. I will include a photo of the watch as I found it in a flea market watch bin. Feel free to contact me on Instagram as well! @MPWATCH love connecting with other passionate wrist watch collectors.

Best,

Thomas

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 8.29.40 AM.png
    ahartfie and Mad Dog like this.
  2. Donn Chambers Nov 21, 2016

The "space shuttle" blue hand is for a second time zone indicator. It can be adjusted with the crown at the upper left, clockwise only. I normally keep mine hidden under the hour hand to avoid clutter and so when I adjust the main hands to the new time zone, the blue hand keeps indicating my home time.

I suspect finding boxes and tags alone will be nearly impossible for a 45-year old watch considering most original buyers tossed them.

The discolored dials will turn off some buyers (It would me) but others will find it attractive and call it "patina". My filightmaster as the same dial as yours, and the subdials are a nice dark gray. You'll hear lots of thoughts on why some of these are discolored -- too much sun exposure, a bad batch of dials from Omega, etc -- but I always suspect oxidation from previous water exposure.

In your service, make sure they replace the crystal and gasket, because the one on yours is in horrible shape -- that black rubber gunk around the edges is the remnants of the gasket and should NOT be visible.

One question -- is there a crown on the lower left corner? It's not in the picture but could be hidden by the angle? There should be one. It rotates the inner timer bezel.

Please post the pictures when it's serviced.

jccjr and MPWATCH like this.
  3. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

Dear Donn Chambers,

Thank you so much for the information provided above. The full servicing will address the blown gasket and there is also a crown in the bottom left, I removed it to see if oxidation had gotten past the crown. I will be sure to update you on the finished product. Again, I appreciate the information! Have a great day....Would you be so kind as to post a photo of your Flightmaster here so I can compare?

- MP

4. ATWG Nov 21, 2016

First off, try to avoid running into Flightmasters, it won't end well for the watch!

Price seems to be reasonable. You can date your FM by looking at the serial number on the movement, yours is most likely an early 70's watch. I own 3, one New Old Stock, and love the vintage look and feel of the watch.

Enjoy them, they're truly a treasure!

MPWATCH likes this.
  5. ATWG Nov 21, 2016

Here are my triplets....

IMG_3860.JPG
    jccjr, GregH, Tubber and 5 others like this.
  6. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

Excellent, I'd love to see what a NOS case finish looks like! Would you mind allowing me to view it? If not no problem. I love the look and am looking forward to having it on my wrist once back from servicing. I will be posting additional photos when the service job is complete. Would love your feedback on that later update ATWG. Just sold my Mark II and needed to have something fill my fatty case void.

Best,

- MP

7. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

* heart melts *

ATWG likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Nov 21, 2016

Probably best to start of slowly... Be nice to her, show attention without being fussy. Then when you get to know each other better, comment on her tan; those subdials are a lovely sunburnt shade - but do not fall for the temptation to compliment her on sharp and crisp case, that's for much later dates.

If you feel that there is a common attraction, ask her out - "accidently" go somewhere where you get to fiddle with the GMT hand or time something with the stopwatch, be playful, but keep it classy.

When you are introduced to the parents (probably a couple of weathered old 321s or 33.3s), it's a great idea to mention that you like good old values such as column wheels and straight lugs and when taking her out, be sure to bring her back before the 12 hour counter has elapsed. Finally, it is a BAD idea to mention any chrono creep or missing lume on the parents, just plain bad.

Fordex, Inox, akshayluc420 and 8 others like this.
  9. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 21, 2016

Hope your significant other was given the same treatment as your collection Sir!

Thank you for this entertaining insight,

Best,

- MP

10. JACK G Nov 22, 2016

Hello Thomas,

Following pics are of an Omega restored case carried out a few years back............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jccjr, ahartfie, GregH and 3 others like this.
  11. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Nov 22, 2016

Ha, finally some love for the one of Omega's family big girl... she certainly deserves it! Mine (unrestored but still looking s e x y) says hi :)

[​IMG]

Welcome to the forum!

jccjr, ahartfie, GregH and 3 others like this.
  12. ATWG Nov 22, 2016

Here is one more....

IMG_4319.jpg
  13. MPWATCH Watch Lover Nov 22, 2016

I thank everyone who has been involved in this thread.... Photos will be on the way once I get it back from servicing. Looking forward to speaking about the beautiful Flightmaster then

Best,

Thomas

Tony72 and Lonestar like this.