Forums Latest Members

Omega Flightmaster, trade in or repair?

1. wouter van wijk Jan 15, 2018

Hi Guys,

Mid Novemer 2017 I went to visit a vintage Omega dealer who is in the business for more than 20 years to check out a Speedmaster 125 and trade in my 2016 Speemaster Professional. The new luminova Speemaster Professional did not give me the buzz since I prefer the more warm vintage look.

I allready knew that the 125 is a big watch and it looked the part, but it did not convince me. I only have 2 watches and I want to wear my vintage watches on a daily basis. So the dealer showed me also a stunning blue Omega Speedmaster TV dial ref. 176.0014.

But at the table I also asked him if he had some Flightmasters. I just love the 70s big cased funky look combined with 2 cool complications (Chronograpgh and GMT). He first showed his own ones from his collection. One of it NOS with B&P...He also just had received to new ones that would fit my own budget. I fell in love with one at the table since the 145.0026 caliber 911 had brownish sub registers. So we closed the deal. I got €2615 for my Speedmaster Professional and I had to pay an extra €500, since the Speedmaster Professional box had some water stains and the watch case had to get polished. I think it was a quite reasonable deal. On the Multifunction Timegrapher at the dealer the watch had a delay of 23 sec/day. I asked i fit was an acceptable tolerance, and the dealer told me it was OK and that he would give me his standard one year guantee and i fit would become worse I could send the watch back.

After ten days wearing the watch I contacted the dealer with the following questions:

Yesterday evening I also noticed what I had not seen before at your home. In good artificial light at home under the hood I noticed that it looks like there is moisture on the inner bezel at 5 and 10.

It seems as if the closure between glass and cabinet is not good because there are some irregularities (black spots) to see at 5, between 10 and 15, at 25, at 35, at 45, at 50 and 55. It is not reflection.-were those places already there?

-is this moisture (innerbezel) and oxidation (black spots between cupboard and glass) or is that oil (innerbezel)?

-Is that place on inner bezel due to a problem?

-Are all gaskets well?

-Is the clockwork well checked with 25 sec deviation per day?

His reply:

Stains were indeed there - I received pictures from the old owner

This watch has an original glass with old gasket type which are fat and can "sweat" and that looks like moisture but it is grease from the glass gasket.

25 seconds a day is allowed for a vintage handwind movement. Will wear the watch and watch it after 10 days because that is the measuring method from Omega.

He thereby reassured me saying:

I can only indicate that the watch has had a full check at the Omega Service and the clock has been found to be good and for this a 12 month warranty is issued.

Of course it is solved and if the deviation is too large I send the watch back (tot he Omega service center) to solve the problem.

After 2 weeks wearing the watch, the delay became worse 7- 8 minutes over 14 days= 30-34 seconds/day. So I contacted the dealer again and he was very OK wit hit and asked me to send the watch back for free. He arranged it and the accuracy was with a max. deviation of 4sec. with an amplitude of+/- 269 grd. Problem solved. The oild leak want a really big

But after one week wearing the watch the chrono started sweeping. So again I sent it back. This was a bigger issue I figured out and he could not do this by him self. So he had to contact his watchmaker. His watchmaker is really good in what he does, THE or one of the best certified Omega watch repairers in the Netherlands. For privacy reasons I dont call names. After Christmas holidays the dealer contacted me that he wanted to trade my own watch for a diffrent Flightmaster:

“I think, a very nice solution for the Issue with the Flightmaster. I got in very nice Flightmaster yesterday and immediately thought of you to solve the problem. Just look at the photos in the appendix. This flightmaster is in a particularly beautiful original condition and even has the original hands and of course the tritium dial. My proposal is to exchange this Flightmaster and get your Flightmaster back. Think about it but I think it's a perfect solution.”

I really would appreciate if you guys can chime in and give your advise, lessons or opinion. I think the dealer is reasonble in all of its communication. He gives me 2 solutions for this issue: repair or trade. What would you do? Both watches look good and both have their (dis)advantages.

The brown sub registerd Flightmaster is mine and the grey one (pics P1280265-P1280274) is the proposed trade

Brown +: great patina with brown sub registers, original condition, Omega Holzer bracelet, faded lume plots
    Grey+: great overall look and patina, great original case, orginal 1162 bracelet
    Brown-/-: oil stains on inner bezel, irregularities on glass gasket, no paint on pushers, faded lume plots and faded /stained markers
    Grey -/- caseback looks a bit polished, not that much paint on all pushers

So what would you do; stick with the brownish Flightmaster or do a trade?

Many thanks!

IMG_4608.jpg IMG_4623.jpg IMG_4748.jpg IMG_4540.jpg IMG_4537.jpg IMG_4528.jpg IMG_4526.jpg IMG_4527.jpg IMG_4525.jpg P1280265.JPG P1280266.JPG P1280267.JPG P1280268.JPG P1280269.JPG P1280270.JPG P1280271.JPG P1280272.JPG IMG_4519.jpg P1280273.JPG P1280274.JPG
    Perseus likes this.
  2. wouter van wijk Jan 15, 2018