Forums Latest Members
  1. ErikR Dec 13, 2014

This summer i got myself a flightmaster. Ive got a few other watches im looking to purchase so i might part with this one in the future. However it has an issue im uncertain how to deal with. On one lug it has ding and what looks like som pitting. The area around it has some miscoloring. Under a loupe (18x) it kind of seems like the miscoloring is actually acid-like damage.

If i do sell it it will prob be in the norwegian market so im hoping its OK to ask about what seems like a correct market value.

Condition:
    case is nice, but has some minor dings and scratches. The pitting on the case is 1x1mm so its tiny.
    Glass is good, one little scratch. I have a NOS 100% glass in the original package layoing around. The hands look to be original as there is some age showing (edit: gmt hand has been replaced -i looks mor "glossy" than the rest) Dial might be original but it looks a little too good to be true-ish. Caseback has "71" engraved. Have no idea what it means. according to the extract from the archives this watch was sold i Ecuador 1975. Its a 145.036 and it has the same ref number on caseback. Very likely the 5 crowns are replaced with NOS as well. Mvmt looks nice and clean. Comes with a mesh bracelet that is 98%. Runs about -5min/day = needs service. All functions works and resets nicely. The bottom register doesnt reset exactly at 12. Noticeable. A service will prob fix this.

Questions:
    1. What would be a fair market value for this piece as it sits now?
    2. Would the pitting/acid damage be fixed by laser-welding?
    3. How much would the laser-welding cost?
    4. If laser-welded, should i redo the entire case?
    5. If laser-welded, what would the new market value be?

Dilemma
    I could sell this watch as is, but since im an idiot, i like to fix things up and keep them. So, do i get this fixed up and keep it or do i sell it and buy myself a cal.321 deville chrono?

Pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. cristos71 Dec 13, 2014

The watch is kind of in a no-mans land.

What I mean by that is that it has a service dial but a case that is aged and which has also been polished and lost its original finish. They don't really match each other.

My advice here is that if you intend to keep it then have the case sorted out so that it better matches the dial condition.

If you don't plan on keeping it then it could be worth spending on a case refinish before you sell , but only if you have the right connections to competently and economically carry out the work, otherwise sell as is.

As to price I wouldn't want to pay more than 100-125 euros for the case work.

ErikR likes this.
  3. ErikR Dec 13, 2014

thanks for the input.

I have no idea if the case is polished or not. The pictures are from my cellphone and not of good quality. When i hold it in my hand the edges look ALOT sharper than in the pictures. There is also a sunburst finish which also doesnt show on the pictures.

Im guessing i will be looking for someone to do the casework then:)
    If anybody has someone they'd like to recommend, im all ears!

4. photo500 Dec 13, 2014

As far as I know the 145.036 has radial finishing rather than sunburst. 100-125 euros is probably fair for laser welding but is some way off for a full case refinish.