Forums Latest Members

OMEGA finally going to make a "practical" Speedmaster ???

1. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2018

In 1957, the Speedmaster came with a clear steel Tachymètre bezel but it was hard-to-read and was replaced by a black Tachymètre bezel in 1959...
    By 1961, the Speedmaster came with an option for a Telemeter, decimal and even a Pulsometer bezel.
    In 1969, after 5 years of use by NASA astronauts, Omega got feedback that the spacefarers preferred a "60-minutes" bezel as a Tachymeter bezel wasn't practical at all... Moreover by 1978, a radial dial was the preferred option for a clear easy-to-read dial. Speedmaster chronographs with a "60-minutes" bezel were made available to the astronauts and have been worn between 1971 (e.g. Al Worden) and 1975 (e.g. Vance Brand) during training.
    Besides the (unused) Alaska Project, NASA astronauts finally got their radial dial Speedmaster in 1981 but these came with a Tachymètre bezel while the 1972 Alaska Project Speedmaster had a clear "60-minutes" bezel ::confused2::
    Any chance Omega is going to produce a practical Speedmaster chronograph with a clear easy-to-read "60-minutes" bezel instead of the old/useless Tachymètre bezel ? Maybe with an easy-to-read dial as well ?
    The 50th anniversary of their Alaska Project could be a great occasion to do so... or to make a "60-minutes" bezel an option the same way the 1961 bezels were made available as an option for doctors or enigeers...
    practical.jpg

2. SeanO Sep 3, 2018

if they're doing the box set perhaps a full set of them along with the watch.

3. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2018

Indeed a set of bezels could be added in the box, even at the bottom of a small cardboard crater box as used in the early 1970s ;)

4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Sep 3, 2018

I always live in hope of one of these...

[​IMG]

If they remake this then that is my ultimate Speedmaster. I would want for no other watch. Please Omega if you ever do it, change nothing about it.

5. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2018

I guess it's easy to replace a bezel on a Speedie if extra bezels would come with a "practical" Speedmaster... small tool required ?

Omegafanman likes this.
  6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 3, 2018

So you want a dive watch bezel on a chronograph now........ ::facepalm2::

Ofan, 64Wing, noelekal and 12 others like this.
  7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2018

Yep makes it a lot easier to read both the time and the chronograph hand... anything but a Tachymètre bezel :unsure:

fskywalker and Marty McDawg like this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 3, 2018

Anything else you want to change on the iconic watch that you have posted hundreds upon hundreds of photos of on the wrist of nearly every astronaut known :D

::stirthepot::

wagudc, noelekal, PhilF and 9 others like this.
  9. Donn Chambers Sep 3, 2018

Unless that bezel rotates, I find it as useless as the standard bezel — I’m not five years old and don’t need big numbers from 0 to 60 to interpret where the chrono seconds hand is on a watch dial. Now if it rotated, that would allow multiple timing events — one indicated by the minute hand and rotated bezel, the second by the chronograph dial. I could see that as practical.

Aesthetically, I also find a wider diver-style bezel unattractive. One thing I like about the Speedmaster over other chronos is the relatively narrow bezel.

Finally, if Omega had moved to this option in the 60s, think about how many fewer DON bezels there would be! :)

noelekal, Pazzo, schoolboy and 6 others like this.
  10. ras47 Sep 3, 2018

While the Tachymeter bezel is certainly old, like a slide ruler, it's not useless. A diver style bezel on a non-diver watch seems out of place to me. Folks like me are just un-young enough (I'm loathe to say "old") to remember a time before electronic calculators. I like knowing how to use a slide ruler for calculating, and there may come a time when the old knowledge is necessary. Not The Apocalypse, but perhaps a time when you're out of cell reception, your iPhone battery is dead, and you're on your own. We mature individuals will be able to deal with situations while the new generation will be paralyzed, staring at a blank phone screen.

OK, that ends my obligatory "You young whippersnappers" speech. Don't worry, kids - you'll get there one day too. :)

The only thing that would replace the Tachymeter or Pulsations bezel for me would be a 24-hour rotating bezel if Omega were to add a GMT complication to the Speedmaster.

Kim, Morseman, marco and 6 others like this.
  11. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Sep 3, 2018

Or you can have a rotating 1 - 12 bezel giving it dual time functionality.

12. kilofinal Sep 3, 2018

or give me a Speedmaster Pro with GMT function

Kim, cvalue13 and ras47 like this.
  13. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 3, 2018

Well only 2 or 3 photos so far of the astronauts wearing a classic Speedmaster with 60-minutes bezel ...

cvalue13 likes this.
  14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 3, 2018

Reading the watch from 3 feet away with little reference to 12 o clock while wearing a spacesuit might make it worth while. Or mission critical tasks while under heavy vibration might make sense for the bezel.

Otherwise the the 60 minute fixed bezel seems stupid to me. Percentage aka decimal bezel makes more sense, that’s at least putting a non redundant piece of information on the watch.

15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Sep 3, 2018

This has been done. Solar Impulse.

Slipstreamer and SpeedyPhill like this.
  16. meishicard Sep 3, 2018

All the functions suggested in this thread, including the 60 minutes rotating bezel as well as GMT complications, are implemented in the X-33s, which happen to be speedmaster professionals.
    So a "practical" speedmaster is done already, and obtainable at a reasonable price.

An intermediate solution would be to produce a quartz speedmaster (preferably solar powered together with wave-ceptors) that is indistinguishable from the outside from a classical speedy pro, retaining the "aesthetic functionality" (including the sweeping hands).

But I suppose the whole point of choosing an expensive luxury brand watch these days is to deviate from practicality, with the watch function installed as an excuse to wear jewelry.

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Sep 3, 2018

Somewhere out there ...A self exiled squirrel chomps at the bit to strike once again....::facepalm1::

noelekal, kkt, Uniqez and 4 others like this.
  18. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Sep 4, 2018

De gustibus non est disputandum but it would be the ultimate Speedmaster for spaceflight aficionados :whistling:
    Here's Apollo 15 Command Module Pilot Alfred Worden wearing a classic Speedmster with a 60-minutes bezel... as astronauts requested !
    60minutes_Worden.jpg 60minutes_.jpg

Caesar95, YYTIN, lexieb007 and 10 others like this.
  19. Steve88M3 Sep 4, 2018

At least a radial bezel wouldn’t irritate DON owners.

20. michael22 Sep 4, 2018

So astronauts had no use for the tache? I assumed that's why it was there.