Forums Latest Members

OHPF Omega "FIFA" Referee's Watch ST 11003-2 / 1979 / Good condition / Exceedingly rare model!

1. malkav Jan 20, 2018

SPECIFICATION

Series: FIFA Referee's Watch
    Warranty card: Unavailable
    Sales tags: Unavailable
    Boxes: Replacement
    Belt size: 20cm
    Dial color: Black
    Serial: 0406xxxx
    Manufacture: 1979

DESCRIPTION

I don't really want to sell this one but, rent doesn't pay itself.

If you're a collector I'm sure I don't need to introduce this one, but for for everyone else reading about this watch for the first time, I've corroborated some information from various online sources so you can benefit from the research.

This watch came into existence in part due to NASAs ongoing relationship with Omega during the 1970s. With the introduction of the space shuttle in 1978, all equipment associated with the space missions was required to be recertified as flight-ready. Omega submitted 3 different watches for certification - the Speedmaster Professional ST 145.022 (which was ultimately selected by NASA), the Speedsonic ST 188.0002 and a prototype automatic "Alaska III" 11003.

It was this third model which became the basis for the reference ST 11003-2 you see here - one of 3 models officially adopted by FIFA in September '79, and issued to their referees accordingly. (Incidentally, the other two were a timer model, the MG 7422 and the quartz chronograph "Albatross")

Interestingly, the closest relative to the 11003-2 is the Speedmaster Day-Date Automatic c.1045 line. The cal. 1045 used in this FIFA reference is an unusual variant however, as it omits (dial-design wise) the 24hr indicator usually located at 12 o'clock, opting in favor of the FIFA logo placement.

Due to its smaller production-run, interesting heritage, the slight variation of the usual cal. 1045 dial layout and a distinct case shape distinguishable from Omega's other similar 70s cases, this watch is a unique and very rare addition to any collection I think.

Condition-wise the case is looking very good overall. There is some wear but, it was a referee's watch so there you go. The dial exhibits aging (referring to tritium in the hands and markers) consistent with a watch produced in the late 70s. The orange on the dial and hands still looks great even after all this time. The crystal exhibits a small crack to its side at the 9 o'clock position (and could probably do with replacing)

Internally the watch is functional - with time, date and day setting working without issue. Time keeping is within +15s/day - viable but a service may be recommended.

This watch has been fitted with a 1171 bracelet (originally it was fitted with a band). The length is 20cm.

Last one on sale publicly I could find was on eBay back in 2013, and I don't think it was as nice as this one.

There you have it. Please enjoy inspecting the photos and feel free to send me questions via PM.

On sale at $5800, which includes Paypal fees and shipping worldwide. (shipping is via INSURED EMS courier - equivalent to DHL/UPS etc).

Shipping completes in 3 to 4 days to most US states, ~5 days to EU. Other countries please ask for details.

Loads of experience shipping overseas, great feedback from all over the world
    watchuseek feedback
    omegaforums feedback

ALBUM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]