Forums Latest Members
  1. Missym Jan 18, 2017

Im a new member looking for advice about an old watch found at my brother-in -law and sisters home in the garden shed after they passed away.
    The watch is not working and is in dirty condtion but glass not bad really considering where it has been for years.It has a second dial on the face for the second count. Face has OMEGA under number 12 and FABSUISSE under that.
    My question is is it worth having serviced I would not bother normally but it would be nice to have something that had family connection, but of course that will depend on the cost of repair.
    I cannot at this time post a photo as PC is misbehaving, I will try again later if anyone thinks it need be.

dougiedude likes this.
  2. omegastar Jan 18, 2017

Hi and welcome.
    It is necessary to post pictures for us to assess your watch and guide you.
    If it has fab.suisse on the dial it has probably been bought in France.

3. Tire-comedon First Globemaster Jan 18, 2017

I confirm, no sensible answer is possible without a picture of the watch face and if possible also of the movement and inside caseback.

4. cristos71 Jan 18, 2017

You should be able to post a picture straight from your smartphone if you have one, but as said above you won't receive a meaningful answer to your question without pictures. Good luck!

5. Missym Jan 18, 2017

6. Missym Jan 19, 2017

Thanks all
    Having some proplems trying to post pics will continue trying, have back off............. will post ASAP

7. Missym Jan 19, 2017

8. Missym Jan 19, 2017

Oh so sorry .......suffering from over kill now, didnt relise I had posted so many pics.....I didnt even relise I had to drag and drop pics.
    So can anyone advise me if this is worth repairing and a rough estimate of what I can expect to pay.
    Would love to have a working momento but will need to see cost first, thanks in advance for any advice.

9. mac_omega Jan 19, 2017

Hi,

looks like a well preserved early example of reference 2243 - I would not be surprised to find a cal. 30 (T 0) in there.
    1) Could you please let me know the diameter of the movement (metric please) and the case without winding crown.
    2) Have a look below the balance wheel - what numbers can you read there?
    3) Pls let me know the movement serial# - the pictures are a bit blurry, so I am not quite sure what it reads exactly.

IMO it will only need TLC and a polish of the crystal only (absolutely no polish to the case!!!).
    Should not cost much and is worth the effort to keep it as a heirloom

Find a good local watchmaker to do this.
    Do not send it to Omega factory - service would probably cost more than the value of the watch there.

Edited Jan 19, 2017
  10. Missym Jan 19, 2017

Thanks for advice mac_omega,
    I definately will take to a local watchmaker who I have used before he seems very good and is resonable, as we took a gold watch to him (no other local watchmakers could take the back off as apparently they need a tool that none of them possesed) he did it np and still does it regulary when need battery.
    I wonder if you would tell me cal.30 (T0) means please?

11. cristos71 Jan 19, 2017

Serial looks like 8923134, so maybe pre WW II, around 1939 anyway.

12. ConElPueblo Jan 19, 2017

I think that looks great :)

The "Fab Suisse" is for Swiss watches imported into France, so that was the country of delivery originally. As Cristos71 says, the watch was produced just before WWII, so quite an old piece of family history there.

Lonestar likes this.
  13. watchlovr Jan 19, 2017

Where are you?
    That will make it easier to advise on servicing.

14. Missym Jan 19, 2017

Im in Gateshead tyne and Wear...................... who are good watchmakers in my area please?

15. Missym Jan 19, 2017

Hi
    I see one number beside wheel it is as you said 8083134, hubby has a lupe so he got it for me. we measure case as 28m, not sure how to measure the movement because we arnt sure exactly what comprises the movement ::confused2:: Im going to get pic of watch with measure next to it and try to get that to you.
    Hope you can excuse our lack of knowledge regarding the watch terms used on here, we have heard them of course but not sure what they actually are

16. watchlovr Jan 19, 2017

I would not hesitate to send it to John Senior at obsoletewatchparts.com has the experience and parts to bring it back to life without destroying its character
    Spares for these are getting scarse, he is your man.
    It might even be less than £100 if you are lucky!

17. mac_omega Jan 19, 2017

Serial looks like 8923134, so maybe pre WW II, around 1939 anyway.[/QUOTE]

I also read the number like you, but this does not make sense for a cal. 30 - the earliest serial ## for cal. 30 started with 8.96x.xxx

As OP stated later the case dia is 28 mm, so a cal. 30 may be excluded... what is left? a cal. 23.4 maybe?

18. mac_omega Jan 19, 2017

Please look for a hidden number below the balance wheel not the number which is obvious on top of the plate - use a loupe!
    This short number plus figures is the information about the type of movement which we watch neirds call "caliber number"

19. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 19, 2017

The balance wheel, by the way, is the one 'sunken' below the first level you see; it has the round brass spikes around it... so look at the surface below that wheel for the 'caliber number'...

20. François Pépin Jan 19, 2017

It really looks like a 30 caliber, and it is not a 23,4 (different shape of the bridges and places for the jewels. Could have also been a 28 or 360, but it is not to me.

So maybe it should read 898... Mac-omega, it would then be one the first 30 caliber, would it not?