Forums Latest Members
  1. dstella Jun 22, 2013

I have just finished getting a 198.012 up and running (cone case, black dial). I have been trying to get an original North-American market bracelet. In the U.S., this was not sold with the 1187 shown in the red book - instead, it was sold with a JB Champion flat, solid-link (double-E) bracelet with an Omega-signed clasp cover (clasp is 16mm). The clasp actually said JBC on the inside.* The U.S. version, frankly, is much more interesting than the cut-down Speedmaster bracelet slapped on some of these watches (and a lot of F300s shipped with leather straps anyway...).

I have located the bracelet in JBC form but have been looking for the correct clasp cover. The cover in question is 16mm on the inside and locks by virtue of two claws on the front edge. This is not the same as Omega covers of later, where the locking was a tab between the two structural halves of the hinged part. So a newer clasp cover fits the bracelet but does not lock the clasp.

Anyone have a read on where I might be able to find a JBC/Omega cover (or complete clasp)? Alternatively, it seems like a current Omega Type "B" clasp (3-prong) should fit - but to be historically correct, it actually needs to say JBC on the inside.

Ideas? Thanks!

D

*This was an artifact of tariffs; adding a bracelet after the watch entered the country made it less expensive to bring in (which is why "Made in USA" bracelets are fairly common on old Omegas - Champion made even a lot of the pure "Omega" ones as wel..