Forums Latest Members
  1. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

After reading a few comments on this discussion , i am wondering how much we should place faith and trust on the omega extract as a form of authentication of the timepieces???

a comment was made about lack of details for the earlier Speedmaster references (2915, 2998, 105002), and how Omega issued them as "honour system". If dealers are using these as authentication system without the system being 100%, then are we potentially paying extra for a watch that may not be authentic?

2. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Aug 15, 2014

An extract is not meant to authenticate a watch in its current state, but to indicate, with a serial number as input, what type of watch / model it should be. Most of the time it provides country of delivery and date. Now you know that for pre-20.525 extract, there is a doubt, except in following cases:
    - you have the original papers (which indicate model reference, as for my 105.003-63)
    - your watch belong to the few exceptions for which they have info and thus will deliver an extract.
    - you are or you know perfectly well the first owner and thus can trust there were no movement mix-up

but again, this will NOT certify that the watch in 2014 is with the coherent parts...

initialjh likes this.
  3. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 15, 2014

Is the serial cut-off only for cal. 320/321 movements or for all omega movements?
    There are a few serious omega collectors who rely greatly on this information for early vintage omegas and have been consistently successful (from what I have gathered at least) in obtaining a movement serial - case reference match mostly by only providing the movement serial with the rest of the information being provided by omega. I personally don't order extracts on my watches and instead check that it is the correct movement for the case and the serial is in the correct range from what I have observed. I'm fairly confident that 95% or more of my vintage omegas will correctly match if the extract is ordered. Also, while for a few it is vital that movement serial match case reference I just wonder where does it end? Would you then be equally serious about the exact dial and hands and crown and bezel being original to that exact particular watch or is it ok to find a similar period correct dial/hands/crown/bezel?

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2014

We were told it only applied to the 320/321s, and was a result of Lemania not keeping records to the same standards as Omega, the other calibre's were not a problem.

initialjh likes this.
  5. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Aug 15, 2014

I think it concerns all Omega movements made by Lemania.

Vital? At least it's a matter of money. One can find "cheap" Seamasters for sale in the same serial range blocks as CK 2915's or CK 2998's. From this point, it's not necessary to explain more in details what can happen and for sure happened. It's a 2915, but in case Omega recovers information, you will receive an extract stating that it's a Seamaster. Nothing incorrect, but in case of sale, you will loose a lot.

I almost bought a Ploprof a while ago, but after checking it happened that the movement was from another Seamaster having the 1002. For this reason I did not buy it. May be I am stupid?

initialjh likes this.
  6. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

So for some purposes, that 70CHF is well worth it :)

omega gas archive does have a disclaimer that it is not a certificate of authenticity, just extracts from their info. But how else can we authenticate these watches apart from buying ones with original papers (super rare) or from original owner (not common)? I suspect, many of us, it will depend on consensus amongst experts like this forum. :)

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Aug 15, 2014

I am more a purist at heart than not and prefer the watch to be as original as possible and I suspect most serious vintage omega collectors are. I just wonder how much of the emphasis we place on this match is because the information to verify it exists whereas no such match exists for dial or bezel so we feel it's ok to swap those out and replace them with period correct pieces. I think the dial is just as important to the value of a vintage piece as the movement and the case - if the dial had its own serial number that was recorded would it then be just as important to match it to the case reference as well? Just something I've wondered about for some time now.

8. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author Aug 15, 2014

You are right that dial and sometimes bezel are as important. In fact they are visually even more important than movement and its serial.Probably if the identification at Omega was based on dial serial number, that would be as much important. But in that case you could not swap a Speedmaster dial with a Seamaster dial.

Let's go back to real situation.

Both criteria are important:
    - original/correct parts account for the watch look
    - serial accounts for its "official" identity
    - both are important (at various levels) for your wallet.

But I would prefer a very good 2915 with all original/correct parts and a Seamaster movement (impossible to prove actually), than a 2915 with correct s/n, but service dial, hands and bezel.

initialjh likes this.
  9. speedbird Aug 15, 2014

I think the extract is more for the owner's piece of mind and not so much about verification. I have one for my Seamaster

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 15, 2014

I 100% agree with you on this point, MSN.

Here's an example. I own a nice Rolex Oyster Perpetual. It's not perfect...it came with an incorrect caseback and I had to find a salvage caseback with the correct case reference. But the movement is excellent and keeps chronometer grade time. As you know, older Rolexes are not dated by movement serial number. Instead, they are tracked by case serial number.

Since Rolex has never released the records of which movement serial number went with which case number, it is impossible to determine if a particular movement is original. I guess when Rolex serviced watches back then, it would be common to swap movements if there was a major problem and fix it later.

As a result, I've been told that my watch is worth about $1,200 as is, but I were to remove the movement and sell it separately, it could fetch up to double that amount. Why? It is a caliber 1030 automatic, which was used in far more collectible Rolexes like the early Submariners. These can go for $20,000 and more at auction. If one has a broken 1950's Submariner, it would be much easier to buy my movement and drop it in, than to source the parts needed to fix the original movement. The salvaged parts from the original that will work have a decent value on their own, since many of the parts for these older Rolex movements are almost unobtainable.

Since there is no way to match the movement serial to case serial numbers (without the original COSC documentation -- very rare), most Rolex collectors would be satisfied so long as the correct cal. 1030 movement is inside and properly working. Therefore, working movements from less valuable Rolex variants are worth far more in the marketplace than complete watches.

Supply and demand, that's how the market works.
    gatorcpa

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  11. speedbird Aug 15, 2014

It was more common than not for Rolex to put whatever caseback they had in the parts bin on the 34mm models. This is why you see 5500s with 1002 more often than not. id put $20 on your mismatched case back being original to your watch

initialjh likes this.
  12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 15, 2014

Not this time. I have a gold-capped 6634 from 1959. The case back was from a 1005 and was dated "II 1966".

It fit well, but the seller was also selling a 1005. I suspect the buyer of that watch got my caseback.

gatorcpa

13. speedbird Aug 15, 2014

Ah okay, then yeah, that makes sense. Some folks have a stroke when they realize their case back doesn't match the reference number on the SS models. Gold capped could be the same way as they weren't always bespoke case backs stamped for them. near impossible to have a 66 on a 59 though. Rolex was slapdash in those days but not that bad! I bet they were swapped like you said

my late model 5500 has a 1002 case back. I'm pretty sure by 1985 they'd stopped producing 5500 CBs anyway. You really only see 5500 CBs on the early ones and the Explorer version. Original 5500 Explorers are so often faked that finding a real one is impossible. Even if my mother was selling it to me and it had original paperwork, from the 1960s, I'd still have to question it

14. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

and that's even more scary as the price difference between Explorer II and GMT is 2-3folds, but both use the same GMT mvt (cal1575). There have been many fake ExpII on the market which did not start its life as that.

These archival extract really act to reassure the owner that the watch they own did in fact start as one particular model and not another.

Playing vintage anything is just a minefield...

15. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

yep

great examples are the 5512 with 5513 caseback!

16. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

agree with both of you on all accounts here. But... yes , there are always "buts".

I would also prefer all original parts in my vintage watches. For aesthetic but also originality and value of the watch. But original watches are getting rarer and harder to get. So price goes up. And even if we have the mean to, the watch may not be available on the market.

Another dilemma is , what happens if the watch has unusable parts? well, then it's either into the bin, use for spare parts, or replace with service parts. Whilst this is unpalatable for some, I would say the last option (replace with service parts) is probably the best option, IMO, to allow a watch to continue function as a watch. Same with vintage car scenes. If something is broken, it would be great to track down the original part, but if not available, then a custom job. Would that affect the value of the car? yes, but in my mind, it would be sad to see that car not fixed and then junked.

17. initialjh Aug 15, 2014

Interesting article in local paper re: vintage cars restore or preserve. Here

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

Which is why I tend to stay away from extremely popular vintage models in Rolex and Omega World. Since these have the highest value and lots of interchangeable parts with lesser models, they tend to be the most faked. Good examples that show up online are quickly snapped up at premium prices.

I'd rather stick with things like LeCoultre Futurematics and Harwoods which are very difficult to fake or franken. Movements on these are not used in other watches and to fit an incorrect movement would be like trying to replace a Mazda rotary engine with a conventional one.

Can it be done? Maybe, but the cost of retrofitting everything would make it highly unlikely.
    gatorcpa

initialjh and Darlinboy like this.
  19. speedbird Aug 18, 2014

There is a lot of truth in that Gator. However, as we move toward 2020, even a watch from 1970 will be pushing a half century, this will become more and more common. Hell, the 1990s are almost retro.

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 18, 2014

All quite true. However, as today's watches age, you'll notice less and less interchangeability between brands and even watches of the same brand. I don't think frankenwatches of (today's) modern watches will be much of a problem in the future.

Fakes will always be an issue, and tomorrow's collectors will likely need to be more vigilant, Counterfeit watches are of much higher quality now then they have ever been in the past.
    gatorcpa

initialjh likes this.