Forums Latest Members
  1. Jayo82 Mar 28, 2019

Hi
    What i think is missing from the Omega collection is an expeditions watch like the Explorer. Was there something like that in the past?

2. Lbreak Mar 28, 2019

I would give that title to speedy, space travel is far enough to be an expedition to me:D

3. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2019

I think the Omega Railmaster non-LE with brushed surfaces is positioned as their "tool / field" watch. The Railmaster 60th LE is closer to the Explorer's more classical styling. Omega don't have anything equivalent to the "rugged" Explorer 2...well, perhaps only some dive watch GMTs.

4. Donn Chambers Mar 28, 2019

I think a GMT-specific watch would be ideal in the Omega lineup. Make it thinner and not as water resistant as the Planet Ocean or Aqua Terra versions. A derivation of the current Railmaster would be a nice option. 50m to 100m water resistance is perfect. A GMT is on my wish list, and as much as I like the black/white Planet Ocean model, it’s just too damn thick!

Wetworks likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Mar 28, 2019

I understand the attraction of GMTs, and there is obviously a market for them. However, if all you need to do is track a second timezone, (in 12 hour time) you can use an adjustable 12 hour bezel on a three-hander. If you really need dual time 24 hour capability, then a Glycine airman purist will do. For 3 timezones, a proper GMT with a 24 scale on the dial and an adjustable 24 hour bezel fits the bill (or just use your mobile phone :p)

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2019

I just add or subtract hours in my head...

7. Jayo82 Mar 28, 2019

I don't really need an explorers watch but i like watches to have a certain theme. A diver is great and a mountaineer/explorer watch also. Thats the reason for my asking.
    Thanks for the answers.

8. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2019

Good point...these daily neural efforts and also not using Google as backup memory are good to avoid future onset of dementia:)

What I do find very useful, and is available on several non GMT Omega watches is the jumping hour hand that you can set as you travel across time zones.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2019

Well I admit on my last trip spending 5 weeks in Australia in January/February, I didn’t ever consider what time it was back here...the easiest solution of all! ;)

Those come with drawbacks as well, so no quick set date, and potential for failure of the hour wheel if the hour hand is adjusted a lot...

10. Riviera Paradise Mar 28, 2019

Yep when you are vacation this is certainly a good strategy...complete disconnect and focus just on where you are and what you are experiencing:)

No quick set date is a good enough trade off for me for the jumping hour hand. I was not aware of the hour wheel failure risk...is this a common occurrence on modern +8400/8500 Omega calibres or modern Rolex GMTs?

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 28, 2019

Last time I said it was "common" I ended up in an argument that someone wanted to have when they tried to tell me I meant that every one was going to fail (something I never said) , so I won't say that again. But that was in a thread where someone's hour wheel had failed on an 8500 if I recall. So instead I'll say that it is certainly not uncommon in Omegas, and this includes calibers back to the 1128, as shown here:

I can't speak to the Rolex frequency of failures, but I do recall reading of them happening, but I don't hang out on Rolex based forums for the most part.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  12. JeremyS Mar 28, 2019

I second the Railmaster. I can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t suffice. It has sufficient ledgibility, a solid case with 150m water resistance and a screw down crown and there are strap and bracelet options.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 28, 2019

The only reason the base explorer was marketed that way was it was oyster back for water proof. Simple no nonsense watch. The explorer II was marketed for spelunkers and air traffic controllers.

Any Seamaster would fulfill the same place as an explorer.