Forums Latest Members
  1. frankramos0023 Jun 5, 2013

Hi guys and gals, I just recently purchased a 1972 Omega Dynamic with the following numbers:

and with a caliber of 752 and 24 jewels.
    Its has day/date display (Day in Spanish)

At first it seemed to keep very good time but now after a week or so I notice it losing seconds, about 5 - 6 every 3 hours or so. Is this normal? I haven't verified the interior numbers myself. Do I need to send the watch out for service or do I need to wind it more often or is winding it too much bad for the spring?
    This is the first Omega I buy myself btw.
    Thanks for all the info .

2. ulackfocus Jun 5, 2013

Do you know for sure that the watch was serviced recently? If not, get it serviced.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 6, 2013

Sellers always say "recently serviced", it rarely means it was actually serviced at all, let alone recently. Often they just regulate it, clean the case and polish the crystal.

Now losing 5-6 every 3 hours isn't completely out of line, the Cal 752 movement is not a chronometer movement, and it is 40 years old. That said if correctly serviced by a competent watchmaker it should be able to be regulated to a much better level.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jun 6, 2013

It needs a service. Even if it was serviced 5 years ago, the lubricants will have gone off. No problem if you are going to keep it and look at it, but damage may occur if you are going to wind it and wear it.

5. Central Scrutinizer hangs out in Joe's garage Jun 7, 2013

What he said. 752 are a good movement and should not run erratically. Get it serviced by a good watchmaker and then you don't have to worry about it.

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 7, 2013

My first one ran so badly I thought it needed parts. One straightforward service later it ran like a dream - no parts needed, just a bit of care and attention.

7. John R Smith Jun 7, 2013

In terms of what you can expect from an old watch, just my twopenn'orth - as it so happens, I have been checking my old Constellation over the last three weeks. This is a 1954 with the Cal 354 'bumper' movement. After 21 days it is now 4 secs slow. But in between it has been off as much as 10 secs plus or minus at times, and I adjust this by it's overnight resting position - laid flat, and it gains a bit, rested on edge, and it loses quite a lot.
    I have just got a much younger 1962 Seamaster (see my other thread) with the Cal 552 movement. So far this is amazing, it is running rock-solid at minus 3 secs and has been for a week rested flat at night. Now I have written this of course they will both expire with a broken mainspring or something . . .

8. frankramos0023 Jun 9, 2013

That's what I was thinking you all, thank you all for your time. Is there a watch repair shop that you anyone would recommend who works well on vintage Omegas? I don't mind shipping it anywhere as long as they do good work.