Forums Latest Members
  1. Glenn Sep 4, 2013

I bought an Omega Dynamic manual date watch 6 weeks ago and it has been working fine but last week I noticed that the face was twisted in the case and when I pulled on the winder it just came out. I took it into a Jewellers & they took it apart and reconnected the stem but the after a couple of days of wearing the same thing has happened again.

Can anyone please advise what the problem is? Could it be that the glass isn't tight enough against the movement which means that the movement is moving and therefore the stem is disconnecting? Both times this has happened the movement/face is slightly twisted in the case? Or is there a problem with the step?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

I'd like to get this fixed as I really like the watch - Photo of watch attached

IMG_6057.JPG
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Sep 4, 2013

It sound like there are at least two problems.

Firstly, if the movement is cased properly, it should not be able to move in the case - worse still, if it is cased properly, the dial feet are detached and the dial itself is moving.

Secondly, for the stem to pull out of the movement, it must be pulling free of the setting lever and that would imply that there is something broken in the "keyless works". I'm not sure what movement the Dynamic has, but I have seen this with a 56x movement where the head had broken off of the screw that holds down the forked shaped spring that applies pressure to the setting lever. The hands, dial and date mechanism would need to come off to confirm this, though.

3. Glenn Sep 4, 2013

Thanks for coming back to me. The Movement is Cal 613, and I had assumed that it was the movement that was twisting in the case as the face is twisted slightly to one side. I'm told that the stem connects to the movement & the crown but what I don't understand is why the stem doesn't fall out when I pull the crown out if it has disconnected from the movement? The assistant took the watch into the back of the shop so I couldn't see inside the watch or what was done but when she came back she said that their was nothing wrong with the watch & explained the stem had just been reconnected in the two places. Do you think your diagnosis above is valid for a manual cal 613 movement & why do you think the stem doesn't fall out?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 4, 2013

This watch uses a split stem, so the stem is in two parts and has to be popped apart in order to remove the movement through the front of the case (after the crystal is removed). Over time the connection between the 2 parts of the split stem can wear or get sprung, so the solution there is to replace at least the female half, which is usually the part that goes with the crown. This will likely mean changing the crown also, because the threads are different diameters between the new and old split stems where they enter the crown.

Does the crystal have an Omega logo in the middle of it? If not it may be aftermarket, and may not be securing the movement in the case properly, so that is also something that should be looked at. Between those 2 things it can be solved easily with the correct Omega parts.

Cheers, Al

5. Glenn Sep 4, 2013

No logo that I can see on the crystal. Also if I tap the crystal gently I can hear the movement rattle so I think I will see if I can get the crystal changed and hope that fixes the problem.

Many thanks

6. 20cd Sep 16, 2013

Glenn,

I'm currently having the same problem, which is: the movement is not tightly set into the case allowing it to shift; a 1mm shift is enough to unseat the crown portion of the stem. Then the crown and it's stem portion come out when pulled. This is the first time I've opened a Dynamic, so I'm unsure how to set the movement securely into the case when reassembling.

Have you made any progress with yours?

Walt...

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 17, 2013

There are a few things to look at here - first do you have an original crystal? Second the movement must have the correct case screws and clamps mounted on it. Then the movement is placed into the case, and rotated to line the stem up with the case tube. Please look at this photo:

[​IMG]

You will see at 4 o'clock and at 10 o'clock the dial has small wedge shaped cut outs on the perimeter. These are what you carefully turn the movement with using some tool - peg wood works well and won't damage the dial, but it can be done using tweezers also if you are careful. By turning the movement you "lock" the movement so that the case can be turned completely upside down with no crystal, and the movement will not fall out.

If case clamps are missing, loose, or are of the wrong style, or if the crystal is not original, or the split stem is worn, it can cause the issues you are having.

Unless you work on watches, this is not really DIY stuff. Best to take it to a watchmaker who can sort it out for you.

Cheers, Al

dragoman likes this.
  8. Glenn Sep 18, 2013

Hi 20CD,

I went back to the Jewellers and they took my Dynamic apart again in the back of the shop and said that it wasn't seated correctly but this time the watchmaker had felt it 'click' into place which is consistent with what Archer is saying above. I've worn it a couple of times since and it seams to be OK but only time will tell. Also, while he had got it in bits I asked him to confirm that the movement was actually a cal 613 which he did so at least I know that everything is as it should be.

Hope you get yours sorted, as they are a great watch. I have 3 now and this is the first problem I've experienced.

*** Archer, I really like your Dynamic - do you want to swap for a Cosmic?

Regards
    Glenn

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 18, 2013

Sorry not my watch - just one I was servicing for a client!

10. 20cd Sep 20, 2013

Glenn & Al,

I want to thank Al. My problem was simply NOT setting the crystal COMPLETELY. I've given it a couple days and it's ok now,

Glenn, Glad to hear yours is sorted out; I know how frustrating all this can be.

Thanks again, Al, for your insight.