Forums Latest Members
  1. andya Feb 13, 2012

Hi guys

I have the chance of buying an original Omega Dynamic from 1971 it all seems genuine but I asked the seller to wind the watch forward to see if the date changed but it didn't, is this common and how hard is it to fix? It has this number linked to it st 166039 also this number 29816356

I am not familiar with these watches so any help much appreciated

Thanks

2. ulackfocus Feb 13, 2012

Okay, now you're in the right forum. It's probably something simple that can be handled during a service. Now how about some pics?

3. andya Feb 13, 2012

Hi there and thanks for the reply :) I can't do pics as I haven't bought it yet I am still deciding whether I should, the watch is original and comes on an omega bracelet and also has the original box and the outer box as well which I would imagine is quite rare. I have a contact who is an older retired chap who used to service high end watches I assume he could service this one but will he have the tool to get the movement out!

Andy

4. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 13, 2012

The 166.039 was powered by a cal 565 and if the date doesnt change there is most probably a parts issue. Could be a worn date ring or a damaged date change lever. Parts can be pillaged from parts watches if the watchmaker has them laying around.

The movement is relatively easy to remove with a generic crystal remover. The crown stem is split and comes out and then you rotate the movement to remove.

It may be an idea to ask the seller to present the watch repaired if he wants a sale. But if you need to check the authenticy of the piece a pic of the dial at least would help as ULF suggests.

Cheers

Desmond

5. andya Feb 14, 2012

Hi Desmond

Thanks for that I can't get any pictures yet but the dial is a dark blue with a light blue seconds hand, I know this watch hasn't been worn for years.

Andy

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2012

What kind of money is he asking? There are a LOT of these around so you have many options

7. andya Feb 14, 2012

He is asking £200 Stirling as I say it has a bracelet and inner and outer boxes is this a good price?

Thanks

8. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 14, 2012

200 pounds is very good value for a cal 565 with box etc if the finish on the watch is factory original and the bracelet is similarly finished. It would be worth taking it and then servicing it. Good examples of these models with all box etc can sell for up to 1000 USD with the right bidders in the ring

Cheers

Desmond

9. andya Feb 14, 2012

Hi Desmond

Can I just say that I really appreciate your answers as I am not familiar with these models but I know they are collectable. I know the person selling it received it for his 21st birthday in 1971 and after a while got other watches and didn't wear it much from then on so I believe that it is all original they have told me the crystal has some scratches on it is a navy blue dial and light blue seconds hand a nice combination? Does having the inner/outer box make a difference I am sure it does, they even have the paper saying where it was bought and when which is all good isn't it. I didn't realise that these could fetch that much with boxes etc so you reckon £200 is a good deal then :)

Thanks

Andy

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2012

11. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Feb 14, 2012

Yes Asley, looked neat eh?

Andy, make sure you get the papers....and then you have a trifecta! Click here for an essay I wrote on them.

Certainly worth every penny.

Here is one of my favourites from my collection.

[​IMG]

12. andya Feb 14, 2012

Hehe thanks but what is a trifecta? It is the same as James Mays is it a good deal at £200 Stirling even though it needs a service? Do the box/papers add to the value?

Thanks

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 14, 2012

Yea, they do, a full set is a full set, especially with original receipt, means it has provenance and a known history, and isn't put together from bits. After you service it, put the service receipt with the box and papers. Its not a massive deal but if someone is after that specific watch, what you're being offered, a good honest watch with a full pedigree is the perfect combination from a collector's point of view (as long as the servicing is done from a similar perspective).

Maybe James May having one will help, who knows lol but he's not the greatest fashion icon.

Pgomeg likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Feb 14, 2012

Trifecta is a betting term meaning that you have picked the first 3 horses to finish the race and won big. In this case Desmond is using it to mean watch, box & papers.

15. andya Feb 14, 2012

:) thanks for that I didn't know I will pay the seller for the watch later as even at £200 British Pounds it seems like a good deal hopefully

Andy

16. andya Feb 14, 2012

I won't be using Omega to service it I use a retired chap who spent his life servicing high end brands such as rolex etc that should be ok shouldn't it.

17. ulackfocus Feb 14, 2012

Yes, you'd be fine having an independent do the work. :thumbsup:

18. andya Feb 14, 2012

well I have paid the money so now I have to wait to see it in the flesh!! fingers crossed it's ok...gulp :)

19. andya Feb 14, 2012

I believe the crystal has some scratches on it so is it possible to buy an original Omega replacement? If so how much and where from, I live in the UK.

Thanks

20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 15, 2012

Contact Cousins UK -

http://www.cousinsuk.com/

They should be able to get the crystal for you from Omega. However, I would not be surprised if your watchmaker had one in stock.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa