Forums Latest Members
  1. mark2828 Mar 29, 2016

Hi

Just a quick question I'm new to the whole omega thing and was looking at picking up a vintage version to start off my new hobby

Where is the deville ranked in omega models ? Is it viewed as a more dress watch or entry level etc

Apologies for the silly question but trying to get my head around all the different versions

2. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 29, 2016

DeVille has always been more of a dressy watch compared to the sportier Speedmaster and Seamaster lines. Cost-wise, the price of an individual DeVille model depends on the materials and movement. There is a stainless steel DeVille in Omega's current catalogue which until very recently, was one of the lowest cost non-quartz watches that Omega offered, priced at about $3k (making it somewhat entry-level). But the movement has now been changed from a cal.2500 to a cal. 8500 and the price has jumped to $6k+. If you add complications and/or precious metals and/or diamonds, the price for a new watch can get into the $40k range. Personally, I haven't seen a lot of interest in DeVille in the watch enthusiast world compared to the iconic Seamaster, Speedmaster, and Constellation lines but there are nevertheless some very attractive DeVilles out there that I'd be happy to wear.

ahartfie, meganfox17 and mark2828 like this.
  3. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Mar 29, 2016

i dont but for me im not into deville...especially the 80s deville..

mark2828 likes this.
  4. mark2828 Mar 29, 2016

Hi thanks for the in-depth reply appreciate the help

meganfox17 likes this.
  5. meganfox17 Mar 29, 2016

Hey[emoji46] i like the De Ville Hour Vision Orbis. I know another gentleman who likes it too... @Riviera Paradise

[emoji1] Dont worry.. @Riviera Paradise will post something here real soon..!

p/s Riviera ! Was That YOUR Passport....[emoji15]
    Hmmm....i guess stumbling into Prof Stephen Hawking makes more sense to me now...

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  6. theridewill Like your watch? Then don't listen to my advice. Mar 29, 2016

the seamaster deville are looking good also and so are the modern deville in solid gold...

7. Hijak Mar 29, 2016

The De Ville name started in ~ 1963 as the Seamaster De Ville...
    Wrist Shot, 8.JPG
    This lasted until ~ 1967. In ~1968 Omega launched the De Ville line, separating it from the Seamaster line and here is an example of a chronograph De Ville from 1968...
    New Strap, 4.JPG
    A bit dressier although some were sportier, I believe Todd ( @toddle321 ) has a nice example of this. I think the examples above, with the right strap, can be worn casually.:thumbsup: At least I do.;)

Omega D, Tako Yaki, Nitzbar and 8 others like this.
  8. meganfox17 Mar 29, 2016

Hey @mark2828

Since it's your thread then i guess you wouldnt mind if i tell an Omega joke here. The last time i told one somewhere in the forum.. i was almost burnt to the Stake !

Here goes nothing...

Do you know why Omega forum readers wouldnt mind visiting Hell ...?

Because everyone gets a free DeViL-le

Edited Mar 29, 2016
    mark2828 likes this.
  9. mark2828 Mar 29, 2016

Thanks guys appreciate all the info, so much to learn!!

meganfox17... That was truly horrific and I thought I could tell some terrible jokes :-/

meganfox17 likes this.
  10. Hijak Mar 29, 2016

Alright Megan, for that I'm getting the stake and matches!;)

Garv, meganfox17 and mark2828 like this.
  11. mark2828 Mar 29, 2016

Meganfox17... I think your joke comes from a country song by Joe nichols called "brokenheartsville" the devil rode a coup deville

Sadly my knowledge in country songs is better than watches lol

12. meganfox17 Mar 29, 2016

Dear @mark2828

Oh ! i've got much better jokes that was only teeny weeny spontaneous one. Thank You for replying Marky Mark ..!
    ...Good Vibrations !! Ring a Bell ?
    Some people take this forum too seriously...i'm just on the other extreme...
    but please....The Omega Forum is a Treasure Trove full of priceless invaluable information by Incredibly gifted forum readers...Its pretty Awesome in full flight ! ..i've seen my own Malaysian Watch Forum ...
    Believe Me .It's pathetic , messy , Disorganized. i must say...pretty embarassing to "Watch" My people debate over Omega & Rolex watches...!

13. Riviera Paradise Mar 29, 2016

As requested Agent Fox pic below...Agent Riviera at your service:)

Actually this Orbis has just been on a trip to NY (together with his mates Mr Reverso and Speedy XI-45)....I was actually thinking of selling it...but...I fell in love again with this watch. It is so masculine and cool:cool:

20160329_122230.jpg

14. alam Mar 29, 2016

That's how I started this hobby and I still own my first and only De Ville https://omegaforums.net/threads/do-you-still-own-your-first-vintage-watch.17669/

15. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 29, 2016

There are two things about the "DeVille" name that have always bothered me, and thus probably pre-dispose me (sub-consciously at the very least) to see the name unfavourably.

First, the evil, dog-hating villian in the 101 Dalmatians story is named Cruella De Vil [le]. I guess it's just bad luck for Omega that their DeVille nomenclature pre-dates the Disney story.

cruella.jpg
    image credit: Wikipedia

Second, Deville is a model name for one of those beastly American cars from the early 1970s that never appealed to me at all.

1972 Pontiac Deville
    640px-Grand_Ville_72_1.jpg
    image credit: Mr. Chopper, Wikipedia Commons

Edited Mar 29, 2016
    GregH, alam, mark2828 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Riviera Paradise Mar 29, 2016

LOL

17. mark2828 Mar 29, 2016

I must admit the car was the first thing that sprung to my mind as well when I started reading about the "deville"

Riveria paradise that has to be the most bondesque picture out there well played lol

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  18. GregH Mar 29, 2016

I like your example with the white face, arabic numerals in gold and the steel case.
    I'm waiting for mine (1964, 14K all gold, no numerals, seen in my avatar) to return from service (hopefully this week!).

Hijak likes this.
  19. Hijak Mar 29, 2016

Thank you for the compliment! You do know you owe us pictures when you get it back, right.;) Anyway as you know these wear very nicely and larger than their size would indicate, love mine and almost bought Steve's black dial De Ville that just sold.

And @Jones in LA forgot about the most important De Ville in automotive history...the Cadillac De Ville!:cool:
    cadillac deville.jpg
    68 Cadillac DeVille Conv.jpg
    Awesome!

20. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 29, 2016

Yikes! I can't believe I missed that! Slightly more appealing than the Pontiac.

Hijak likes this.