Forums Latest Members

Omega Deville Prestige Chronograph cal. 861. Need help dating..

1. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

hi there guys. Back with another question. I recently picked up this beautiful Deville. Seller indicated that it was born in 1985 per the caseback serial number. But since it carries an 861, I wonder if this may be subject to the Speedmaster dating apparatus which would put this watch in 1993. Can anyone help? Serial is 48297843

IMG_3986.JPG IMG_4031.JPG
    ahsposo likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 25, 2017

3. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

4. Sgt_Bilko Apr 25, 2017

I understand your dilemma well. If you go by the serial date it would suggest 1985, as does mine, yet in this thread it appears these were only available in the 1990s. https://omegaforums.net/threads/1985-omega-chronograph-caliber-861-what-do-you-think.5754/

I have the same model with the original warranty card and receipts from when the watch was sold in 1997, however it came back from a service a few days ago and the watchmaker's pictures show it has a 17 jewel movement, which would date the production to pre 1993. We know from Speedmasters that cases and movements can made at different times, however I believe your watch like mine is from the 1990s.

deville-861.jpg

ahsposo and Laharrier like this.
  5. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

Wow!!! That looks AMAZING! I need to find a strap that color. Beautiful watch. Looks a bit cleaner than mine. Thanks for all that information.

Any idea what size buckle came on these? I'm interested in finding the original buckle. This watch is such a sleeper! So happy to have stumbled on it.

6. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

Any truth to the bezel being white gold?

7. Sgt_Bilko Apr 25, 2017

It's a 19mm leather strap, however the buckle size can vary according to the way it tapers at the end. This watch originally came with an Omega leather strap that I have just replaced with this new one. The buckle measures 16mm.

I believe some of these came with a white gold bezel, but not others and you'd have to check the reference numbers. Mine appears to be all stainless steel.

Be aware that the case back on these is fiddly to remove and I gather it should only be done by a watchmaker, because the seal may then need to be replaced.

EDIT: Now that I think of it I've also seen these with a yellow gold bezel and gold hands, plus they also came in 18ct gold with matching bracelet.

Laharrier likes this.
  8. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

Beautiful!! I think I'd like to find an Omega buckle.

Would you know how to determine if my reference carries the steel bezel? Also any idea on water resistance? I'd like to rinse mine off to clean it but don't want to risk it if these watches are easily subject to water intrusion.

9. Sgt_Bilko Apr 25, 2017

The warranty card that came with mine quotes the watch as a ref: 48403100, which somebody on the forum said was stainless steel. Curiously the watchmaker who recently serviced this listed the reference as ST1450050, so perhaps somebody can clarify this. I just Googled that and the examples I found indicated a white gold bezel.

In terms of water resistance they are supposed to be good for 30m, assuming fresh seals. In practice I would stay well away from water, but I feel that way about all watches, especially vintage. Frankly I would just keep it away from water to minimise the risk of damage and in any case it will ruin a leather strap at the very least.

I believe a lot of these watches have never been serviced, but a good clean and some fresh oil can work wonders. The 861 is a legendary workhorse, but this does lead some to run them for decades without a service. As always, if you intend to use the watch and don't know the history, then a service is recommended.

Find somebody capable, because the worst thing that can happen to a good watch is a bad watchmaker. Given reasonable treatment you have a watch that can last a lifetime and look great in the process.

10. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

My watch was serviced before coming to me, so that was a nice bonus. It tells great time.

Interesting about the bezel. Can't recall where I saw it but someone on in a post on a forum stated the bezels were in fact Steel although listed certain places as having a white gold bezel.

11. Sgt_Bilko Apr 25, 2017

If I look at this one for example it states that the bezel is white gold.

Laharrier likes this.
  12. R3D9 Apr 25, 2017

Great watch! I love these models. May I ask what size your wrist is? The 36mm size makes me wonder if it would be too small on my 7.25" wrist.

Laharrier likes this.
  13. Sgt_Bilko Apr 25, 2017

I have wrists like a girl at barely 6 inches and most of my watches are around 36mm, but I've worn watches from 32mm right up to the 42mm Speedy without a problem. I never worry about the size as long as they are comfortable. My father has much bigger wrists and he sometimes wears a small vintage 32mm Heuer that looks terrific.

I would say this feels like a fairly substantial watch with a deep case and it's quite heavy compared to other watches of this size. It gives the impression of being well made, yet elegant.

Laharrier likes this.
  14. Laharrier Apr 25, 2017

I agree. The 36mm case is really exceptional. The dial is one of the most well balanced I've ever seen. Perfect symmetry and proportions. It is really an ideal size for me and I don't even have the smallest wrist. I just favor the smaller more elegant sizes of the past. It's what drew me to this watch. It's a bit on the formal side but with the right strap it easily works as a daily wearer in all situations. Very beautiful and luxurious and I'm sure they'll begin climbing in value as more folks learn about them.

15. richardew Apr 26, 2017

I have one that I bought new in the early 2000's. It was manufactured in 1997. Has a black dial and beads of rice bracelet. I believe I have an extract for it. I believe it has a 48 xxx xxx s/n. Just love it. I'm working and don't have access to photos of the watch 'til morning.

Laharrier likes this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 26, 2017

Both references are correct. Omega changed the numbering system while this watch was in production.

Or the case part number is st1450050 or both of those explanations.

It has a steel bezel.

Laharrier likes this.
  17. richardew Apr 26, 2017

weezkid and Laharrier like this.
  18. Sgt_Bilko Apr 26, 2017

It looks like these started in 1993 as shown in the link above, yet all the movement images I have seen show 17 jewels, which were made before 1993, so it looks like Omega took existing 861 movements. At a guess they probably decided on a fixed number production run and sold them up to 1997, but didn't continue with a Cal 1861 version.

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 26, 2017

Once again, one number is the reference number (giving details of the entire watch, so hands, dials, straps, bracelets, etc.) and one is simply the case number. This 055ST1450050 case is used on 36 different watch references...

And yes, the steel case has a steel bezel.

Cheers, Al

Laharrier likes this.
  20. richardew Apr 26, 2017

Here's mine. My communications with Omega state that it was sold by them in 1997.
    "
    The reply from the international archive indicates that serial 48335xxx references to model 48403101 originally sold to an authorized Omega dealer

in 1997."

Sgt_Bilko and Laharrier like this.