Forums Latest Members
  1. seikosematic Dec 21, 2020

Hi all, I'm new to the forum, and while I've been doing a lot of research on my own (you all probably have these links or don't need them, but here's my "tools":
    A list of tons of watch movements, images, and years of production:
    http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk
    Omega serial number decoder:
    https://serial-number-decoder.com/omega/omega.htm/

But now I need the experts.

I'm looking to buy Seamaster Deville--this is an early run, and apparently early on they didn't bear the Deville name on the dial yet? But I haven't seen many other examples where it doesn't bear the DeVille branding, according to:
    https://shop.connoisseuroftime.com/...-cal-560-watch-automatic-date-stainless-steel.
    It's hard to makeout in the image, but according to the seller:
    model is 14910-SC-62
    serial number: 19662104
    Everything seems above bored as far as I can tell (unless the dial has been repainted--it's quality is so good as to make me suspicious). The only issue here is I don't see any model number printed on the inside of the watch, and that is highly suspect
    [​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/a/tMLp1Te
    They're currently asking $1500 USD.

Thanks guys for playing detective with me, I appreciate the help.
    EDIT: All pictures now included in original post based on feedback--though it may still be best organized in the imgur links

faceclose.jpg facefar.jpg backclose.jpg inside.jpg movement1.jpg movement2.jpg
    Edited Dec 21, 2020
  2. MtV Dec 21, 2020

Welcome, seikosematic :)

There are many others here who are better qualified to comment on those watches in detail, but a couple of things worth mentioning:

-Ideally, include all the pictures you have in your post. Makes it easier for members to assess them right away and links may stop working at some point in the future, which then means that the evaluation isn't accessible anymore for another newbie to learn from.

-With many of the 3-digits-point-3-digits-refs (like 166.001), you need to add an extra zero after the dot to find it in the Omega archives. Try googling "Omega 166.0001" and you'll find what you're looking for.

-Don't expect the date on 6 Seamaster (or any vintage dress watch, actually) to be waterproof enough, even for rain or hand washing. They might be, after a watchmaker checked them, put in a new gasket etc., but the next question would be for how long and imo, the risk is huge. An (aftermarket?) tension ring that slightly obscures the SWISS MADE isn't too uncommon, by the way.

-Not discussing taste here, but allow me a personal comment: All three watches you posted have patina / damage on the dial. It's kind of even on the first Seamaster, but the Seamaster-Geneve and the third Seamaster have spots/dirt/blemish on the dial. Be aware of that before you decide to buy a watch like this. I know some people don't mind, just wanna make sure you don't end up looking at the few bad spots on the dial every time you wanna check the time. I know I would.

seikosematic likes this.
  3. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Dec 21, 2020

Foo2rama and janice&fred like this.
  4. seikosematic Dec 21, 2020

Ah, ok it is there. It was hard to make out in the pic, especially with the weird micro text watermarks over it.

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 21, 2020

This watch clearly pre dates the numbering system you have described.

6. MtV Dec 21, 2020

Absolutely - but before he edited his post, he was speaking of the ref 166.001 that he couldn’t find in the archives. Knowing that adding an extra 0 gets you there is a valuable information for the future, no?

Foo2rama likes this.