Forums Latest Members
  1. Got2bm Nov 11, 2015

Hello Everyone!

My name is Jake, I am a student and am purchasing a Omega DeVille Ladies watch from the 1980s from an online dealer. I am purchasing the watch as a wedding proposal/Christmas gift for my fiancee.

I have done a reasonable amount of research (I hope!), but am afraid I might have missed out on certain key details that only experienced watch collectors would be able to pick out..

I have attached a number of photographs on here of the watch, and I hope some of you can help me evaluate the authenticity of the item. I truly appreciate it!

The serial number is: 39 28 99 57, and the calibre is: 625.

The case reference is: 511.0473

Strangely enough, the back case states: Plaque OR G 20 Microns (which I found to mean the watch is plated with 20 microns gold). As you'll see from photos, the watch is stainless steel.. What does that mean?

Also, I have tried searching on the Omega Vintage watches site to see if I can find the exact watch, but I was unable to. Could this be a Frankenwatch?

Do let me know what you all think, I am really excited to make this purchase for her!

Thank You,

Jake

20151110_150505_resized.jpg Screen Shot 2015-11-11 at 12.01.45.png
  2. Canuck Nov 11, 2015

There may be other opinions on this, but it looks legit to me. I will suggest that there may not be a totally comprehensive source that could possibly show every Omega watch from every era that was ever produced. I do have one question. The watch appears to be white in colour. Yet the case back indicates the bezel is 20 microns gold plated. This usually implies that the plating was applied by electroplating, I believe. I was unaware that white gold (which is an alloy) could be applied by electroplating! Could be that case back was used on both plated bezels, as well as stainless steel bezels. Looks like a nice watch, and from appearances, in nice condition. To me, the style appears to be from the '70s, but that is a guess.

3. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Nov 11, 2015

The inside of the case back lists both plated and stainless so, yes, it appears that they used the same case for both.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 11, 2015

Hi Jake and welcome,

The full case reference is 055MF5110473 - Case white gold plated Pd 150 18 Karat, 20 micron - steel back cover

The plating is 18k gold alloyed with palladium, so it is completely legit. The stainless steel notation in the case back is referring to the case back, not the whole case. Dial looks fine as do the hands, and the crown looks right with an Onyx stone in it. The watch looks fine, but has it been serviced? If not, then that would be the first thing you should have done.

Congrats.

Cheers, Al

5. Got2bm Nov 11, 2015

Thank You all! Really appreciate all your knowledgeable assistance!