Forums Latest Members
  1. M'Bob Mar 8, 2019

...with apologies to all, across many watch fora, who say that, instead of 'deployant.'

But seriously: I'm scouting out a stainless model with 18mm or 16mm ends, and have been made aware that besides a brushed vs a shiny finish, there are two other iterations: a regular length, and one that is shorter. My recollection is that this does not affect the wearing circumference, just the diameter the strap opens and closes...and how much metal contacts the wrist.

If the foregoing is mostly accurate, can anyone weigh in with experience why choose one over the other, whether it's a price, comfort, or aesthetic issue? Thanks.

2. Om3ga321 Mar 8, 2019

I don't have a clue to your question.The only thing that makes sense to me is if you have a small wrist with larger hands then the longer clasp can open out further since long or short does not effect the wearing circumference.

M'Bob likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2019

I had the 18mm one that I presume was regular length as the part that opened was relatively large, and while I have large wrists I found it to be quite uncomfortable and never sat right on me so I got rid of it, due to the asymmetrical nature of it, the sort of folded bit of the deployant would require me to rotate the watch to a less than ideal angle for it to fit comfortably which was just a bit weird. I might have strange wrists or something but I haven't noticed the issue with other deployants only the Omega OEM in the style of the Planet Ocean clasp.

M'Bob likes this.
  4. M'Bob Mar 8, 2019

Thanks. I have heard this criticism before, and it had me thinking that going with the smaller model (40mm vs 45mm) might mitigate somewhat the issue you describe. From recollection, was it the acute curve a one point in the clasp that made the fitting off...and do the clasps that fit more comfortably lack this?

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2019

The feel of it was a bit like a hockey stick, although it doesn't look that severe in pictures, the left part of it in the pic below is what felt odd and didn't sit right, forcing me to move the head of the watch to an impractical angle for the clasp to sit right and overall it didn't gel with me. This is an older clasp so maybe the new ones are better and I haven't tried a shorter one for comparison. By comparison the Patek Calatrava style deployant has a more continuous smooth curve and less of a flat bit and kink to it.

[​IMG]

M'Bob likes this.
  6. M'Bob Mar 8, 2019

Excellent; thanks for the insights.

7. alam Mar 8, 2019

FWIW...I have three watches on Omega deployants - all of regular length. The modern Speedy (18mm), FOIS (16mm] and the 57 (18mm) and I wish all of my other buckles/straps combinations were as comfortable and as pain-free to put on/take off and wear as these Omega deployants. My wrist is fairly flat at ~7.5’, it is true that the watch shifts slightly away from a perfect wrist center but this is so insignificat (in my perosnal experience) that is a non-issue for me. I don’t forsee wearing these three watches on anything than these deployants... hey! did I tell you I’m a fan of Omega OEM deployants?

:)

5233B1ED-8269-44E4-854E-9821AA410B45.jpeg 8675540A-D4EB-4C2E-95D8-FBDDF6559947.jpeg 1D2E57E8-1D68-4FE4-9734-C5B3D100FE34.jpeg
    mydeafcat and M'Bob like this.
  8. alam Mar 8, 2019

and for those who make that common error, let’s make sure they read #9 here .... :)

M'Bob likes this.
  9. M'Bob Mar 8, 2019

Thanks much. What made you choose the shiny finish over the satin? Is one more earmarked for a particular watch vs the other?

Or to re-phrase: does the shiny finish go better with a particular model, and likewise the brushed?

Edited Mar 8, 2019
  10. M'Bob Mar 8, 2019

Yes...and aside from all the trashing this site routinely gets, some of the others weren't half bad either, to be fair...

alam likes this.
  11. alam Mar 8, 2019

The one on the Speedy (shinny) is the one that was the standard option for this model at the time of purchase (2012?) I don’t know of a satin option for the 16mm version, and the one on the 57 (not pictured above) is the newer satin version.

M'Bob likes this.
  12. Mathlar Mar 8, 2019

Like Alam, I am also a fan. The longer deployant also makes the watch sit slightly off centre for me, but it’s also a non-issue for me and isn’t uncomfortable.

And shiny deployant for shiny Speedmaster case.

alam and M'Bob like this.