Forums Latest Members

Omega Deployant Straps for Small Wrists

1. bama2141 Sep 18, 2018

Changing up the band can totally change the look of a watch and make it feel new again. I’ve cycled through many bracelets and usual pin buckle straps but, until recently, never tried the Omega deployant straps.

Thanks to a couple of purchases on the forums, I now have nice alligator deployant straps for my speedmaster Pro and speedmaster MkIV. At a wrist size of just short of 7 inches, I’m pushing near the smallest adjustment on the strap. Although they do fit, it seems that the buckle is quite far toward the edge of my wrist, and the amount of tongue buried under the strap is somewhat excessive.

So my question about is this: does Omega make a shorter version of their straps? From what I’ve read their standard is 100mm/105mm for the two legs. If they make a short, how short is it?

I really like the clean look of how these wear. I’d just like to optimize the fit.

D131A700-00C9-471E-81FA-34593FFE7BF6.jpeg

alam likes this.
  2. ext1 Sep 18, 2018

No as far as I know they don't but I have heard some people being able to order custom sizes from OBs. Maybe you can try JR. I was crazy into deployants before too, and I ended up having a custom sized one made. I have a bony wrist...

3. bama2141 Sep 19, 2018

Thanks ext1. Maybe custom is the way to go, but I really like the way Omega is adding the reinforcing band around the fastening holes on their newer cordura or leather straps. Haven’t seen any aftermarket straps with that feature.

4. Skyfire Sep 19, 2018

they do have short versions of most straps, ref.nr. is the regular nr. followed by S, I believe they are 5mm shorter on each end

5. omegawatchlvr Sep 19, 2018

I have the same problem with an even smaller wrist . I was about to give up on the deployant straps and and gave it one last try when I saw a Genuine Omega calf strap in size S for sale I bought it , and could finally experience what alot of folks were talking about. It's briljant once you have the correct fitment. OMEGA CUZ001951 is the strap nr I bought, it's a really classy combo on my 2254 Seamaster.

David

6. yinzerniner Sep 19, 2018

The older deploy straps had the "S" added, but a lot of the newer ones don't.

There actually aren't many versions of shorter straps from Omega, but you can get it custom made as long as you get the measurements right.

Also, the material and construction design goes a long way towards determining fit as opposed to full strap length. The gator straps fit smaller than leather, while leather fits smaller than cordura. I find the cordura straps are a full hole larger than the gator straps.

To the OP, you can contact JR directly and ask them for a custom strap for the Omega clasp, and ask them for a shorter lengths.

7. bama2141 Sep 19, 2018

8. bama2141 Sep 19, 2018

Thanks much for the replies and information. Sounds like there’s hope for my chicken wrist!

9. lustrousaurus Sep 19, 2018

I have a 6.5" wrist and I had a short deployant buckle ordered because they only made the Snoopy strap one size.

GrouchoM likes this.
  10. jroam82 Sep 19, 2018

Does a short deployant buckle even affect the overall length in its closed position? It would still hold the same parts of the strap together in the closed position - just give you less of an opening when open, right?

11. Skyfire Sep 20, 2018

less strap under the deployant and, more importantly, a better position of the deployant on your wrist

12. jroam82 Sep 20, 2018

A shorter strap will do that.

Not a shorter deployant buckle itself (which is what lustrosaurus was talking about).

13. yinzerniner Sep 20, 2018

Not necessarily, as the shorter deploy clasp makes the inner diameter ever so slightly smaller so it effects the closed position, but I doubt it would be noticeable in a side by side comparison. But yes, in practical terms the total circumference of the "closed loop" stays roughly the same while the "open loop" is smaller with the short clasp.

The bigger effect on comfort is the small clasp has less metal on the wrist and the pressure points are closer together, so depending on how the wrist is shaped and sized could be in a better position since the steel doesn't cover as large an area, and conversely the larger clasp might be more comfortable because the opposite characteristics.

14. jroam82 Sep 20, 2018

So what you're saying is I'm not necessarily right, but you doubt it would be noticeable, but in a practical sense what I said is correct, and there's a bigger effect on comfort based on pressure points and wrist shape, but that could go either way too?

Cool.

15. watchstick_81 Jul 17, 2019

Does anyone know the size of the smaller Omega deployant clasp? I have the reference 94521813 and wonder if I should go for a smaller version. The loop when opened is quite large but I wonder what the difference is with the smaller clasp. I still want to be able to take it off ;-)

16. omegawatchlvr Jul 18, 2019

@JVK_watches I don't know the size of the short clasp but my wrist is 6,5" sometimes even smaller in the winter and my clasp sits centered with the previous mentioned short strap.

17. watchstick_81 Jul 18, 2019

Ok thank you! Can you please let me know the reference number that is on the inside of the clasp (when opened below the strap)? The reference that ends with 13 is the regular version. 33 is the short clasp.

18. omegawatchlvr Jul 18, 2019

19. watchstick_81 Jul 18, 2019

Thanks! I have the same one so that's good news.

20. turbodub Jul 18, 2019

Does anyone know the length of the short length OEM deployant straps? I'm planning to ask JR to make me a custom strap, and knowing the OEM spec would help. Apparently the short lengths vary for different models - I'm doing this for a Speedmaster Blue Side of the Moon (the regular length strap is CUZ007281). Thanks!