Forums Latest Members
  1. ottowl Jun 4, 2014

Hi,

I inherited my grandfathers old Omega De Ville. I'm pretty sure he received it when he retired but he was a regular brick layer so I don't expect too much. He received it possibly in the 70s...

Questions:
    -- Is the strap original? I see no Omega logos on it. I had some red marks on my wrist after wearing the watch one night and I'm wondering if it is nickel allergies and what does that tell me about the strap. I would prefer a dark brown leather strap.

-- How do I know what type of gold watch it is?

-- Estimated value for something like this? Just a ballpark.

Let me know if you need any more photos and thanks for such a wonderful forum!

Cheers

Omega_de_ville1.jpg Omega_de_ville2.jpg
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 4, 2014

Bracelet isn't original, its a twist-o-flex, very commonly used in that era, I'd remove it and replace it with a quality aftermarket leather strap like a Hadley Roma or something similar. The watch looks like its gold-cap, don't wear it or wind it until its been serviced.

citizenrich and ottowl like this.
  3. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Jun 4, 2014

Yes, aftermarket bracelet (these "twist-o-flex" stretchers were very popular back in the day). It's destroying your watch case and most likely the lugs as well.

you can get a strap and tang buckle for like 40 bucks all-in from anyplace which carries watch straps ( on- line). See below .

As far as value: priceless. Unless you hated your grandpa hahaha. Doubtful, since he had good taste.

If you walked into a pawnshop or put it on ebay then it's probably worth $200 - $400

you should be able to get a bare bones clean, oil, adjustment (COA) for 150 bucks (you're going to need a little polishing). and the watch will most likely outlive you.

Put a strap on it and wear it well...!

ps - nice "scallop crown".

*edit / upon further review, the watch itself is in pretty fine condition. Even if it's not your taste or style, you'll enjoy wearing it to family formals and get-togethers and can be a nice family conversation piece. I promise you, these watches look great with shirts cuffs and jackets like for weddings and such :)

image.jpg image.jpg
    ottowl likes this.
  4. ottowl Jun 4, 2014

Thank you for your quick replies. Wow, internet...

Any thoughts on where I should get the watch serviced? I'm currently in Sweden but I travel every now and then to London and soon I'm heading to California. I have a couple of automatic Seikos and some 60s watches that I'd like to get up and running too.

Is it better to send them somewhere and avoid the expensive high street prices?

5. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2014

You have a very nice gold capped (a thick layer of gold on steel) early to mid 60's Seamaster DeVille with probably a caliber 60x inside. If sold on eBay, it would fetch $400 - $600. Nice heirloom!

citizenrich and ottowl like this.
  6. Mothra Jun 4, 2014

Christian is in the uk, but nowhere near London; I think stefan is in London. Both are well recommended on this forum and as citizenrich said, very reasonable. I'd be looking to avoid high st chimps without a clue rather than their prices... I'd second the Hadley roma strap suggestion - also, take a look at ebay sellers westonwatchstraps or odemark who should have some interesting options. The WRUW thread here can give you ideas of what will look good on your watch.

Northernman and citizenrich like this.