Forums Latest Members

Omega De Ville - Grandfather Inheritance - Want to know more

1. ruigomes Feb 3, 2014

This is my first post here, I've read through the rules and I think you guys can help me.

So I had this watch for a really long time that was given to me by my grandfather that has unfortunately passed away when I was very young.

I have nothing aside from the red Omega case and the watch itself.

I've attached some images to the end of this post.

I would like to know the basics:

• Which model is this (I only know it's the De Ville main model)?
    • How much would it cost to have it repaired (it has a few scratches) and the battery (?) replaced?
    • How much is it worth? (I don't intend to sell it, but it would be a nice thing to know)
    • Any other thing you know about it (the decade it was bought would be an interesting thing to know).
    Thanks in advance for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bobs citizens Feb 3, 2014

I would take it to a watch maker and get the old battery out asap and get a new one put in. Guessing wouldn't be more then $5 - $10. As far as history goes my guess would be mid- 70's. There are people on this forum with a lot more knowledge then I, so perhaps a few of them will chime in.

You might do a search on eBay for Omega Quartz and get a ball park figure as to value. I would take the watch to a watch maker as soon as possible and get the old battery out before it leaks if it hasn't already.

Bob

ruigomes likes this.
  3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 3, 2014

quartz (battery) watches are not particularly valued by collectors. as this isn't solid gold, likely to be less than $100.
    I agree with Bob re battery change, as the old battery could be leaking and damaging the movement.
    it also appears to be missing the crown, which may have allowed water/moisture into it.

ruigomes likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2014

You could replace the crystal and get it serviced (movement test/lube and battery).
    The cost would be more than the current value of the watch so the level of sentiment will be your decider.
    The crown isn't missing, it's a feature of the 1365 caliber, similar to this one.

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 5.11.56 pm.png

ruigomes likes this.
  5. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Feb 4, 2014

I stand corrected

ruigomes likes this.
  6. ruigomes Feb 4, 2014

So I would be looking at around 100€ to get a new battery and the front glass (crystal) repaired?

How much could this have costed back in the 70s? I'm guessing it devaluated a lot and wasn't worth $100 back then.

7. dbonddental Feb 4, 2014

ruigomes, just cherish it...
    And change the battery. Quick!

ruigomes likes this.
  8. ruigomes Feb 4, 2014

I'm not interested in selling it, just wondering how much did it cost my grandfather to buy it since I don't come from a wealthy family, this was either a bargain watch or he made a huge sacrifice to buy it back then.

Will do ASAP, however it has been at least 15 years since the battery was changed, so I guess my chances are not that high of not having a ruined movement by the battery acid :\

9. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 4, 2014

i will have a look at my catalogues when I get home. Not sure if I have any 80s pricelists, but I might do.