Forums Latest Members

Omega de Ville Co-Axial limited edition 1999; investment piece

1. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

Dear OF,

What are your thought about the Omega de Ville Co-Axial limited edition 1999.

To me this watch is really interesting.

The Omega de Ville limited series of 1999 is the first serial produced watch that has a co-axial movement. It was introduced in 1999 as a limited series in red gold with a dark blue dial, yellow gold with a silvered dial gold and platinum also with a silvered dial. Although I don’t like all the writing on the dial, this watch has been really important for the company Omega. It was the first watch that used the co-axial escapement of George Daniels. An invention that improves the accuracy of the watch significantly. George Daniels went to other companies like Patek Philippe and Rolex to show prototypes of this movement in their own watches, but all showd no interest. ~Until the late Nicolas Hayek from Omega close a deal. Although the horological industry was first introduced to the concept in 1976, Daniels' escapement was met with scepticism and lack of interest. It was not until the 1980s that Swatch Group chairman Nicolas Hayek adopted the concept, using it in his upmarket Omega brand. Since the late nineties he co-axial movement has been a cornerstone of the watch design of Omega.

From other sites:
    1999 saw the launch of the Daniels-designed Co-Axial Escapement within Omega’s De Ville collection. To celebrate the launch limited edition watches were produced, This first series of watches made in yellow gold 999 pieces, rose gold 999 pieces and platinum in a super limited 99 pieces only. In London a launch party was held at Watches of Switzerland, Bond Street at which George Daniels was present

A very important watch. Although I don't like all the lines of text on the dial, this is a cool piece of history for Omega.
    Is this an interesting investment piece? Time will tell. Would love to know your thoughts!

Best, Wouter

omega-deville-coaxial-le-redgold.jpg omega-deville-coaxial-le-yellowgold.jpg omega-deville-coaxial-le-platinum.jpg
    M'Bob and Alfista88 like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 11, 2019

“Although I don't like all the lines of text on the dial...”

If youdon’t like how it looks, why on earth would you want to buy one? ::screwloose::

Foo2rama, S.H., efauser and 5 others like this.
  3. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

i weigh this less cause i think this watch is a milestone for omega.

4. fskywalker Mar 11, 2019

::facepalm1::

5. tyrantlizardrex Mar 11, 2019

But if you don't like it, why would you buy it? ::screwloose::

Watches are first, and foremost not investments - despite what various interested parties would like you to believe. ::facepalm1::

If you like the watch, would wear and enjoy the watch, and can afford to buy the the watch - then go find one.

Otherwise, I don't really understand why you would bother. :thumbsdown:

6. Omegafanman Mar 11, 2019

This one is on my wish list along with a speedy 125

7. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 11, 2019

OHS, George.A, S.H. and 5 others like this.
  8. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

get your point about investment. I stated it like that cause this one is limited and really special. I think the Omega de Ville Co-Axial limited edition 1999 is a very interesting piece. It looks great, I just don't like the lines of text on it that much. Besides that is a great watch. I just wonder if this is the only reason that this watch doesn't get the appreciation. I just would love to discuss this and get some feed-back. I am not buying or selling this piece. Just love to know what other OF members think about this one. Love the 125!!

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 11, 2019

It was always a bit wordy and odd, with the pie pan facets rotated 15 degrees for some unusual reason to make the dial furniture work, I know a local dealer who bought one cheap and ended up owning it forever as he couldn’t find a taker.

KingCrouchy and wouter van wijk like this.
  10. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

the late George Daniels was quite good too in dials (understatement). Did he also get involved with this dial then? Did he insisted on al those lines. Or was that more Omega design team/ Hayek? Why did they rotate the pie pan facets? Perhaps to balance it more with all those lines of text?

11. KingCrouchy Mar 11, 2019

I really respect this limited edition for it's history. But the fonts used on the dial make it look like a cheap chines knock-off and ruin the hole watch for me. I think it will be hard for a watch to appreciate in price if the design doesn't draws people to it. If you like the piece buy it and enjoy it, and don't care what others think.:thumbsup:

wouter van wijk and Gav1967 like this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2019

Note that the OP is dealer...so I think his strategy is not necessarily the same as for the pure collectors here.

13. Dan S Mar 11, 2019

I have no idea if it's a good investment, but it's not appealing to me. The dial looks really cheesy.

14. Gav1967 Tend not to fret too much Mar 11, 2019

I am not necessarily against a watch appreciating in value over time and therefore making money however I have never used this as the predominant driver for buying one. This might be different if I was offered a watch for a very low price that I knew was worth more and I could therefore turn a quick profit but this is not something I look for.
    I buy only what I like and will wear. Of course I do try to hazard a guess at likely depreciation when I weigh up the merits of any prospective purchase with the hope of not losing my shirt in the event of selling on at point in the future if needs must.

In terms of this watch I don't find it aesthetically pleasing regardless of it's antiquity. Too much text on the dial and those Roman numerals (ugh!!). Reminiscent of a "looky-looky" man purchase from a Spanish beach as far as I am concerned.

wouter van wijk and KingCrouchy like this.
  15. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Mar 11, 2019

Skipping the debate on the merits of the coaxial escapement, I do think these pieces are important to the history of the brand as they kicked off what has come to define an era for Omega. They have leaned into the coaxial thing hard, and these were the first. Does that mean I think these will increase in value and prove to be good investments? Nope. I think the design is a bit of a mess. There are some decent vintage cues - perhaps too many mixed ones - but I can't get over the bad fonts with poor spacing.

16. Risto Mar 11, 2019

I wonder what were they thinking in Omega when they decided to put all that text on the dial. It looks like cheap Chinese crap.
    I guess they took some drawings from the 50s and tried to clone it, but the result is appalling.
    It would have worked with just the Omega logo and chronometer line.

It's strange that companies still put the text 'Automatic' on the dial. It's not like it's a new thing.

I would never buy a watch as an investment that I don't want to wear.
    If people don't lust about it, then who buys it?

Gav1967 likes this.
  17. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

I understand not everybody likes this headline, that might raise some questions. I am an Omega fan like all members such as collectors or watchmakers here on the OF. My point is to discuss this piece. I always love to look further than the usual. I personally love Omega and I also love the by some called ugly ducks or marmite watches such as the Flightmaster, the Speedmaster 125, Bullhead and also this one. Do I buy these pieces because they are commercially very interesting? No I don't. I bought a Flightmaster before I started to become a dealer. I have that one for sale, just because to fund my birth year Speedmaster. Please tell me if it is not allowed as a dealer to start such a topic on OF.

I guess most agree it is a quite important piece. But the dial design is a quite off. I wonder if this watch will appreciate in the future even if the dial design does not represent the pinnacle of Omega's esthetics. Nowadays the Co-axial movement represents one of the cornerstones of Omega engineering

18. M'Bob Mar 11, 2019

Can't put my finger on it, but there's something appealing to it in an over-done, tarted-out sorta way. Kind of like when you go to a party, and you're with your wife, and you both see some gal with a too-tight dress, with all the goods spilling out: you both agree there's a lack of class and refinement, but you can't stop looking nonetheless...

19. wouter van wijk Mar 11, 2019

I like your style Bob. Second time this day I am crying out loud. Also after you trio comment. Which on of this trio would you pick at date night? I prefer the black and the salmon. YG is too much plane Jane to me

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 11, 2019

No one has said anything about dealers not being able to post such threads, so there's no need to take offence here. I was simply letting Chris know that your reasons for buying watches may be quite different from others here who are not buying watches with the express intent to resell, and you are doing it as a business.

If I was buying to resell, I would not care one bit if I liked the watch or not, only if it is something that can be resold without issue. You have openly stated you are a dealer on these forums, so I wasn't telling any secrets...

Cheers, Al