Forums Latest Members

Omega De Ville, Caliber 1120, Yellow Gold Crown Review

1. Across the Ocean Apr 16, 2013

I bought the Omega de Ville, caliber 1120 watch from an authorized dealer in Calgary in early in 2008.

In April 2008 I had to send it to Swatch in Toronto for repair as it did not keep time as advertised and was sent back to me in May 2008.

In October 2011 the watch was again sent to Swatch or repairs as it failed to keep time and the self-winding mechanism was proving inadequate. The bill for repairs was $654.15

In September 2012 I woke up one morning and found the dial to have displaced during the night. Seeing the last repair offered a two year warranty I contacted Swatch in Toronto and got confirmation that the watch was still under warranty. So I sent my watch to Swatch in Toronto only to be told the repairs would cost me $378.00 as the damage sustained by the watch was not covered under the warranty.

I declined this offer and have chosen to write off Omega as offering neither quality nor service. Bottom line: The worst investment I ever made.

Did I get a lemon or is this quality and customer service typical?

2. Wheels Apr 16, 2013

Fortunately we aren't a bunch of fanboys here and do recognise that Omega, like any other company, is fallible.
    I personally think you got a lemon. It might be worth going down to your local boutique with all the receipts/service records you have and explaining the situation to see if they can't cut you a break. It depends, I suppose, on how much you like the watch. If its something that you love then try to find an amicable way to get it fixed. If not, write it off.
    Another option is to take it to an independent watchmaker who will definitely charge you less than Omega.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

David, first welcome to the forum. Perhaps we can help or advise you in getting your watch sorted out.

Was this a used watch when you bought it? Do you have the model number and pictures of the watch? What does, "dial to have displaced", mean?? Did you drop it that night?

watchfun2 likes this.
  4. Across the Ocean Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for the replies and advice Wheels and Cicindela. It's appreciated.

That's good advice about checking independent watchmakers Wheels if it has to be serviced out of warranty..

The watch was purchased new to me. According to my documentation it is a Omega De Ville Caliber: 1120, Case Reference: 1681055, Serial Number: 81019257. See my photo below.

The dial just appeared displaced when I woke up - no dropping was involved. I'm a senior, and not a rough and tumble person where my own abuse would be a factor.

It was my expectation that when I paid such a premium to Omega for a timepiece that it would seldom if ever need repair, keep time accurately, and that the company would stand by their product. Otherwise, it would have made sense to have purchased a cheap, disposable, department store watch. Is my expectation out of line with what you have seen?

Thanks again for the replies and helping me out.

[​IMG]

5. Wheels Apr 17, 2013

Hey David, is that photo before or after the dial displacement? If its after, I can't seem to make out any aberration.
    For a good independent watchmaker in Canada, you would be best to speak to forum member Archer. Drop him a PM, Al does fantastic work by all reports, is very professional and is in your area.

6. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 17, 2013

I think I can recommend a positive course of action to get you sorted out. One of our members here, Al Archer of Archer watches,
    ( Archer ) is a master watchmaker with extensive training with Omega. Where this is good for you is , he is in Canada, so you can send him your watch without any problems. Al is the kind of technical expert that knows every aspect of a watch. He works on these like it was the space shuttle. I have great faith that he would be able to get to the bottom of your troubles and recommend the best action. Send him a PM to discuss it with him further or contact him at http://www.archerwatches.ca/

7. Across the Ocean Apr 18, 2013

Thank you for your very helpful advice and recommendation of Al Archer.

I will be in touch with him!