Forums Latest Members
  1. one eyed Jack Feb 13, 2018

When fitted to the one piece case these dials seem to often get a hammering which is down I suppose to inexperienced watch repairers, I have an automatic with a crossed lines dial which has had some damage, otherwise it keeps very good time. I would guess the movement is a 565 cal as its date only, so a decent enough movement. What is my best option, try to find a replacement dial, have mine repainted or just live with it, the watch has a nice rice bead strap by Omega too. I've seen some nice NOS dials on ebay inc from Cosmic 2000 watches, these used the 1000 series high beat movements so my Q is would one of these faces fit my watch

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 13, 2018

Can you post photos of the damage? This sometimes happens because non-genuine crystals are used in place of genuine Omega crystals. The tension ring has a different design (with a step) on the Omega crystals, so it's possible that if another type was used at some point, that may be the cause of the damage.

There are some dials still; available from Omega, but if you can provide the case reference (it will be on the back of the case) I'll take a look.

Cheers, Al

ebrohman and one eyed Jack like this.
  3. one eyed Jack Feb 13, 2018

difficult to get a good picture, the worst bit is a small North-South crease just to the right of 9 o clock on the dial, the case requires the 166026. TOOL 107 open, I have a 2nd cosmic watch same case, same movement, where sections of the paint on the dial have been lost, I'll try to put up photos tomorrow when the light is better

4. dan7800 Feb 13, 2018

Al can definity chime in here, but I just went through a somewhat similar situation with a cosmic dial. I discovered that finding a good, vintage replacement was essentially impossible. I checked Chrono24, Ebay, etc.... several times a day and there was nothing. The only option I had was to purchase a donor watch.

Personally, unless the damage is horrendous, I'd just say to live with it.

one eyed Jack likes this.
  5. one eyed Jack Feb 14, 2018

I've seen a nice tuxedo style dial for sale, which I prefer to the original. The advert says its for a 565 and it has Cosmic on the dial so I'd assume straightforward replacement but its no bargain and I think it ought to be on a gold/plate case but that could be a trick of the light

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Di...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 14, 2018

cosmic.jpg
    Pretty sure that I've got a very similar dial in a stainless case. Mine is heavily damaged around the edge.
    I'll try and get a picture up over the weekend as I'd like to hear Al's comments, if possible.
    It was my gateway watch to vintage collecting and ultimately OmegaForums.
    I've seen versions of this dial with the black and gold hour markers reversed to the above example too.

I think this one may have been a repeat listing for year after year so an offer might be worthwhile.

7. chipsotoole Feb 14, 2018

cosmic.jpg

if you're feeling brave enough. This is how to pop off a crystal from a sealed back watch with a syringe and a plastic bag. I've done it on a Dynamic just to brush away some dust and debris. Crystal just clips back in. It should work fine on a cal 565 cosmic, but if you want to do more and change dials, you'll need a hands removing tool and you'll have to be ultra careful. It's very easy to damaged the tiny retaining pins on the dial back. I decided to keep my cosmic with it's matching brick bracelet in the original tatty state..I like the aged patina, though this missing leg to the M of Omega kinda bugs me. great watches Cosmics..highly underrated.

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2018

Still no photos of the original dial put up, so it's difficult to know what it can be replaced with unless I know what you have on the watch now. There are new dials available from Omega, so if I can actually see what it is you have I can tell you if something similar is available...

9. one eyed Jack Feb 14, 2018

the damage is a small crease in the dial between 9 and the centre, its not visible in my photographs, sorry

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2018

I'm not sure why you won't post a photo of the dial, but I can't help you any more until you do. The damage is not all that I need to see...

11. one eyed Jack Feb 14, 2018

ok, the damage is much more apparent on the watch with the black strap

gold 002.JPG gold 001.JPG
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2018

Thanks - I needed to see this because the dial you are proposing in that link that should be a "straight swap" may not be depending on the style of dial that is on the watch you have now. If the dial you have would have been a flat printed dial without applied markers for example, then likely the hour wheel, cannon pinion, and sweep seconds pinion would not be long enough to mount the hand on if you install a dial with tall raised markers. There's more to matching up dials with cases and movements than most people are aware of.

Since your dial already has applied markers, you already have the longer parts so fitting the hands should not be a problem. That dial is an absolute bargain compared to buying a new dial from Omega, so if it's one you like then by all means snap it up.

There are three dials available for this watch from Omega. One is a flat black printed dial with white text, luminous markers, and cross hairs. The other is a silver tone dial very similar to yours, but with no cross hairs and no lume. The last is a blue sunburst dial with applied markers similar to yours, but those markers have lume.

They are all about double what the dial on eBay is going for.

Cheers, Al

Emeister and one eyed Jack like this.
  13. one eyed Jack Feb 14, 2018

thanks, the black strap watch is rather more problematic though, are mickey mouse transfers available that would cover up the damage

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2018

::confused2::

15. one eyed Jack Feb 14, 2018

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 14, 2018

Well you have officially left my area of expertise, as I've never installed a Mickey Mouse (or any other kind) of decal on a watch dial. The idea sounds a little Goofy to me...

ChrisN and dan7800 like this.
  17. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Feb 14, 2018

Mine's not as damaged as I remembered.
    Obviously a non-date version but thought it worth posting to show what switching to the eBay dial could look like. And what sort of hands you may want to think about.
    2018-02-15 09.28.35.jpg
    A great catcher of the light and always a joy to look at whilst driving into the sun on the way to work.

Of course Mickey is another option.

Edited Feb 14, 2018
  18. Sherbie Feb 14, 2018

Not sure if this helps or hinders but......a Seamaster Cosmic ST 166.026 ( tool 107) was the second Omega i bought.

I decided to have it serviced, and had the dial swaped ( for a new cosmic dial)

I had the old dial returned and photos below

As you can see, there was damage in three places

Cheers paul

4614D8A5-D65C-44A5-A20C-596AB8ED8670.jpeg FB1BD211-A24D-4DF1-B5AC-C6683D6C2F69.jpeg

19. one eyed Jack Feb 15, 2018

transfers for women's nails might just do it
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nail-Art...m=302274441995&_trksid=p2045573.c100506.m3226Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    lovely watch, there seem to be quite a few different movements have been used in this style of case, day date, 752 or possibly 750, you can't be sure until it comes apart, and date and non date manual 600 series watches, the black face ones seem to demand very steep prices
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1969s-Ome...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

20. one eyed Jack Feb 15, 2018

Similar issues as my black strap watch, the same seller of the tuxedo dial has at least two of these cross hair dials for sale at £50, which isn't bad but my watch has an additional fault in that it doesn't change date automatically as it should. I need to use the quick change facility, so renovation will have to wait.