Forums Latest Members
  1. Kokito Jul 16, 2019

Why this Omega Constellation OCC is that underrated? Has two versions in gold cap and steel. Gold bezels, sapphire crystals and really well made. Chronometer movement, and big size.

IMG_7650.jpeg IMG_7648.jpeg

Edited Jul 19, 2019
  2. cristos71 Jul 16, 2019

It's a fine looking watch indeed, and one of the reasons that make this is a great hobby is that there is something out there for everybody, we don't all have to like the same models.

The Constellation line is very collectable with a huge amount of references, some collected more than others. Most of the collectors I know go for the earlier references with the more classic round case, so bumpers and 5** series movements.

As yours is the less collected C-shape and the even lesser collected quartz version I'd say your watch is very sharp and an excellent example of its type...but hot it's not...at least not to me anyway.

BenBagbag, Peemacgee, SG90 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ed Black Jul 16, 2019

Nice looking watches! But collectors (me too) value the mechanical movements higher than the quartz versions. There's a back history and, well mystery (to me as a non watchmaker) with the mechanical watches that you don't get with quartz.

WatchCor, DaveK, SG90 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Kokito Jul 16, 2019

Ok, but a lot of other quartz Omegas are in higher price range. People are paying same or more money for simple 31-34mm versions in worse condition and movement. I just don't understand why not this one. As you wrote, it's C-shape but it's a big problem? I'll be happy with my two boys. Maybe in the future more people will see they.

5. Kokito Jul 16, 2019

I was misunderstood.

I did not want to compare quartz and mechanical models, it's two different things. A lot of quartz models are in good money, Omege Reverso Equinoxe, whole Constellations with teeth, quartz Omega divers like jacques mayol or Calypso. They are popular and in adequate prices.

Regards :thumbsup:

6. cristos71 Jul 16, 2019

The question I answered was whether it was hot or not, not whether it was adequately priced in relation to other quartz watches.

The Calypso and more recently the Mayol are outliers to the quartz norm, probably due to their pleasing dive watch asthetic. TBH some of asking prices I've seen recently for the Mayol are to put it mildly, "wildly optimistic"

Peemacgee and Shabbaz like this.
  7. TexOmega Jul 16, 2019

I can see you starting www.constellationquartz101.com in the near future. Good luck, and you'll be way ahead of the curve.

I don't hear the drummer's beat, but maybe you do. Follow your passion.

Syrte, ConElPueblo and DaveK like this.
  8. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 16, 2019

A very nice sharp example of a run of the mill dark ages model of very little interest to a seasoned collector. Quirky but not hot. Well you did ask!

Edited Jul 17, 2019
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 16, 2019

Not a fan of gold cap, as they tend to look like crap after some wears of wear-and-tear. Chronometer movement? How hard is that with quartz? Sapphire crystal... All of the things that, for me, give a watch its soul are absent here. Plus I am not a fan of gold watches in general as they look too dressy (I am a polo shirt/ t-shirt person).

10. KingCrouchy Jul 16, 2019

The tone reminded my of the classic Hodwinkee pump and dump.:whistling:

Syrte likes this.
  11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 17, 2019

Hi @Kokito
    Unfortunately, this is the essence of the debate.

I had the pleasure of working with a couple of Korean guys who both wore quartz Constellations and couldn’t understand why I would want to wear my antiquated mechanical Connies.

Collecting is about the personal pleasure that you derive from your watches but value is about the general demand for particular watches.
    Quartz watches are not (generally) in demand by collectors, so have less value.

The great thing is that you should be able to find watches in stunning condition, like the one you have posted above, at very reasonable prices.

Collect these watches and enjoy them because they give you personal pleasure, just don’t expect them to soar in price anytime soon.

maxbliss888 and DT11 like this.
  12. Kokito Jul 17, 2019

You’re right, I had over 50 vintage Omegas and more of them was mechanical, I love it too. It’s only about quartz Omega.

Quartz Omega are also a part of history and should not be discriminated.

Tako Yaki likes this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 17, 2019

Not really discriminated just not collected as much due to being Quartz.
    Think most here have at least one quartz watch.
    I have two that I use to set all my automatic and manual watches with and still wear them every now and then.

As said above, more the bonus for you and anyone else that can pick these up a lot cheaper

But a bit like trying to convince a Harley Davidson rider to ride or buy a electric bike. ( not a easy thing to do )

14. spacemission Jul 17, 2019

This Constellation is rare to see. Quartz and chronometer is a good mix.

Tako Yaki and DT11 like this.
  15. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Jul 17, 2019

Since you asked about best investments in another thread- this is speculative.
    Watch collectors and watch enthusiasts say you should buy what you like and not buy to invest,
    Because right now some watches are not fashionable, and no one knows what the future holds.

Using the forum as a sounding board for future trends is very risky-/ especially if you’re not a consummate enthusiast. Most very successful collectors have just been very lucky that a market emerged out of something they did through passion.

TNTwatch, ChrisN, STANDY and 2 others like this.
  16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 17, 2019

100% spot on.

Who would have thought a series like MadMen would create a buzz around vintage watches.

Who would have thought there would be 50,000 + members here 5 years ago

Who would have thought the Speedmaster watches we bought with bezels and bracelets years ago, cost less than than a bezel without even a watch today.

Who would have thought La,La Land would have had 1000s of new members looking for vintage Seamasters

Syrte and KingCrouchy like this.