Forums Latest Members
  1. BarretHC1 Feb 18, 2019

Hey guys, first time poster. Iv'e had a couple of tags, a rolex, a movado, a beetling, a fossil, and a couple of there watches. I'm in the market now for a chronograph that's a manual wind, but that's another story. A guy I work with has this particular Omega Constellation, he says $1000 is fair. I was ready to pull the trigger when I came across a pretty similar model on eBay for a lesser price. I don't know age, but the only things that look different other than the 2 tone is the star missing, and the hour markers......? Could someone fill me in with the differences? Thank you so much!!
    Watch1.jpg Watch2.jpg

Robert-Jan likes this.
  2. OMEGuy Feb 19, 2019

I don't know exactly which differences you're asking for.

These are totally different watches.

The first one has an automatic movement, the second one a quartz.

The second hand of the first one looks bent.

3. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 19, 2019

Hi,

Both are quartz watches. The first model you show was introduced in 1995 and was in the collection for about 6-7 years. The second model you show is from an earlier generation of 'Manhattan' models. I would say 1987-1995. Prior to that, the Constellation 'Manhattan' (introduced in 1982) looked again a bit different, with claws that pressed on the sapphire crystal. So the bezel was under the crystal as well, and the Roman numerals were located on the dial.

Below a picture of the very first Constellation in this style, called the 'Manhattan'.

[​IMG]

The quartz movements are all ETA, but modified for Omega. They actually look quite decent. The first model you show, has reference 1212.30 (might help you searching on C24 or eBay) and should come with the red leather box (most of these deteriorated over time). I think 1000 USD is a fair price for sure, especially when the watch is complete with box and papers (and warranty card).

Be aware though, that the quartz versions of this watch are rather small. From 32.5mm for the first Constellation 'Manhattan' from 1982 to 33.5mm for the reference 1212.30 you show us there. The automatic models are 36mm in diameter. Because the case shape isn't round (it really isn't), it does wear a bit bigger than 33.5mm. I have 18cm wrists and I wear my 1212.10 and original 'Manhattan' once in a while, but I also have to admit I really couldn't care less about what other people might think. I think it looks good. These watches wear amazingly comfortable, like a bracelet. On older models, you need to make sure that all the links are still tight enough (the caps on the bars had the tendency to fall off on older models, especially when there was too much play in them).

The second hand on your first picture looks a bit bend, but probably because of the long shutter time of the camera used (low light condition does this I guess).

Find below my quartz and automatic version of the Constellation'95 (as it is often referred to):

[​IMG]

4. OMEGuy Feb 19, 2019

I think I have seen the first with an automatic movement before. But I didn't notice there should be 'Chronometer Automatic on the dial in that case.

Thank you for your very detailed explanation. :thumbsup:

Robert-Jan likes this.
  5. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday Feb 19, 2019

You're welcome! :)

The automatic version of the first he shows is the one I show in my post. It is 36mm and has the 'Automatic and 'Chronometer' writing on the dial. You had these in several dial and bracelet configurations, as well as in full steel. The bi-color bracelets were available in full bar gold but also in 'half bar' gold, where only the end-caps are in gold. On some models (I think ladies models), only the center piece of the bar was in gold and the end-caps in steel. Then there were also full gold versions... those are actually 'bargains' today...

OMEGuy likes this.
  6. BarretHC1 Feb 19, 2019

Awesome detailed description and explanation of both watches! Thank you very much!

Robert-Jan likes this.