Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation white gold against stainless-steel

1. seamonster Respectable Member May 3, 2012

Respectable Members

There is an Omega Constellation in white gold and a few stainless-steel ones on eBay. I am unable to see the difference between this white gold piece and those stainless-steel ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251051331406?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Why do people have to pay more for a white gold watch against one in stainless-steel?

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 3, 2012

WG is for those who want to wear jewelry in a way that doesn't scream GOLD to everyone else. Collectors want it because it is uncommon,even rare.

3. seamonster Respectable Member May 3, 2012

Respectable Member MSNWatch

Thanks for the response.

Generally, on the average how many times more will a WG one cost against another in stainless-steel. Will a vintage-watch collector be able to distinguish between the two metals, at a distance.

Thank-you.

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 3, 2012

There really is no set premium for white over yellow gold or steel. A lot depends on the price of gold at a particular time and the overall gold weight. Any collector premium would be based more on the relative rarity of a particular model in WG. The "C" cases are a little more common in WG then say a Ref. 167.005 pie-pan or earlier Ref. 2852 models. However, all of these are rare.

At a distance, it would be difficult to see a difference between white gold and steel. Although, put them side by side and the difference would be very obvious. White gold has a much "warmer" look than steel. You can see this effect sometimes on the C cases in steel that have white gold bezels. I'm not even going to try to illustrate this as the difference is subtle enough that it's not going to show, even on a good internet picture.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. seamonster Respectable Member May 4, 2012

Respectable Member gatorcpa

Thanks for the information.

It is interesting to note, there is still some difference between white gold and stainless-steel, though only subtle. However the price difference between the two is not 'subtle' but very glaring, indeed. If I had the money, I prefer a gold watch, whether yellow, pink or white because forever, I can just forget about the corrosion issue. Even the best stainless-steel used by Omega and Rolex will still corrode, unfortunately.

Thank-you.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 5, 2012

Very keen to see what that platinum on mesh bracelet sells for at Christies this month, the last few WG models have exceeded estimate by a significant margin, no idea where a PT950 one stands.

7. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member May 6, 2012

I would like to add that the seller here, Ronnie, is a reputable seller that I would not hesitate to buy from.