Forums Latest Members
  1. Sturmvogel Jul 16, 2015

Hello,

I would really like to buy an original vintage Omega Constellation Pie Pan (ideally an oversized one), but I soon realised that being a novice in watch collecting I would almost certainly spend money for a fake or Frankenstein watch. That discouraged me as I also don't have the time to first study articles and comparing photos to be able to tell which one is the real deal and which is not.

Could anybody with good knowledge lead me to such a watch in original (if possible not too much restored) condition without any fake or modern replacement parts? It can be currently listed on eBay or a watch dealer website. I would just like to have confidence when spending the money for an old watch.

Thank you.

Roger

2. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2015

Hi Roger. Let me see if I remember the directions to that shortcut for people who don't want to do their homework and want a cherry vintage Constellation.......

....give me some time to find 'em........

Apa, NT931, JohnSteed and 2 others like this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2015

Yea there are really no oversized ones, they come in a 34.5mm and a hidden crown variant that's slightly larger but even that's hardly any bigger, there's no 38mm vintage piepan for example.

You should start by reading up on what's available at the Constellation Collector Blog here: http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com.au/

JohnSteed likes this.
  4. Sturmvogel Jul 16, 2015

Hi ulackfocus, I can understand your comment. I am a collector myself, just in a completely different area where I have over 20 years of experience and know exactly what is fake and what not. I would have made a similar comment like you if somebody asked me to point him to a rare item. However, I thought - and I may be mistaken - that watches from the 60ies are much less rare and there are plenty of them at any given time and that it would not be a big deal for an expert to tell a novice where he can buy a good one. I am not interested in rare watches. It can be a fairly common one.

Hi dsio, I found one online that had - if I remember correctly - 36mm, but that may have been a fake. I'd also be interested in a vintage 38mm one from the 40ies, but I assumed these are rarer and harder to find.

5. Lessismore Pro Constellation picker-outter! Jul 16, 2015

Sounds like you need to first narrow down what you are looking for.. then maybe... just maybe... someone here can help you.. for a small fortune...

6. Sturmvogel Jul 16, 2015

7. TexOmega Jul 16, 2015

Uh, those aren't Constellation Pie Pans. This is.

Omega cal 564 ref 168.010 (Copy).JPG

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 16, 2015

None of those are constellations.

I think we have one like that on the For Sale forum at the moment?

9. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 16, 2015

10. ulackfocus Jul 16, 2015

The only Constellation Pie Pan that's larger than 35 mm is the hidden crown 168.010 (or is it the 168.004? I always mix the two up).

And yes, they aren't exactly rare, just highly sought after so therefore expensive.

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. Sturmvogel Jul 16, 2015

I agree that is not a Constellation, but one that is larger than 35mm. I saw the one for sale at the forum. I really like it except the scratch on the dial at one o'clock. But otherwise, that is exactly the type of Omega I am looking for.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2015

That's the thing though, no oversize piepan was ever made, just the 34.5 and the slightly bigger hidden crown, oversize typically refers to 37-39 or so and while you can find some bumpers and even some late non-piepan Connies that are around that size (a very hard to find final jumbo connie can be found that's close) none are available as piepans.

You'll have to go for a non piepan if you want to go that big.

13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 16, 2015

I think that on these the dials are larger than the pie-pans, due to the short lugs and smaller bezel, but the diameter is roughly the same.

The largest of the cal. 56X models are the Ref. 14777 and 168.001 (same case, different Omega numbering system):

http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/2014/12/the-14395-daddy-of-jumbo-omega.html

http://www.mediafire.com/file/s5x27585l7dlnhs/Omega Constellation Jumbo.pdf

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 16, 2015

15. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 16, 2015

16. JohnSteed Jul 16, 2015

17. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 16, 2015

Also do keep in mind that some people will often list on eBay and other places incorrect measurements, particularly by including the crown in the measurement rather than doing it diagonally to get the correct value, I've also seen people try to wrap dressmaker's measuring tape around and getting a much larger value as a result.

18. NT931 Jul 16, 2015

Sturmvogel, here's an older thread with examples of 36mm 168.004 Connies, pie-pan and non-piepan. Hoi's example is particularly nice.

I have a 168.004 which is 36mm - it wears true to size, and definitely doesn't wear as large as my 37mm 2505. As you can see, the lugs are shorter and stubbier, so it wears as it should.
    photo.JPG

nickgr and Peemacgee like this.
  19. tdn-dk Jul 17, 2015

168.004 Pie-Pan

[​IMG]

tsbphd likes this.
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 17, 2015

Roger
    it is an unwritten rule that those posting do a bit of work themselves -as I'm sure all of the members are just as busy with their daily lives....

However, you will find that if you do find a watch that you would like to consider, the members here will be more than generous with their time in assisting you with information/appraisals if you post pictures

As previously noted, narrowing down what you are looking for is the first step to saving you some time

Desmond's site is an excellent and easily accessible source of information about many of the type (and sizes) of constellations available.
    The front page has a piece on 'jumbo' Constellations
    There are also some great threads on Connies showing a myriad of different styles (just try a search ) which will help

Good luck with your hunt!