Omega Constellation Pia Pan: thoughts?

I’m not the forums Connie expert, but first thing that sticks out is it def appears to be a service crown.

Also polished. The dog leg lugs are pretty soft. Starting bid at 400 Euro is fine, but it’s certainly going to go considerably higher than that and then add a 30% premium for auction fees, VAT, etc. Yikes. Unless this goes very cheap, I think that you would be better off shopping for a nice vintage Constellation on the private watch sales forum right here on OF. They come up for sale fairly regularly

As noted above the case is pretty soft and the overexposed photos are hiding the true condition of the dial which shows some discoloring.

Are you specifically looking for a solid gold watch?

The 14K bracelet is likely to add considerably to the final price and doesn't add anything special to the watch.

I do not like the picture from this auction site. It's to much light in them. If I would not read that the watch is solid gold 14k for me the bracelet on one side looks like steel.

I don't know this auction site and I probably never will because those images are horrible.

In my opinion, you should not be buying the watch off the auction pictures alone. If you get a chance to see it in person then it is a different story though. With respect to price then €400 is very fair for a Connie, but expect it to go higher.

@Frexicana
A dogleg lug pie-pan connie would be a very nice choice as a gift for your partner, however, this one may not be the best option.
It rather depends on what it is that you (and/or your partner) want in a vintage watch.

If it is simply the age of the watch that is the romantic essence of the gift then condition is not so important but condition of the lugs in a dogleg is usually what people are looking for, as it is the lugs that is the main appeal of this reference.

The lugs on the watch you posted are really quite soft and unappealing to most collectors.
But - because it has a 14k case and a 14k bracelet it will still likely fetch significantly over the top estimate, then there is commission on top of that.

You could find a much nicer watch for that kind of money.

I noticed that you have also been looking at Seamaster Devilles - if this style of case is appealing to you but you also like the look of a pie-pan dial, then you could check out other Constellation references 168.004 and 168.010. (they also come in dome dials like the Seamasters)

@Frexicana
A dogleg lug pie-pan connie would be a very nice choice as a gift for your partner, however, this one may not be the best option.
It rather depends on what it is that you (and/or your partner) want in a vintage watch.

If it is simply the age of the watch that is the romantic essence of the gift then condition is not so important but condition of the lugs in a dogleg is usually what people are looking for, as it is the lugs that is the main appeal of this reference.

The lugs on the watch you posted are really quite soft and unappealing to most collectors.
But - because it has a 14k case and a 14k bracelet it will still likely fetch significantly over the top estimate, then there is commission on top of that.

You could find a much nicer watch for that kind of money.

I noticed that you have also been looking at Seamaster Devilles - if this style of case is appealing to you but you also like the look of a pie-pan dial, then you could check out other Constellation references 168.004 and 168.010. (they also come in dome dials like the Seamasters)

Thank you! yes he likes the Seamaster De Ville and the constellation Pie Pan, although I think he is leaning more towards the constellation now. ill check out those references thanks!

If you won this watch at €1200 it would be a bargain. True, there is softness in the lugs, but not so much that you should walk away, especially if the watch is intended to be worn regularly.

The rest of the watch is in nice but dirty condition with a lot of micro scratches that can be easily removed with careful application of a silver cloth. The crown can be readily replaced by most good watchmakers, even those with no direct access to Omega, going on my own experience.

As has been pointed out, the bracelet adds no collector value, and can be sold to reduce the outlay.

@Frexicana I hope you go for it.