Forums Latest Members

Omega Constellation needing service

1. Disappointed Oct 16, 2013

Has anyone encountered the 4-5 year service requirement recommended by Omega? I have a Constellation purchased new in September 2009 from reputable Perth jeweller. For the first time I have just lodged the watch with Omega for battery replacement. They now advise that it requires an entire movement exchange - for around $600.

Is my Constellation going to cost me this much money every few years? I thought it could be something I could leave to my grandchildren, but I can't burden them with this ongoing expense. I believed that the movement was quality - but how is this defined if it doesn't work after 4 years?

I have a Seiko purchased new in 1982 which still keeps perfect time and looks beautiful, with nothing but battery replacement undertaken. I also have a Citizen (which I have given a hammering) purchased new in 2000 - after many years of daily dips in the ocean and gardening and renovating wearing this watch, it has never required anything more than replacement battery - and pressure testing still confirms it is just fine. I love watches and the first watch I ever purchased (a Swiss Felicia wind-up, and, I still remember exactly how much it cost) was in 1963 - it lasted for 16 years working perfectly until I leant it to my sister who didn't like it and threw it away. I have had cheap Asian knock-offs for fashion purposes which lasted more than 4 years.

In 50 years I have never had a watch that has failed as spectactularly as my purchase of a lifetime!

2. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

Why would it need an entire movement change? Was it keeping time correctly?

3. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2013

BTW, if you want a TRUE heirloom buy a mechanical, not quartz.

4. Disappointed Oct 16, 2013

it was keeping time until the battery died..... the service department tell me that service is necessary and they don't service the movement due to labour costs, and it needs replacement.

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

Did you ask why it needed the new battery? If it has had water enter it or anything of that nature?

Quartz watches are not heirlooms in general though, mechanical are built to last generation after generation, but battery will last as long as the movement is kept dry and in good condition, and as long as the battery hasn't leaked etc...

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

How long did you wait to service it after the battery died?

7. Disappointed Oct 16, 2013

I took it in immediately it stopped.... yes, it seems that water has entered the watch as the movement is corroded, but, my instruction manual simply stated that it should be rinsed in warm water after bathing in the ocean. It also stated that service required 4-5 years. They now tell me that the seals need to be replaced every two years..... while it may have had an excursion at the beach it was not frequent and I usually wore the good old Citizen

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

That'll be it then, a rusted quartz movement will easily need replacement. Seals need to be changed every two years, pressure test every year if you're taking it swimming.

9. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

There is nothing in the instructions that states this.....how is anyone to know? this is what they tell me now..... and you are repeating the Omega story, which is not mentioned in the manual, and was not advised to me at the time of purchase

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2013

I realise you're not happy, but its something people buying a quality watch tend to know, and it is in the manuals, and on the website, and all over the internet, and the fact that you've had your other watches pressure tested tends to indicate that you had heard about it as well. To not worry about it is a little akin to buying a Mercedes then taking it to the dealership after 5 years of no oil changes or maintenance and expecting it to still work simply because it cost a lot.

I've got quite a few Omega manuals and they're all basically the same, explaining on page 4:

"Water-resistance: a watch’s water-resistance cannot be permanently guaranteed. It may notably be affected by the ageing of gaskets or by an accidental shock to the crown. As stipulated in our service instruc- tions, we recommend you have the water resistance of your watch checked once a year by an authorised OMEGA Service Centre."

You can see a copy here: http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/customer_service/user_manual/OMEGA_User_Manual_EN.pdf

After getting the movement replaced, change the seals and pressure test regularly and it will last a very long time.

11. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

By the way, my Mecedes is still going well and costing me less than this watch after almost 20 years of good service ..... I take care of my investments and usually get good wear out of them. This has been a major disappointment.

12. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 17, 2013

Omega used ETA quartz movements for most of their "modern" quartz watches. If you check with an independent watchmaker he may swap the movement for an equivalent ETA movement. As an example the Omega caliber 1532 should be equivalent to a ETA 255.111. The complete ETA movement should as parts retail around GBP100 or less (depending on your watchmakers markup).

13. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

thank you for your advice.... however, I am curious to know what people think about the claim to superior workmanship when this happens .... and, it seems to me from this forum to be accepted as the norm with this item.

I am still questioning why I spent money on what I thought was a quality item only to find that the ongoing maintenance costs are so high. If it is really a quality item I should be able to rely on it to perform for many years

14. Northernman Lemaniac Oct 17, 2013

The Connie range was never really a sports watch as such. I guess it will handle a round on the golf track, however for swimming the Seamaster range is the way to go.

I do fully understand your disappointment though.

Water ingress is something of the worst that can happen to a watch movement.
    Waterproof capabilities has little to do with the price. You can buy GBP 50.000+ watches that should be kept far away from water, and you can pick up cheap ones that will happily join you on a scuba trip (Seiko/Citizen or even cheaper).
    Workmanship and waterproofness is not really connected. One of my dream watches would be the Breguet classic tourbillion chronograph. Nobody(?) would question the workmanship of such a delicate watch, but it would be total lunacy to bring along for a swim.
    A little like taking your Ferrari around an off-road track.

15. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Oct 17, 2013

One thing to take note if you own an expensive quartz watch is to change you battery every maybe 2-3 years. Never wait for the battery to go entirely dry. Could it be a battery leak that warrants the entire movement to be replaced?

16. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

Can you please tell me what is the point of having a watch which simply can't cope with daily wear?

17. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

This has not been my experience with other watches. Why is it that this supposedly high quality watch requires this attention?

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2013

This has been made clear to you several times now... you need to change seals and pressure test regularly as well as change the battery on a quartz watch, the price tag is utterly irrelevant, maintenance is always required.

19. Disappointed Oct 17, 2013

do you work for Omega? why does the Omega require more maintenance than other watches? As well as the 30 year old Seiko, and the 13 year old Citizen, I also have a 6 year old Skagen which is working perfectly without any other attention.

Are you saying that to keep this watch I will need to pay this kind of money every couple years?

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2013

I don't work for Omega, none of us do, we're watch collectors.

1: It doesn't require more work than your others, the others require new seals and pressure tests as well, you simply got lucky or they saw less water.

2: You are not required to buy a new movement every two years, just pay for new seals which is ~$40 and a battery. When the battery is changed new seals are always installed at the same time and a pressure test is performed.

3: You can choose not to change the seals if you like, and you could get lucky and have it go for 20 years without leaking on the same seals. However if you do that you forfeit the right to complain if it does leak as you're neglecting maintenance at your own risk.

4: Water needs to be kept out of watches, they do so with rubberised seals. All watches use seals, there's no special premium material a $100,000 watch has that a $500 watch doesn't. As with any rubberised seal in a car or anywhere else they degrade with time and need replacing, they also happen to be very cheap.

5: The ongoing costs are batteries (which are cheap) and seals (which are cheap) spend the ~$40 every two years and you'll be fine.